Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Larryb posted:

Though looking it up apparently there was a more “proper” dub of the 90’s series done by a company called AnimEigo. Not sure if any actors from that will be reprising their roles for this one though

Dub? I thought they only ever did subs. And the article linked implies that only the new series is getting a dub.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Turbinosamente posted:

Dub? I thought they only ever did subs. And the article linked implies that only the new series is getting a dub.

Looking it up you’re right, the ‘81 series only ever got a subbed release in the US

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Iirc Animeigo's UY dub was one of their first dubs and not all that good.

Edit: Animeigo tried out dubs, they did Bubblegum Crisis, Riding Bean and a few UY episodes. They did not go over well...

And than a few years later they did a Your Under Arrest dub which was quite good

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Iirc Animeigo's UY dub was one of their first dubs and not all that good.

Wait, there actually was a dub? The wiki article only mentioned a subbed release and the gag dub the BBC did

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Arc Hammer posted:

I think they only did two or three episodes as a one off joke. They are very British.

They only did the first and third episode according to the BBC Wikia, and then aired them only once.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Larryb posted:

Wait, there actually was a dub? The wiki article only mentioned a subbed release and the gag dub the BBC did

Wikipedia mentions that the first 2 episodes were released as a dub in 1995 as Those Obnoxious Aliens by Animeigo

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Wikipedia mentions that the first 2 episodes were released as a dub in 1995 as Those Obnoxious Aliens by Animeigo

Ah, so in other words this new one is going to be the first time that UY has ever gotten a complete dub

Also I believe the new dub is being handled by Sentai Filmworks

Larryb fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Feb 28, 2023

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Larryb posted:

Ah, so in other words this new one is going to be the first time that UY has ever gotten a complete dub

Also I believe the new dub is being handled by Sentai Filmworks

Looks up dubs done by Sentai.

High-school of the Dead.

You know, Steven Foster wouldn't be the worst choice to direct an Urusei Yatsura dub...

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Larryb posted:

Though looking it up apparently there was a more “proper” dub of the 90’s series done by a company called AnimEigo. Not sure if any actors from that will be reprising their roles for this one though
AnimEigo is incredibly legit and well-regarded (they did the absolutely sick SDF Macross dub where they casted Mari Iijima [English] and, uh,
some other guy for Hikaru who ended up being a problem)

e: wait gently caress that was ADV who did the dub. animeigo just did the video remastering

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

AnimEigo had some of the best subs in the 80/90's and the founder taking his Wizardy money to sub anime and eventually finish UY even though it sold badly is amazing

But than they also dubbed the Bubblegum Crisis songs for the English Dub

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

SatoshiMiwa posted:

AnimEigo had some of the best subs in the 80/90's and the founder taking his Wizardy money to sub anime and eventually finish UY even though it sold badly is amazing

But than they also dubbed the Bubblegum Crisis songs for the English Dub
i will stand by the English cover of “Say Yes!” but yeah the rest are very clunky

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Their Oh! My Goddess dub was excellent.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Tried the first ep and the dub is fine, middle of the road. Whoever is playing Ataru is better at that than whoever's playing Lum. Prolly won't be watching too much. there are too many lil things to the sub that I missed, like the matched text for the sfx, or how the jp actors say said sfx themselves.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
That text they're reading about in class about the guy who turns into a girl when covered in water....

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

When his dad wet

Lonny Donoghan
Jan 20, 2009
Pillbug
:mrgw:

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
That last episode with the Battle Royal was probably the best 20 minutes of TV I have seen in my life.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Happy to hear! And agreed on the Animeigo appreciation, still have those Macross boxes on the shelf. Their first Bubblegum Crisis release with a huge PC game style box with jewel cases was pretty unique.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Has the remake season ended yet or is it still going? Was going to binge it all on hidive when it was done.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
It's over for the moment, but the second half of the planned episodes will be coming in 2024.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Doodles posted:

It's over for the moment, but the second half of the planned episodes will be coming in 2024.

How much of the manga is left to cover at this point out of curiosity (and how much got skipped over entirely)?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Show’s back for Season 2 now FYI

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

SatoshiMiwa posted:

And than a few years later they did a Your Under Arrest dub which was quite good

Like shockingly so compared to their output. You're Under Arrest may be a cop show but it's also maybe worth being a problematic fave.

A friend tells the story of being in a packed convention hall for the Bubblegum Crisis dub premiere and how people just started drifting away when it started and it was like barely a quarter full when the lights came up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Like the previous ones the new OP is good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OhStDNna-k