Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Mishmash of two different descriptions posted:

Urusei Yatsura is the story of the unluckiest and most lecherous young man alive, Ataru Moroboshi. When aliens decide to invade Earth, Ataru is randomly selected to defend his planet by playing a game of the aliens' national sport, tag. Should he win, the world shall be saved. However, Ataru is motivated for far less noble reasons, as the one he plays against is revealed to be the curvaceous alien princess, Lum. The game goes for 10 days, and on the last day, Ataru, motivated by his girlfriend assuring him marriage should he win, finally catches Lum. However, misfortune kicks in again when Lum mistakes Ataru's promise to marry his girlfriend, Shinobu Miyake, as the desire to wed Lum herself, and decides she rather likes the idea. Wielding her influence as an alien princess, she moves in with him. Forced to deal with the consequences of his womanizing ways, Ataru must balance his crumbling relationship with Shinobu while keeping Lum happy, all the while flirting with every woman he meets.

Originally a manga series by a pre-Inuyasha and pre-Ranma Rumiko Takahashi, then an anime spanning 194 eps from 1981-86, Urusei Yatsura is now once again in the limelight courtesy of Studio David. The first ep just premiered yesterday, and the OP was enough to hook me in as a first-time watcher. Maybe it'll do the same for you:

https://twitter.com/uy_allstars/status/1580608302752227328

As I said, I've never read a page nor watched an ep of the series before, but the frantic pace, unabashed slapstick, and electrifying(!) hijinks of the first episode of this reboot have me wanting to see if the momentum's kept up for the rest of the season.

(It's worth noting that it won't be a complete adaptation, but rather animating select chapters or scenes from the manga. Or so I've read. This part will be edited out if/when I eat crow.)

symbolic fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Oct 14, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

(apologies for any barebones or misinformation or w/e, like i said: first-time experience with the series, and there wasn't a thread already)

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

welcome to Japanese Looney Tunes

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I loved the part where she Lum'd all over those guys

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

I liked the part where they got married.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Not big on the song for the OP but the visuals are really fun.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Also new to Urusei Yatsura. I know a bit about it from Osmosis. And I found the first episode to be funny.

Ataru's a good suffering protagonist cause he's enough of a poo poo that we can think he deserves what happens to him.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Arc Hammer posted:

Ataru Tinder swiping only to see Lum and no one but Lum and also he's surrounded by Lums is the best visual gag :allears:

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
So this is the famous anime sexygirl anime

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Despite religiously watching Ranma 1/2 as a teen and love-hating (hate-loving?) Inuyasha, I have somehow never watched Urusei Yatsura nor read the manga. So I am pretty curious about this.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I absolutely appreciate that this has David Production's fingerprints all over it in terms of it's OP, the ideology that colour guides are a suggestion and the Onomatopoeia.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Arc Hammer posted:

i liked the song but the animation absolutely makes it. stylish af

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Not just JoJo'd up but on that hypercolorful Part 4 tip like Captain Tsubasa was on. Very fun, electrying watch. This whole decade and change have been a trip for these slick modern reboots of old manga that deliberately do nothing to make you not think "this sure feels like something from the 80's." Whether the material "holds up" to us is really beside the point, the people making the thing already 100% believe in it. JoJo by itself is great proof that this pumped up aesthetic affect(the wild colors and pacing and use of SFX) can be used for many different tones and genre and its great seeing that promis play out holy poo poo

I checked out some of Oshii's og series and something both adaptations get right away is how absolutely godamn actually everybody is in their business lmao. By the end of the first half of both shows" firet eps, Lum and Ataru are Mrs and Mr Worldwide, and like assholes, everyone has an opinion. Their families, the school body, the entire town, the government, media, other aliens. It's a great dimension to the looney tunesy hunor, this ehole ecosystem of dickheads getting in on the sport of despising Ataru. A lot of Imaishi's stuff is shooting for exactly this vibe and sometimes gets close, but u really cant get better than Takahashi.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/RBKapoor1/status/1580931285966499840?s=20&t=SqPnRqDDVxg5KFPqbyKaeA

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

The original Urusei Yatsura has lots of good/memorable songs (from both the anime and movies). Some are nostalgic because I burned them onto CDs and would listen to them on the drive to high school.

I actually had a college class where we watched Beautiful Dreamer (plus a bunch of other stuff). One of the general ed requirements was this cultural course, and for the one I took the professor was this Japanese professor with a focus on Japanese animated cinema. I remember learning that like half of the anime up until the 90s are apparently allusions to the atomic bomb.

