Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Colonel Cancer posted:

Virgin directors spending hours framing their shot and babbling about their true artiste vision, me? I just wanna see explosions go boom. Preferably with subs saying "fiery explosion" below.

[SUBTITLES INTENSIFY]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

Worf posted:

dont care

lol if you let somebody elses effort dictate how you experience and appreciate "art"

excuse me someone spent hundreds of hours making sure that cartoon schoolgirls boobs jiggle in just the right way and you just dismiss that!?

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Sub a dub dub, three animes in a tub

Dr. Gojo Shioji
Apr 22, 2004

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

excuse me someone spent hundreds of hours making sure that cartoon schoolgirls boobs jiggle in just the right way and you just dismiss that!?

I got a good chuckle from the joke someone made on here about how many creative meetings were held to determine the size of Shinji's load.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Animated dubs tend to be ok these days but man live action dubs are just absolutely atrocious across the board

I can't remember the name of it, but there is a Korean war film where men are going off on a train to fight and there are hundreds of them chanting and waving flags. Problem is, the dub director decided to take only two actors, one going "We will fight!" and the other going "Yes we will!", and simply multiplied them and overlaid the samples over each other in an unintentionally comedic way of making it seem like it was a big crowd, if that makes sense. It's just two voices sounding like an old ventrilo channel loving up

I mean, for fucks sake come on lol, you couldnt just get a group of random rear end people to cheer out some lines? :psyduck:

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

I assume if you prefer dubs over subs that you basically don't know how to interact with humans lol

Like nine out of 10 words are f****** erroneous anyways lmao

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Imagine talking about taking in the visual scenes and also sitting there watching somebody's lips not make any sense whatsoever and thinking that's completely natural and okay

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
I don't even own a tv, I just watch the blind channel on my radio

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Dubs are better in Korean slock like squid game because who cares.

Subs are better in Korean masterpieces like Parasite.

Lmfao could you imagine a dub of parasite? Awful.

In all seriousness I usually have subtitles on for everything because I can't hear good or the levels are all hosed and all dialogue is a whisper and all other audio is loud af.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

The knowledge that you're not always looking in the proper place that the director intended must haunt you

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Worf posted:

The knowledge that you're not always looking in the proper place that the director intended must haunt you

It truly does. Might as well just read a book like a loving nerd.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

Saalkin posted:

In all seriousness I usually have subtitles on for everything because I can't hear good or the levels are all hosed and all dialogue is a whisper and all other audio is loud af.

Same, for some reason modern movies have hosed audio where speaking voices are way too low and the sound effects way too loud so i always gotta watch those things with the remote at hand to constantly shift the volume.

loving directors can suck my poo poo

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

In my limited anime experience tho, dubs result in an American cartoon VA using their sitcom mom voice for a woman in existential anguish as she blackmails some traumatized teenagers into killing god or w/e.

At least if it's in Japanese I can't typically tell if the acting is bad unless it's *really* bad.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Ah poo poo I thought this was about wheels vs speakers but this is GBS

Relevant to thread, though:

Saalkin posted:

Same here.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Live-action movies should ALWAYS be subbed and not dubbed for an American idiot like me. Imagine something like a Fellini or Bergman or del Toro film with new voice actors plastered over the original actors’ voices in their beautiful native tongue. Just :lmao: that would be godawful.

Hell, I remember reading something by Paul McCartney recalling when they were ready to release A Hard Day’s Night in America. Producers wanted to dub over everyone’s voices with American actors because they feared American audiences wouldn’t understand the Liverpudlian accents. Paul told them something like, “If we can watch and understand John Wayne Texas cowboy movies with thick Southern accents in England, then you can release our movie in your country with our own loving voices.” Americans not understanding English; outstanding.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN
These days I'll take a bad dub over subs bc I am an adult now and have an inexplicably infinite pile of clothes to fold

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Anime addled Americans didn't have the experience of amateur dubbed Hollywood films

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
I understand all languages and don't need subtitles.

I do prefer dommes to subs tho

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
Oh yeah man subs all the way. How else are you going to understand the subtle nuances of all 366 episodes of "Bleach"?

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
Dubs were invented in the 1930s by fascist Germany, Italy and Spain wanting to control what information their population had access to, thus they simply dubbed over any "problematic" speech so that even people who could speak foreign wouldn't be able to receive it.

These countries still dub many foreign movies :thunk:

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

So it probably won't be long before America starts dubbing over black actors roles with white actors

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
America wants to replace all actors with "Dwayne" the Rock and Chris Pratt

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

The Whire

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

But instead of Jordans all the kids want new balance

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

I grew up watching kaiju and anime movies and TV shows in the ‘80s and ‘90s on fringe channels that were almost always dubbed for American audiences. It wasn’t really until the DVD era where I could watch a movie with multiple audio tracks including the original Japanese language track with subs for the first time. It was a neat feature and time to experience old media for the first time again, but overall, I grew up with dubs and still prefer them to subs to this day. I’m not particular about it, though.

Honestly, though, if it’s a musical or has a song or two in it, I always find the Japanese language version to be superior.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

What kind of fringe channel do you mean?

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Worf posted:

What kind of fringe channel do you mean?

I meant something like an independent UHF station or local OTA channel on a Saturday or Sunday night (fringe might have been the wrong word to use), but I’ll expand it to very early cable TV in the ‘80s when channels didn’t have a clear idea of what their programming was gonna be just yet, so they just showed whatever to fill gaps. Disney Channel and HBO were great for this.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
i have subs on everything even if it's in English because i have hosed up hearing so it really doesn't matter !!!!!!

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

all anime is bad

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

If you watch any foreign movies, original voicework is always superior to some Midwestern douchebag dubbing over. For anime you can just turn off the sound and then shut off the screen tho

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

Worf posted:

So it probably won't be long before America starts dubbing over black actors roles with white actors

how out of touch with pop culture can you be

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

20 Blunts posted:

how out of touch with pop culture can you be

It was a joke dude

But when Ron DeSantis becomes president it'll also probably be reality lol

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
When Ron DeSantis becomes president the only thing on TV will be Ron DeSantis

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Extra Large Marge posted:

When Ron DeSantis becomes president the only thing on TV will be Ron DeSantis

That's more than likely true and then I will switch to dubs

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

You Are A Elf posted:

I meant something like an independent UHF station or local OTA channel on a Saturday or Sunday night (fringe might have been the wrong word to use), but I’ll expand it to very early cable TV in the ‘80s when channels didn’t have a clear idea of what their programming was gonna be just yet, so they just showed whatever to fill gaps. Disney Channel and HBO were great for this.

Cool I hear you, I don't know what I would have called those channels either

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

I plug my ears and feel the tremors from my tv speakers

Savage For The Winjun
Jun 27, 2008

I like dubs for animu because its just background noise while im doing something else.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

I wonder what dubbed king of the hill is like

Malaysian Bill dauterive

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DeNdBKe1l0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hY3A5I7m060