Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
You're "low on ammo" because the game is spreading your ammo drops over four different ammunition types. Your actual number of rounds is fine, it's just divided up such that you're not swimming in any one type of it :eng101:

Also the medallion gimmick is so weird because this is the only time they do something like that. Later sections of the game could certainly fit some sort of treasure hunt for a free gun but it just...never comes up again. I wonder if they ever thought to put a second medallion hunt into the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

C-Euro posted:

You're "low on ammo" because the game is spreading your ammo drops over four different ammunition types. Your actual number of rounds is fine, it's just divided up such that you're not swimming in any one type of it :eng101:

Also the medallion gimmick is so weird because this is the only time they do something like that. Later sections of the game could certainly fit some sort of treasure hunt for a free gun but it just...never comes up again. I wonder if they ever thought to put a second medallion hunt into the game.

I think it's good games do not do the same gimmick over and over because that's when we get ubisoft open world games.

There's a lot of missable treasures in RE4 however so you do need to keep an eye out if you want to get lots of upgrades early.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

C-Euro posted:

I reckon it was to get players used to hunting around for treasure, there's no need to have them in later sections.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Judge Tesla posted:

I reckon it was to get players used to hunting around for treasure, there's no need to have them in later sections.

There's not a need to have the blue medallions in the first sections either, but it is a fun diversion.

Yeah, you could just have random sparkling treasure hidden in the walls and hanging from trees and that gets directly converted into money that you can spend at the shop, but I think it's more fun to have a treasure hunt with optional collectables.

Find 0, nothing happens, you miss out on a bonus, and the game continues. Find half of them and you get access to a weapon you can't otherwise get. Find them all and you can get an upgraded version of the weapon.

It adds a layer of exploration and replayability that just having money drops doesn't offer. And with the inventory system being what it is, it's another thing to balance out and consider. Oh, a different handgun - it takes different ammunition (which you can't buy directly) and it takes up room in the attaché. If I take it I might have to drop this other gun or have less room for healing items. Is it worth the potential hassle of hunting down these geegaws and juggling inventory for a +2 to damage?

If they had a different collectable for each section of the game, and maybe a mega prize for finding every collectable I think it would add something more to the game.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
It just feels like the sort of thing where you'd either do it in multiples (one per chapter or region) or not at all. Doing it just once tells me that they thought of it at the last minute or didn't think anyone would really like it.

Judge Tesla posted:

Though I do like this as an explanation. Teach people to look around more, something that you weren't really doing in prior RE games.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

That last was my vague assumption too. It's nice to get in that mindset and get a free weapon early on when you don't have so much cash, but once you really start going in on treasure hunting later you'll have a pretty solid income flow to play with for weapons.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

CzarChasm posted:

Oh, a different handgun - it takes different ammunition (which you can't buy directly) and it takes up room in the attaché.

All handguns in this game take the same ammunition.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

Hi. I forgot your name. Whatever.
My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

(Uncut Commentary | Cutscene Friendly)

Very big man, very little dog

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
In case anyone does not know the reference mentioned at 8:20, the soul in the butt is called "shirikodama." In terms of modern media, I can only recall seeing it referenced in Sekiro and Saranzanmai.

Flair fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Nov 4, 2022

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

And the reason that myth exists is that among the many disgraceful things drowning can do to you, such as killing you, it can also cause your rear end to prolapse, through the means of soul thieves taking your soul out of your butt.

Oh, yeah, the Loathsome Dung Eater in Elden Ring presumably does something similar.

SIGSEGV fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Nov 4, 2022

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Flair posted:

In case anyone does not know the reference mentioned at 8:20, the soul in the butt is called "shirikodama." In terms of modern media, I can only recall seeing it referenced in Sekiro and Saranzanmai.

Nioh too
Basically most any media that references kappa

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

For those wiggle-the-stick QTEs, you can just rotate the left stick counterclockwise and the input still registers.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
While she has a habit that can make her potentially annoying, I wouldn't call Ashley a terrible character since she's in a situation that she would realistically never be equipped for in the first place; something a lot of gamers seem to forget since you need physical and emotional training not to mention an actual license to handle a firearm.

By all accounts, Ashley is maintains her composure exceptionally well for someone in her position and will listen to you when you need her to go somewhere safe.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I love the enemies in this game once the parasites start showing up. They do a good job of gradually escalating the types and abilities, and they're a big reason why the game clicked with me compared to mostly fighting regular zombies.