Favorite Urusei Yatsura songs:
Melancholy no Kiseki - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwqNniVkuZA (I like this style of 80's Japanese pop song a lot)
Uchuu wa Taihen Da - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJ3U-BvKLz4
Pajama Jama Da - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJj8p5X4z0I

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
So excited to check this out. Ranma was my intro to anime/Manga way way back, and I'd see adds for these movies all the time. I was thinking about checking out the old series but this got announced, probably wait til after I watch this.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I forget, did the Ranma anime get anything that could be described as an ending out of curiosity or did it just kind of stop? Either way, they should reboot that next and follow the whole manga all the way through.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
I like Urusei Yatsura but it's not my favorite Takahashi work, that goes to either Maison Ikkoku or Ranma 1/2. It would be nice if Ranma got a remake too since the anime was never completed. Hoping they add the episode of the living potatoes who wants to kill them at some point because that poo poo was a trip and a half.

Larryb posted:

I forget, did the Ranma anime get anything that could be described as an ending out of curiosity or did it just kind of stop? Either way, they should reboot that next and follow the whole manga all the way through.

iirc it just stops yeah. There were OVAs and movies but they never finished the story.

Big Scary Owl fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Oct 14, 2022

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

I'm gonna be in the minority, but while the Studio David OP was fun, this is honestly what's getting me to check the show out. I figured it had to be someone mixing up old tracks with some ad-lib or something, but no it's the actual old UK dub of the show and looking at a fuller version of it on YouTube there's some fantastic lines. It's still weird hearing the variety of accents in an anime dub too. There's even some Northern Ireland in there.

Who'll be streaming this, out of curiosity? It's not on Crunchyroll at the very least.

tsob fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Oct 14, 2022

Daedalus1134
Sep 14, 2005

They see me rollin'

Lum and Urusei Yatsura was my first introduction to anime as a concept. My dad had a shirt from Beautiful Dreamer he would wear every once in a while in the early 90s, and I always remember he would get random approval from people walking around the college areas in our neighborhood. It was decades later before I watched the TV show, but it still holds lots of good memories.

I'll have to throw the first episode in his media server and see how long it takes him to find it.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

tsob posted:

Who'll be streaming this, out of curiosity? It's not on Crunchyroll at the very least.

HIDIVE

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

Holy poo poo, Urusei Yatsura. It's been so long since I read it, and I never expect to see a reboot, so thank you for bringing it to my attention!

It's been a long time since I thought about my love for Ataru and Lum. Ataru's a lech and Lum's a jealous shrew and they both treat each other terribly, and I don't remember that they ever really get much better. But they're both honest, open, kindhearted people, teenagers who are obviously going to grow and become better people once they pull their heads from their asses and actually learn something. They've both vaguely stuck with me for decades, so I'm thrilled to see why I loved them reveal itself to me again.

I adore the decision to stick to the time period and not set things in modern times. There's just something about the rotary phones and knob-turn CRT with crooked antenna (and Lum having a spaceship with CRT monitors) that really speaks to me.

I can't remember how long it takes to get to Ryuunosuke, so I was sad to see they weren't a cameo in the OP. Hopefully season 2?

Amstrad
Apr 4, 2007

To destroy evil you must become an even greater evil.
Watching this I was struck by the weird mix of technology levels on display. The modern tech seems to be contained entirely within the OP, but it'll be interesting to see if that holds true for the entire show.

From the OP, obvious modern large flat screen street display:

Meanwhile, stadium display right out of the 80s:

And similar vintage TV at home:

Even Lum's spaceship is using a bigass CRT:

From the OP, smartphone!

In the episode, rotary!

The one weird standout from the OP however is the tape deck boombox:

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
The Modern stuff appears to purely be a dream of Ataru's in the OP

See he looks at his hand and sees the phone is gone just after waking up.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

goblin week posted:

So this is the famous anime sexygirl anime
the world's second-most famous swimsuit!

e:

MonsterEnvy posted:

at least it only takes 19 seconds to establish that 9/11 happened in the Urusei Yatsura Universe.

TenementFunster fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Oct 14, 2022

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

MonsterEnvy posted:

See he looks at his hand and sees the phone is gone just after waking up.

oh drat i didn't even realize that

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
drat Ataru is a genius who can see the future. Should have pioneered some of those inventions.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I know I'd pay a pretty penny for Tinder But It's All Lum

Amstrad
Apr 4, 2007

To destroy evil you must become an even greater evil.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Huh! That's a really good interpretation of the whole thing. Well spotted!

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Amstrad posted:

From the OP, obvious modern large flat screen street display:

i figured that was a reference to the shinjuku studio alta display, which has been there since the 80s, and has been featured in a bunch of shows set in Tokyo anytime they needed an establishment shot of "shocked public reactions to news broadcasts."

we get a shibuya 109, as well:

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Ytlaya posted:

The original Urusei Yatsura has lots of good/memorable songs (from both the anime and movies). Some are nostalgic because I burned them onto CDs and would listen to them on the drive to high school.

