Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

pentyne posted:

better things aren't possible, got it

that's not at all what he said, he said you should probably avoid trolling plinkey into shutting down his fund before yours is up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

some plague rats posted:

Wrong. I'm a cspam poster you dumbass freak

yeah but you also IK the drama thread and pretending drama is not an element in play here would be silly

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Something a proper tax accountant would need to speak to is not just in regards to the entity's taxes but, I know for corporate payrolls, funds being sent out to a different state from the one where the entity is incorporated have various different requirements based on the state the funds are being transferred to.

I have absolutely no idea whether disbursements by a charity would have similar tracking requirements, or whether the recipient would then be on the hook for declaring the amount they receive as a source of income.

I hope it is as simple as being able to just pull money from an account and push it to a person but is anyone certain there aren't stricter records requirements?

there's also an entire industry built on helping companies deal with this complexity so that they can, for example, hire someone in a different state and only pay a flat fee of a couple of hundred a month to an employer of record company that will handle all the reporting, taxes, and compliance with local employment laws

i don't know if something analogous exists for the nonprofit sphere, but if i had to start a nonprofit that was going to pay people cash nationwide, that's where i would look first, with the intent to outsource everything i can

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

yeah, there have been people posting here with actual experience with various nonprofits

how much of that experience transfers to running a nationwide cash-disbursing charity i don't know

but the first step would be to get a few of those goons and see if any of them are willing to put their names on the papers to get this goon project incorporated

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

speng31b posted:

i think also it would be good to get a list of questions to be answered by a tax lawyer, to get a sense of what the best options and dos/donts are.

that's gonna take some cash. if someone wants to start a Google doc of questions I'd be happy to chip in for initial lawyer consultation once people know what they want to ask

well my first question would be "can our nonprofit disburse cash to someone in another state when all that is known about them is a username and an email address" because if there's some KYC/antiterrorism law reason that you'd need to verify their real identity then things get complicated

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

fun hater posted:

?????????? what on earth.

no, it's a genuine question: is it legal for the charity to disburse all this cash to people it doesn't know the identities of? maybe it is, maybe it even obviously is, but i don't know personally

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

Skyl3lazer posted:

No but what if they're terrorists? This is a very real and legitimate concern and no motion should happen on this fund unless it is solved to my personal satisfaction.

e; if you do not follow my demands, there will be a QCS thread I can promise you that

i'm not saying goons are terrorists, i'm saying there may be regulations based on antiterrorism laws that require you to know who you're sending money to

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

Coupons & Deals seems like the natural place for this

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

i would consider carefully whether you want to give legally binding decision-making power to a community made up of "people on the internet"

community votes are fine for determining what people want but you want the board to be able to make the decisions they need to without 4chan's input when they need to

the mechanism to keep the board in line with what the real community wants is already there in that people will stop donating if they don't

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

rip vortmax, who posted for scratch-offs, but the scratches were like, not even offs

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

he's scratching at the angels in heaven now, for the apple pay compatibility

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

this mutual aid fund is gonna KICK rear end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

can't believe you guys din't vote lumpentroll into any positions of power and responsibility