Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
She was right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Doodles posted:

She was right.
yeah, gotta give it up for a member of the Mangaka Mt. Rushmore

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Who's the other three?

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
Tezuka's one of them, don't know who the other two would be.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
The second half of this week's episode really feels like something you'd put at the end of the cour.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Doodles posted:

Tezuka's one of them, don't know who the other two would be.

Go Nagai, Akira Toriyama

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Sakurazuka posted:

Go Nagai, Akira Toriyama

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
We can trade Toriyama for Ishinomori imo

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
One has to be Araki, surely?

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

ConanThe3rd posted:

The second half of this week's episode really feels like something you'd put at the end of the cour.

That episode is one of the few I saw of the original version, and that's what they did back then. It's funny seeing it with no green baby hogging the screen.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
of course Lum's mom rules!

plus, it was touching to see an episode where Ataru learns (at least for half an episode) to appreciate the bikini babe who literally fell out of the sky and was immediately obsessed with him, despite being a completely unremarkable and clueless buffoon.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

I love the touches that they keep throwing in, visual and written. Rei's transformations are wonderfully animated, and they nailed Mendo as a comedy act that doesn't rely on overt gags so much as perpetual, idiosyncratic egotism-centered behavior.

Not gonna lie, the fun in watching this show's got me craving a Ranma 1/2 revival in the same style and "best of" format.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Mazed posted:

Not gonna lie, the fun in watching this show's got me craving a Ranma 1/2 revival in the same style and "best of" format.

Don't make my heart weep for what it could be! I hadn't even considered this possibility before.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Ranma was never finished in anime form after all and there are some decent arcs after the point where the original one stopped. So yeah, I’d be down for something like that as well

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
If Takahashi's okay with it, then it'd be perfect for David Productions next large project.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Doodles posted:

If Takahashi's okay with it, then it'd be perfect for David Productions next large project.

This is what I'm waiting for as well

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
The Mendo family appears to be a bunch of eccentric assholes.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Mazed posted:

I love the touches that they keep throwing in, visual and written. Rei's transformations are wonderfully animated, and they nailed Mendo as a comedy act that doesn't rely on overt gags so much as perpetual, idiosyncratic egotism-centered behavior.

Dave Pro was the best possible studio for this remake.

i loved the gag in ep 11 where lum is trying to jump to see over a crowd of people until she remembers she can fly

also the piano/xylophone/whatever cover of Lum no Love Song was cute

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

MonsterEnvy posted:

The Mendo family appears to be a bunch of eccentric assholes.

When your family traditional duel method is "whoever can shoot an apple off their opponent's head with a cannon wins"...

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

This ep was bonkers but in a fun way, animation felt especially creative. The Rei one from awhile back as also aces.

Ah man, tho, guess this is goodbye to the Tenless era, brief but sweet.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Yeah Everyone in the intro has been introduced now.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
this episode had Benten, so it was good.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Its somewhat terrifying to think that Mendo is the sane member of his family.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
Ryoko is the worst, and that makes her the best.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
PV for the next chunk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrXb_W3o8dk

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

I guess we couldnt hope to be Ten-less forever

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Edit: Nevermind

Larryb fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Jan 7, 2023

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

Meme Emulator posted:

I guess we couldnt hope to be Ten-less forever

Or Aoi Yuki-less, either.

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!
Ryunosuke on the way though, so it kinda balances

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
New episode with new op

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stb-BpPpJ7U

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Ugh. Just... No. Why mess with a perfect opening?

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Kvantum posted:

Ugh. Just... No. Why mess with a perfect opening?

Yeah, Ataru dreaming up Tinder was perfect.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
OP1 ruled and this does NOT

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

It really is an insane downgrade, wtf

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I actually quite like it.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

MonsterEnvy posted:

It's no Dancing Star, but it'll probably grow on me. Not as well as the first OP.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

MonsterEnvy posted:

it's well-animated, but Ataru's tinder matches all turning to lum was such a great joke, and the OP1 theme song had just the right tone of Maniac Bullshit

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So to be honest I’ve never actually read the UY manga. How much has the current series been jumping around in it and is there anything particularly important/worthwhile in the skipped chapters?

moroboshi
Dec 11, 2000

Larryb posted:

So to be honest I’ve never actually read the UY manga. How much has the current series been jumping around in it and is there anything particularly important/worthwhile in the skipped chapters?

There's not as much of an overarching story that it's really skipping over. The biggest thing I noticed was it fast-forwarded the Ataru-Lum relationship quite a bit. In the manga it takes him a while to warm up to her. I think for a bit Takahashi intended Shinobu to be the main love interest, then decided to make it Lum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

moroboshi posted:

There's not as much of an overarching story that it's really skipping over. The biggest thing I noticed was it fast-forwarded the Ataru-Lum relationship quite a bit. In the manga it takes him a while to warm up to her. I think for a bit Takahashi intended Shinobu to be the main love interest, then decided to make it Lum.
how is this your first post in this thread? brother, you’ve waited 22 years for this moment. it is your time to shine!