I actually had a college class where we watched Beautiful Dreamer (plus a bunch of other stuff). One of the general ed requirements was this cultural course, and for the one I took the professor was this Japanese professor with a focus on Japanese animated cinema. I remember learning that like half of the anime up until the 90s are apparently allusions to the atomic bomb.

Favorite Urusei Yatsura songs:
Melancholy no Kiseki - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwqNniVkuZA (I like this style of 80's Japanese pop song a lot)
Uchuu wa Taihen Da - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJ3U-BvKLz4
Pajama Jama Da - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJj8p5X4z0I

The biggest ear worm, just hearing the words "Dancing" or "Star" can get it stuck in my head all day

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MpHiToy6N4

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

The original TV theme is iconic that even the new series uses a few bars as background music in the show

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
im not too proud to admit that ive never looked closely at a picture of lum before and until i watched the ep i thought she was a catgirl

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

I read a lot of the manga back in the day, though the English releases we got were sort of random collections of stories rather than the whole series chronologically. I still have my copy of "Lum * Urusei Yatsura Perfect Collection," published by Viz in '94, despite how it's literally falling apart.

For better or worse, this new series doesn't look like it's going to try to "modernize" the humor in any way, and while that means some of it is going to be dated, that's probably better than trying to make UY something that it isn't. It's schlocky, and as much cartoon as it is anime. It influenced tons and tons of series in the decades since, to the point where many might not even be aware that the cliches they constantly regurgitate were invented by UY, and us old folks reserve the right to say it did all of them better. :bahgawd:

Amstrad posted:

Watching this I was struck by the weird mix of technology levels on display. The modern tech seems to be contained entirely within the OP, but it'll be interesting to see if that holds true for the entire show.

This is a great call-out. You gotta love it when sci-fi has technology depicted to match the period it's meant to invoke rather than the present-day it's being published in, even though, because this is a remake, it makes it kind of given.

Mazed fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Oct 15, 2022

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
'Ey Lum, Ow!

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Holy poo poo it's Lum

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Mazed posted:

I read a lot of the manga back in the day, though the English releases we got were sort of random collections of stories rather than the whole series chronologically. I still have my copy of "Lum * Urusei Yatsura Perfect Collection," published by Viz in '94, despite how it's literally falling apart.

For better or worse, this new series doesn't look like it's going to try to "modernize" the humor in any way, and while that means some of it is going to be dated, that's probably better than trying to make UY something that it isn't. It's schlocky, and as much cartoon as it is anime. It influenced tons and tons of series in the decades since, to the point where many might not even be aware that the cliches they constantly regurgitate were invented by UY, and us old folks reserve the right to say it did all of them better. :bahgawd:

This is a great call-out. You gotta love it when sci-fi has technology depicted to match the period it's meant to invoke rather than the present-day it's being published in, even though, because this is a remake, it makes it kind of given.

Whilst it's not modernising the humour, it is tweaking it to run better between normalising Lum's behaviour (which was significantly more antagonistic in the original due to various factors) and to have things make more sense like how Ataru got Lum's (apparently only) top the night before in the comic and still had it going into the final day was moved up to the final day.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

ConanThe3rd posted:

Whilst it's not modernising the humour, it is tweaking it to run better between normalising Lum's behaviour (which was significantly more antagonistic in the original due to various factors) and to have things make more sense like how Ataru got Lum's (apparently only) top the night before in the comic and still had it going into the final day was moved up to the final day.

that's true, suspension of disbelief is important. There is no way a princess, however alien, wouldn't have thousands of changes of clothes, even if it's all the exact same tiger bikini.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Meme Emulator posted:

The biggest ear worm, just hearing the words "Dancing" or "Star" can get it stuck in my head all day

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MpHiToy6N4

I considered posting this one also (plus a couple others) but decided to limit the list to 3.

Though I guess I should probably link the original first OP. I assumed most people are familiar with it, but just realized that that's probably a bizarre and wrong assumption given it's a 31 year old anime* - Lum no Love Song https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hulET9tn9M

* coincidentally, this is almost exactly true; apparently the anime originally aired on October 14th 1981

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Ytlaya posted:

I considered posting this one also (plus a couple others) but decided to limit the list to 3.

Though I guess I should probably link the original first OP. I assumed most people are familiar with it, but just realized that that's probably a bizarre and wrong assumption given it's a 31 year old anime* - Lum no Love Song https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hulET9tn9M

* coincidentally, this is almost exactly true; apparently the anime originally aired on October 14th 1981

Don't you mean 41