Also, I'm glad you mentioned the flash grenades right away. This just came up in the general RE thread today, but it's so weird that they're the secret most useful thing in the game and they left it up to the player to figure that out on their own. I was consistently getting mad at folks in another LP of the game for constantly almost but not quite using them, and then always discarding them because they never figured out they were anything other than a last-resort junk item, so I'm glad you got that out of the way immediately.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

This wolves in this part of the game are weird because if you go the other way across the lake, where you got one the boat the first time, I think the wolves get their introduction cutscene? If you go the right way toward the waterfall they don't and just show up at the church. I think you even get one with the spine tentacles without needing to damage it first. I forget if you eventually get stopped if you go backwards but its not an insubstantial part of the game there is no reason to go for.

Also the TMP is actually the best weapon against the wolves because every bullet causes a wolf to play its stun animation so you just empty the mag and stunlock them.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Ashley is totally fine, the game does a good job of keeping her out of the way during the more action-heavy sequences and they break up the routine of carting her around by having her get cutscene-kidnapped a couple of times. Also she is voiced by the same woman who does Sandy Squirrel from Spongebob and I always hear it when the game plays a particular voice clip for her.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

Hi. I forgot your name. Whatever.
My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

(Uncut Commentary | Cutscene Friendly)

Time to drag Ashley through hell!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Looking forward to the remake having a bunch of callouts for when you're aiming at your allies from behind so that they know that they need to duck.

Vanquish is the only game I've played that had any.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
You like crows too, Thorn? We have a small murder of them out where I live. They like hanging out where grass is long and unmowed. Most cases its just a matter of feeding them to befriend them, long as they see your face when you do. Though the small town I live in a lot of wild animals are very tame and chill, cause people don't bother them.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
The exact requirements for Luis to execute the cutscene at 21:45 is 5 hits.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Red9 standing by

I've enjoyed other pistols, but the Red9 is just so good that I have to psyche myself up ahead of time to plan a run without it. Practically a mini sniper rifle by the time you get some upgrades and the stock.

e: The cabin is definitely one of the highlight setpieces of the game. Basically perfectly paced to keep the tension rising, while giving you enough ammo to get through without being a nightmare. Also, I'm glad you showed the secret Luis cutscene, I've been playing the game since the GC era and only found out about that last year. It's such a great unexpected gag.

Captain Hygiene fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Nov 12, 2022

azren
Feb 14, 2011

I don't remember exactly how far I got into this game, but I definitely remember that siege and how tense it was. Really well done segment.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Never mind the Red9 vs Blacktail debate, I don't know why anyone buys a scope for the rifles. You get a scope anyways and that's 3 valuable and non-even inventory spots

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

I could be remembering wrong, but wasn't it determined that headshots are meaningless for exposing parasites? I was pretty sure that which enemies have a parasite was determined on spawn, and they come out purely based on damage done.

Kibayasu posted:

Never mind the Red9 vs Blacktail debate, I don't know why anyone buys a scope for the rifles. You get a scope anyways and that's 3 valuable and non-even inventory spots

This, but for the stocks. Both the Red9 and the TMP perform just fine without them, and they're inventory hogs.

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

Kibayasu posted:

The scope for the bolt-action is pretty good, not so much for the semi-auto.

There is however one kind of scope we all get towards the end of the game. You know the one.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Gnoman posted:

This, but for the stocks. Both the Red9 and the TMP perform just fine without them, and they're inventory hogs.

I don't worry about the TMP, but I just realized that I've never done a Red9 run without buying the stock. It just seems wrong, it looks cool as hell, but I guess style doesn't count for much when you've gotta maximize that suitcase space. I'll give it a try next time and see how it feels.

stryth
Apr 7, 2018

Got bread?
GIVE BREADS!
I've got to say, seeing all the guns with their barrels facing to the right, just feels wrong. I always flipped them so they faced left, which also let me put the stocks out of the way, to their right.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

stryth posted:

I've got to say, seeing all the guns with their barrels facing to the right, just feels wrong. I always flipped them so they faced left, which also let me put the stocks out of the way, to their right.

The guns on the inventory screen are just static images though, right? So you're not "flipping" the gun, you're rotating it. Meaning that if you have the barrel pointing left the gun is upside down. That would bother me way more

stryth
Apr 7, 2018

Got bread?
GIVE BREADS!

CzarChasm posted:

The guns on the inventory screen are just static images though, right? So you're not "flipping" the gun, you're rotating it. Meaning that if you have the barrel pointing left the gun is upside down. That would bother me way more

No, they're full 3-d models, so if you're using a controller, you can move the right stick to either side and the gun will actually flip, but stay right side up.
Notice the pistol below, and yes it works on all inventory items I believe.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

stryth posted:

No, they're full 3-d models, so if you're using a controller, you can move the right stick to either side and the gun will actually flip, but stay right side up.
Notice the pistol below, and yes it works on all inventory items I believe.

