Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Srice posted:

Beautiful Dreamer - A legit masterpiece. If you haven't seen it you absolutely gotta fix that!

super-redguy posted:

Beautiful Dreamer is one of the greatest animated movies of all time.

Mazed posted:

Beautiful Dreamer is phenomenal.

Okay, fine. I know what I'll be doing in a few days after I find a way to watch this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

ConanThe3rd posted:

The fifth one: "Final Chapter"

Which looking it up was a direct adaptation of the final arc of the manga

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Urusei Yatsura: The Final Chapter.

We all float like Lum.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

I'm going to counter this BD love by saying that no you shouldn't watch if if you are interested in Urusei Yatsura because it's terrible at being a UY story. And Oshii is a sexist prick with blatant contempt towards the woman that enabled him to have a carrer.

Dr Pepper fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Nov 3, 2022

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Dr Pepper posted:

I'm going to counter this BD love by saying that no you shouldn't watch if if you tell interested in Urusei Yatsura because it's terrible at being a UY story. And Oshii is a sexist prick with blatant contempt towards the woman that enabled him to have a carrer.

Wasn’t Lum’s personality toned down a fair bit in the original anime as well?

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Yeah the old anime people worked to make Lum "less scary" lol

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Scary in the 70s 80s is tame nowadays the same way 90s simpsons was considered transgressive.

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

Saoshyant posted:

Okay, fine. I know what I'll be doing in a few days after I find a way to watch this.

it's cool as heck, have fun. warning: must enjoy 30 second shots of a tank turret being inserted into ataru's mouth and other weird ominous oshii style stuff

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Dr Pepper posted:

I'm going to counter this BD love by saying that no you shouldn't watch if if you are interested in Urusei Yatsura because it's terrible at being a UY story.
The remake showed me I'm not interested in UY at all so I'll check it out

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Beautiful Dreamer is on Prime, dubbed only

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
So appearntly with the new episode Mendo was not around during the original story. Someone who did a review noted in the original anime where they redid certain plots with newer characters introduced, they made sure to do this one before Mendo came around because Mendo would have been the Princess's type.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

MonsterEnvy posted:

So appearntly with the new episode Mendo was not around during the original story. Someone who did a review noted in the original anime where they redid certain plots with newer characters introduced, they made sure to do this one before Mendo came around because Mendo would have been the Princess's type.

Yea the original anime did a ton of that. Like for instance Ten is introduced in the second episode whereas in the manga he doesn't show up until about 7 volumes in. Makes the dynamic between him and Ataru come across differently between versions since you see so much more of him early on in the anime.

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!
https://twitter.com/Faulerro/status/1588269771447058433
Shinobu should be able to canonically say "minging" imo

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Princess "I am literally only interested in looks and somehow you are still managing to gently caress this up" Kurama was honestly the perfect choice to follow up and solidify Mendo's character with.

also no one batting an eye when Lum shows up with a loving gun

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

All Kurama wants is to get laid with a hot guy and honestly that's inspirational. Good luck.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Even now I laugh at the fact that the Karasu-tengu eventually became humanoid in 120 generations because a humanoid got it on with the bird queen.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwzRR6Bsro4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFMmSOWPj_k

official PVs for the opening and ending

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Lum looks so tired in those pvs.

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!
The post credits teaser on this one! Looking forward to Lum's girl gang getting back together

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

The animation seemed a bit jank in ep 5 compared to the previous four, but I suppose they can't all be spotless.

All in all, a perfectly serviceable "breather" episode to space out the character intros. The quieter bits of the second part were nice, departing from the gag-a-minute pacing.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Srice posted:

Yea the original anime did a ton of that. Like for instance Ten is introduced in the second episode whereas in the manga he doesn't show up until about 7 volumes in. Makes the dynamic between him and Ataru come across differently between versions since you see so much more of him early on in the anime.

The thing that made me hoot and hollar about the OP the most was that Ten didnt show up at all

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I've been peppering in some eps of the original lately, will be fun to compare with the new one. And been meaning to see the 80s movies forever.

Also been meaning to re-read / finish reading Ranma forever too. Takahashi rules. Maison Ikkoku is one of my fav anime.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Steve Yun posted:

Beautiful Dreamer is on Prime, dubbed only

It's on Crunchyroll dubbed and subbed.
It's also one of my favorite films ever.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Not going to lie, I was half way expecting other Rumic MC's to show up to try and become the MC of the show in the third skit.

Gahmah
Nov 4, 2009
Watched Beautiful Dreamer last night. Y'all right it's pretty good.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
I love that Lum covered up on Neptune, but her idea of covering up still leaves her belly exposed.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Yaknow I don't know what's the worse read for Ep7. That Cherry eat the kid's pet or the kid had a full rear end adult for a pet and he name him Poochie.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
In my experience, characters in a Takahashi comedy are either incurably selfish, incurably stupid, or both.

But then, I'm the guy who keeps saying Ranma 1/2 is in the same comedic lineage as A Midsummer Night's Dream, so don't listen to me.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Rinne seems to break that by having the one character be the king of all selfish stupid pricks and everyone else being contextually daft.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Keromaru5 posted:

In my experience, characters in a Takahashi comedy are either incurably selfish, incurably stupid, or both.

But then, I'm the guy who keeps saying Ranma 1/2 is in the same comedic lineage as A Midsummer Night's Dream, so don't listen to me.

you are not wrong, on both counts.

I'm looking forward to :black101:Ran:black101:

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Lumy-poo sure is a...interesting way to subtitle Ran's Lum-chan

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
whenever Benten isn't on screen, i am constantly asking, "where's Benten?"

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

He's just in one of his spectacular alien forms.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
psyched for Ms. Lum next week!

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
Only beauty can tame the beast, and by beast I mean Ran.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Chance would be a fine thing.

Rey looks like a real jerk (by Rumiko standards) and I'm not surprised Lum "ran" away from him at speed.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
He’s not a jerk, but he is so stupid he can only think about 1 thing at a time and only really has 2 interests food and Lum. And Food takes priority over Lum.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Rei is, by large margin, the dumbest character ever created by Rumiko, in any of her works.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Oh word. That's pretty drat dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Rei was actually introduced pretty early before Mendo was. Rumiko made Mendo cause she felt a rival character that actually has a personality would be more entertaining.