Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
You got into it a little bit in the video, but I think the problem with the Island (such as it has a problem) is that they couldn't decide on the tone of this last part of the game. Are we still an action game? Are we a horror game? There's some tonal whiplash that you notice after your first playthrough, like that last room where you have suspenseful music while fighting two D&D berserkers. They kind of bring the game back closer to the rest of the RE franchise at that point instead of letting it remain as its own thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I also think it was rushed. You only get one chapter on the island, and stuff like the environment where you fight Krauser would definitely deserve a more thorough exploration, with silly ancient traps, mummified Plagas and so on.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

anilEhilated posted:

I also think it was rushed. You only get one chapter on the island, and stuff like the environment where you fight Krauser would definitely deserve a more thorough exploration, with silly ancient traps, mummified Plagas and so on.
I get a similar rushed vibe as well. Like, for instance, outside of the chaingunners, the normal enemies you first run into are basically the same as the ones from the previous areas, but now with different clothes. There's no effort to change things up on the island, so you're facing a simple recycled enemy pool with minor changes. Even the stun rod enemies are not really different from before, they can still stun you (pun not intended) much like the crossbow enemies or the axe throwers. It's just how the game presents that to the player that is different, which just boils down to a new visual representation and little else.

If anything, I am hoping the remake actually gives the island a chance to stand out on its own compared to the village and the castle. Let it be something unique and not an undercooked letdown with some small highlights like in the original.

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

C-Euro posted:

You got into it a little bit in the video, but I think the problem with the Island (such as it has a problem) is that they couldn't decide on the tone of this last part of the game. Are we still an action game? Are we a horror game? There's some tonal whiplash that you notice after your first playthrough, like that last room where you have suspenseful music while fighting two D&D berserkers. They kind of bring the game back closer to the rest of the RE franchise at that point instead of letting it remain as its own thing.

Most of the RE games go for heavy action at the end (aside from those that are mostly action to begin with) but I agree that RE4 may have played its hand a bit early in that regard.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

Hi. I forgot your name. Whatever.
My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

(Cutscene Friendly)

They have a nice smile :)

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!
"The scariest goddamn enemy in RE4 if not all of Resident evil. In my opinion."

Opinion seconded.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
In Professional Mode, the regular Regenerators also have a parasite on their backs. It's very annoying!

Also in Professional Mode, the Tactical Vest is still available for purchase but doesn't provide any damage resistance (or so I've heard). Hope you didn't buy it your first time through!

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
The very first time I encountered the Iron Maiden, I recalled freaking out.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

SolarFire2 posted:

"The scariest goddamn enemy in RE4 if not all of Resident evil. In my opinion."

Opinion seconded.

Perhaps, but I still think there's worse things out there.

Exhibit A
https://twitter.com/shyguyoftheday/status/1494047784772812806

stryth
Apr 7, 2018

Got bread?
GIVE BREADS!
I remember hearing that if you knew where on a IM's back the last parasite was, you could shoot through the IM's body, from the front, killing the thing. Can anybody confirm?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

stryth posted:

I remember hearing that if you knew where on a IM's back the last parasite was, you could shoot through the IM's body, from the front, killing the thing. Can anybody confirm?

I'm 99% sure you can, although I wasn't able to find an example after searching around for a bit.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Regenerators are even worse when they are crawling so hiding a parasite on their back is a cruel practical joke.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Yeah, they can jump up and bite you from a prone state and the animation is incredibly quick. It's not shown in this video but I thought I maybe heard it once.

Robert Deadford
Mar 1, 2008
Ultra Carp

C-Euro posted:

Yeah, they can jump up and bite you from a prone state and the animation is incredibly quick. It's not shown in this video but I thought I maybe heard it once.

Having had it happen to me, I can confirm it is a nasty surprise. But once you unlock the secret weapons, Regenerators become as trivial to defeat as any enemy in the game, although they do have a last trick up their sleeve (they explode, traumatically for anyone nearby)

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

I think part of what makes Regenerators really scary is that the game forces you to fight them in cramped close-quarters. Even when they reappear later in the game, the level design is a bit bigger, but not by that much, and further complicated by Ashley.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I love/hate both variations, they creep me out more than pretty much anything else in the franchise too. What always catches me off guard is that they're deceptively fast when they're shambling up to you. Combine that with the precision aiming feeling a bit clunky these days, and they're often getting right up in face as I'm trying to get through all their parasites.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
Some more of the Resident Evil 4 remake gameplay has been shown, and unfortunately, some of the later parts of the game seem to have gotten less cheesier and more serious.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

Fun fact: you don't have to go for the parasites to kill them. They have a set amount of health, but as per their name, it regenerates, and pretty fast. Still, deplete their health and they die anyways. I think it takes about 20 or so shots from a full-strength Striker to put on down, and the rifle even less, especially if you have the exclusive upgrade. That said, I don't recommend it unless you're swimming in ammunition.

