Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
lma-ah-ah-eh-oh-ah-ah-oh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

an anime 'of a certain age'

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

MonsterEnvy posted:

Don't you mean 41

Having a moment here as I remember that we're living in the year 2022

Daedalus1134
Sep 14, 2005

They see me rollin'

This popped up for me on twitter, all the manga volumes had a guest artist drawing Lum and describing what the character meant to them.

https://furinkan.com/uy/manga/shin01.html

Lots of famous manga artists, Junji Ito, Kiyohiko Azuma, Tetsuo Hara, and a bunch of others. You can cycle through them with the numbers on the page.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
I watched the first episode and my takeaway is that in 1980s you could really squeeze 200 episodes out of such a simple premise

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

goblin week posted:

I watched the first episode and my takeaway is that in 1980s you could really squeeze 200 episodes out of such a simple premise

its easy to make comedies endless

like Friends is 236 episodes

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

cheetah7071 posted:

its easy to make comedies endless

like Friends is 236 episodes

Phineas and Ferb has 129 episodes (which are mostly two individual stories per episode for a total of 222 actual episodes) where almost every episode follows a really simple formula. Which became so familiar that they could make one episode where no character spoke at all beyond grunts, and it's still possible to follow along so long as you're familiar with the general formula/structure of the episode, because a lot of it is very rote and the humor comes from the ways that formula is subverted episode to episode.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

goblin week posted:

I see this is the first time you've read or watched anything by Rumiko Takahashi.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Daedalus1134 posted:

This popped up for me on twitter, all the manga volumes had a guest artist drawing Lum and describing what the character meant to them.

https://furinkan.com/uy/manga/shin01.html

Lots of famous manga artists, Junji Ito, Kiyohiko Azuma, Tetsuo Hara, and a bunch of others. You can cycle through them with the numbers on the page.

picturing a chapter of UY drawn by Junji Ito in his style, but otherwise completely unchanged in terms of general character design

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I kind of want to see one by Chika Umino (Honey & Clover / Like a Lion)

It'd be super round, super real and super depressing.

Edit: Didn't expect a Rin-Ne reference but, hey, I'm not saying no.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Oct 20, 2022

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Episode 2 is out. And it looks like Mendou is coming next episode as we get a preview of him.

Amstrad
Apr 4, 2007

To destroy evil you must become an even greater evil.

goblin week posted:

This same base idea has worked for situational comedy for a long time. So long as they don't make too many lasting changes to the status-quo and more or less resolve the conflicts that come up in each episode there's no real reason to stop so long as the watch ratings justify producing more episodes.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It also works better for comedies than for more typically serialized manga adventures because you can throw on any episode and get what you'd expect from a half hour slapstick fest.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
i like that ataru is such a sleazeball that you don't feel bad for him when lum kicks his rear end lol

that was a problem with a lot of the 90s romcom animes I watched, where the main character was basically a good guy so they had to set up elaborate slapstick misunderstandings to make the girl hit him

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Yeah Ataru’s main things are bad luck and that he’s a lech. And the later makes you not feel bad for him when the former comes up.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

gently caress harem anime, Lum is my favorite isekai protagonist

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Ataru also gets manga chapters where's he actually a normal guy just hanging out and that goes along way to making him more likeable. Also makes it more funny when he goes all in on being a jerk too

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

cheetah7071 posted:

i like that ataru is such a sleazeball that you don't feel bad for him when lum kicks his rear end lol

that was a problem with a lot of the 90s romcom animes I watched, where the main character was basically a good guy so they had to set up elaborate slapstick misunderstandings to make the girl hit him

It’s really wanting to have your cake and eat it too. I don’t even know how this got so popular, it’s funnier when someone gets their comeuppance instead of a stupid comedy of errors that results in a good guy getting bashed in the head for no reason

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

People copying Takahashi while not getting what makes Takahashi comedies work.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Episode thoughts.

Sakura's VA is absolutely bonkers. Whole ham. Her exorcism was easily the episode highlight for that alone.

Wondering if the "stormtroopers" are gonna have a significant role in this anime take on UY, or if they're sticking to manga characterization. The main friend guy in this last episode was ostensibly Megane, but the other dude only seemed like just another dude rather than a recognizable member of the quartet.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

They've been nailing this remake so far, everything is just as stupid and dumb as it needs to be in the best way possible :allears:

Miyuki Sawashiro as Sakura continues this work's excellent casting.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

I missed out on this series when I was younger, despite being pretty big into some of Takahashi's other work. No surprise that I'm digging it, I love her commitment to making everyone an idiot.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
roflmao years of animating JoJo has made DavidPro too powerful when it comes to manga-inspired reaction shots:

as well as portraying the pain of advanced grappling attacks:

just look at this little slur get owned

~u r already ded~

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.
drat, no studio does colour quite like David. They make these really saturated hues work super nicely when they could easily be too much.

Oh, and the green haired tiger-bikini dame is fun to, I guess.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Popo posted:

Oh, and the green haired tiger-bikini dame is fun to, I guess.
if i have to accept that lynn minmay is the first vtuber, then we all have to accept that lum is the first harem anime tsundere waifu

also i refuse to investigate further, but i have a chilling suspicion that the ED (which is a great fit for the series) is performed by a vtuber

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Yes KAF is a v-tuber. Not even the first one to do an anime ED.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
h

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Julias posted:

Yes KAF is a v-tuber. Not even the first one to do an anime ED.
ill take your word for it because it seems like you know a lot more than i do on this topic

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

TenementFunster posted:

~u r already ded~

Reminded about how Mamoru Oshii said he made Lum "less scary" in the first anime.

Coward.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Lums eye shadow being red is an affront to the source material

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
https://twitter.com/Faulerro/status/1584275217504837633

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

ROIGHT CHUFFED BY THAT I AM

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I want more of the amazing adventures of Newscasters Dave and Larry.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
But what happened to the poor chinchilla?

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
It was never seen again. They said so right there.

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!

I got an embarrassingly long way into that video before I realised it wasn't from the original BBC dub, which goes to show they did a good job of emulating it I guess :v:

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Ataru's voice is spot on but it does become a bit "Fact Hunt meets Sonic The Comic The Podcast" with the newscasters.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Watching Lum zap Ataru all the time makes me wonder if this is where Pokemon got its inspiration for their Pikachu zapping Ash gags

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Given the width and breath of random poo poo OG Pokemon The Series referenced (and given how much of a little poo poo Pikachu could be in it) there's a non-zero chance of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Mendo was a good addition to the cast.