:aaaaa:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
If you go back into the church at the start of 2-2, Sadler is gone but you can kill his two crossbow-wielding flunkies for some extra cash and to preview an upcoming enemy type :eng101:

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

Speaking of the inventory, does anyone else who is primarily familiar with the GameCube original get tripped up when playing the other ports? On GameCube, the inventory button was Y, but that's been moved to Start on the HD ports (and I think the PS2 as well, can't remember). In later versions, Y/Triangle is a quick shortcut to the map, which doesn't let you maneuver to the other parts of the menu.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

theenglishman posted:

Speaking of the inventory, does anyone else who is primarily familiar with the GameCube original get tripped up when playing the other ports? On GameCube, the inventory button was Y, but that's been moved to Start on the HD ports (and I think the PS2 as well, can't remember). In later versions, Y/Triangle is a quick shortcut to the map, which doesn't let you maneuver to the other parts of the menu.

It's not the controls that are the problem for me. What throws me off is the re-jiggered ammo drops and different prices for everything. In the original, enemies virtually never drop ammo for the TMP for instance, and only seem to start dropping rifle ammo with any frequency towards the end of the game when you've already got way too much of it. Also most things are noticeably more expensive in the GC version, and you don't get any more money than in later versions, so you have to budget differently. No upgrading the basic handgun if you want the Red 9 later; even more so the case with the shotgun.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Meaty Ore posted:

It's not the controls that are the problem for me. What throws me off is the re-jiggered ammo drops and different prices for everything. In the original, enemies virtually never drop ammo for the TMP for instance, and only seem to start dropping rifle ammo with any frequency towards the end of the game when you've already got way too much of it. Also most things are noticeably more expensive in the GC version, and you don't get any more money than in later versions, so you have to budget differently. No upgrading the basic handgun if you want the Red 9 later; even more so the case with the shotgun.

Sounds like the GameCube version is geared more towards new game+ than the rest.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

evilmiera posted:

Sounds like the GameCube version is geared more towards new game+ than the rest.

I mean, I've beaten it several dozens of times on both difficulties over the past 18 years, so maybe? NG+ is essentially Easy Mode regardless of the nominal difficulty or the port you're playing, since you can just sell off your entire inventory and begin with whatever maxed-out/highly upgraded weapon payload you wish. I'd say the GC version definitely benefits veterans of the game starting a new file. You already know what weapons are going to be available when, how much upgrades cost, etc. and can plan ahead.

Having the TMP be both cheaper and having its ammo drop from enemies make it much more viable in later ports than in the original. It has its niche and I like using it, but in the Gamecube version its high cost, low power, relative lack of ammo and the inventory space it takes up makes it harder to justify keeping around long-term, or possibly even buying it in the first place.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Oh that's fun, I forgot there were substantial tweaks to the game rereleases besides graphics changes and keeping up with new controllers. I've played it so many times over a bunch of systems that a lot of specific details from the GC days are just lost in time, I do remember struggling sometimes in my playthroughs on there but I chalked it up to getting used to the style of game.

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Meaty Ore posted:

Having the TMP be both cheaper and having its ammo drop from enemies make it much more viable in later ports than in the original. It has its niche and I like using it, but in the Gamecube version its high cost, low power, relative lack of ammo and the inventory space it takes up makes it harder to justify keeping around long-term, or possibly even buying it in the first place.

Ahh, that makes sense why I didn't like it as much.
I only played the entirety of the GC version.

I rented the wii version for a bit and the wiimote aiming and knife controls made it easier then the GC. I didnt even feel the need for the shotgun

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Captain Hygiene posted:

Oh that's fun, I forgot there were substantial tweaks to the game rereleases besides graphics changes and keeping up with new controllers. I've played it so many times over a bunch of systems that a lot of specific details from the GC days are just lost in time, I do remember struggling sometimes in my playthroughs on there but I chalked it up to getting used to the style of game.

The original PC port of RE4 is something anybody who plays PC games regularly should experience one time (and never again).

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Kibayasu posted:

The original PC port of RE4 is something anybody who plays PC games regularly should experience one time (and never again).

Can you go into more info?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

CzarChasm posted:

Can you go into more info?

Short version: the 2007 port was done by Ubisoft, based exclusively on the PS2 version with many graphical effects missing from the original release. The only upside is that it had a huge modding scene, which immediately switched over to the UHD PC port in 2014 and for the most part, haven't looked back.