Also I think they have a weakness to incendiary grenades as well.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I can't wait to see the 2018 graphics version of the P.R.L. 412

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Echoing the sentiment said about Regenerators. Probably my biggest complaint are the spikes on the Iron Maidens, or rather, the hit boxes on them. I don't know if it's just me blundering around like an idiot or something else, but it feels like they have a deceptive reach if you're not careful about your distance. The only mercy about the Iron Maidens is that they explode like the normal Regenerators, and don't throw in the additional dick move of turning their spikes into shrapnel projectiles as a final gently caress you to the player.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

AradoBalanga posted:

Echoing the sentiment said about Regenerators. Probably my biggest complaint are the spikes on the Iron Maidens, or rather, the hit boxes on them. I don't know if it's just me blundering around like an idiot or something else, but it feels like they have a deceptive reach if you're not careful about your distance. The only mercy about the Iron Maidens is that they explode like the normal Regenerators, and don't throw in the additional dick move of turning their spikes into shrapnel projectiles as a final gently caress you to the player.

Sounds like an improvement for the remake!

NullBlack
Oct 29, 2011

I'm as confused as you are.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

Beautiful!

BigTUnit1
Jul 10, 2012

Thank you for interpreting my ridiculous mind into an art form!

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

(Uncut Commentary | Cutscene Friendly)

Ashley gets to meet the allergy teeth man.

I love the way you draw her, by the way! :3:

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

I love how the game doesn't even bother to dwell on Ashley being forkliftdump truck certified. It's just "this is something Ashley can do because we say so", and keeps on moving.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

AradoBalanga posted:

I love how the game doesn't even bother to dwell on Ashley being forkliftdump truck certified. It's just "this is something Ashley can do because we say so", and keeps on moving.

To be fair, it's a tunnel, there's not a whole lot of ways you could mess it up.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

She tried to kill me with a forklift, ole!

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Oh man, that lava room. I always forget about it, it takes me off guard literally every time. I don't think it's as tough as the water room, just because it's a more direct combat challenge. It feels like the crossbow guys are what push it into aggravation territory the most, it's easier to run around making quick stands against enemies when you're randomly flinching from an arrow every so often.

RareAcumen posted:

To be fair, it's a tunnel, there's not a whole lot of ways you could mess it up.

My thinking was that I wouldn't expect a president's kid to know how to drive a car, much less an old heavy work machine. But I don't care, the whole scene is so stupidly weird, I love it no matter what.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Saddler wouldn't have been able to stop them if Ashley still had the truck. They had to take it away because they knew it was too powerful.

"We've got this great action sequence in mind."
"But how are we going to ensure they can be threatened later?"
"... :rip: that truck"

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Neither of them mentioned it, since it wasn't a headshot, but I saw that triple shot from the truck.

https://i.imgur.com/V34jrkT.mp4

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
A reasonable answer to why Saddler spared Leon is because Saddler wants Leon to bloom into his minion; Saddler has spared Leon a few times already.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Flair posted:

A reasonable answer to why Saddler spared Leon is because Saddler wants Leon to bloom into his minion; Saddler has spared Leon a few times already.

Yeah, from Saddler's perspective he only has to wait a little bit longer and he'll have a new extremely dangerous minion.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
IMO 5-2 is the hardest chapter in the game. The next couple are probably supposed to feel more difficult with their setups, but 5-2 understands what's actually difficult in this game: having a lot of mooks come at you from multiple directions, with limited spacing and/or a need to defend Ashley while fighting them off.

E: I always rush the controls in the wrecking ball room and exit as soon as I'm able, you risk using way too many resource if you try to completely run out the enemy spawns and it's not like they can chase you across zone transitions anyway.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Feb 15, 2023

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

(Uncut Commentary | Cutscene Friendly)

Oh yeah, I remember him. Good times.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
Krauser is actually incredibly weak to the knife, as in it's stronger than the magnum against him.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
Of interest to the thread (presumably) - Game Informer interview with the director and lead dev on the remake
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHWRPlDMLoc

Some stupid/joke questions, but some interesting info on the remake that I don't think we saw before. Sounds like Quick Time events are not gone completely , but lessened.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Your accuracy is fine, you just have a horrible horrible habit of reloading guns when ammo upgrades are available from the Merchant :argh: Having back to back boss fights like this is pretty mean though.

You can't kill Krauser in that fight until you get to the final part of that encounter on the tower. He's scripted to vanish once you've dealt enough damage (that's when he throws a flash grenade) and then he re-appears in certain spots as you work your way through the arena.

I also like how Krauser gets progressively more and more nude throughout this chapter- first he loses his shirt, then he loses his hat, then he loses his...suspenders?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Man I love Krauser. Dude just created himself a backstory out of nowhere to insert himself into the game, and was so confident about it that I totally believed it until I learned more about series lore. I like what they're trying to do with the fights, but between QTEs and the game's controls I just don't enjoy it in practice. These sequences are ones I hope get a lot of retuning in the remake.

I also love Saddler here, him just being generally chatty and rolling with Leon's one-liners is really fun. This episode shows a lot of the silly melodrama that I think is a big part of the game's charm, stuff I'll really miss if the remake goes for a more serious tone overall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
I forgot how Krauser sounds like, so when he first talks while he is offscreen, I thought you two were doing a bit.

In terms of running out of ammo, I would say that RE4 has several moments where you can knife instead of shoot; Krauser is definitely one of those moments since if you can stun him near a corner, you can just knife him to death. There is a speedrun strat where you can position where he does his backflip near the wooden ledge (since Krauser always back flips after an attack), and with the ditman glitch, you can just knife so fast for the win whereas the normal knife speed makes so that you may have to do a QTE if you do not spam the knife attacks fast enough.