Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Escape From Noise

Hello, BYOB. As you may have seen I've been hiking a bit recently. It helps clear my head a bit and maybe stay a little fit. It also makes my legs hurt a lot. The pain of accomplishment!

I thought that maybe others might be interested as well. So this is a thread to discuss tips and advice for hiking. A place for questions and all that. Or to just share your latest hikes and maybe pictures. This is a thread for novices and experienced hikers, or for those who may be interested in hiking. Or for anyone who wants to look at pictures of hikes. No minimum requiremen for hiking length or whatever. It's all about getting out there and enjoying the great outdoors!

Let's get going! Straight to the top! Or as close as we can get before we can turn around and make it back to the trail head before it gets dark!

Escape From Noise fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Oct 19, 2022

Thank you Pot Smoke Pheonnix for this Kickin' Rad sig

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escape From Noise

Over the weekend I took a trip to Nagano Prefecture and hiked Mount Tsubakuro from the trail head at Nakabusa hot springs. Most people hike to the summit and stay at the lodge there, but I had limited time and wanted to hit the hot springs so I opted to hike to the first lodge and turn around there to spend a night at the hot springs lodge. The leaves were just turning and weather was very warm! I was expecting much colder weather so I packed a bunch of outerwear and a rain jacket that I never ended up using!

I was able to make it to the first lodge in about 3 hours. On my way up I ended up sort of joining a group that seemed to be made up of a few groups that sort of joined together midway up. One of the guys really wanted me to join them past the first lodge after we took an hour long break (as was recommended). I was a bit resistant at first, as I was worried about time. The hot springs lodge I was staying at served dinner at 6 and if I missed that meal it'd be trail mix and protein bars for dinner as there weren't any other options available on the mountain! I'm glad I let him convince me to go up s bit further. We got within two hours of the summit and lodge before I turned around.

I ended up making it back down the mountain in about two and a half hours (even if my legs were starting to hurt a lot about halfway down and people were passing me from behind I was going so slow), so plenty of time ahead of dinner starting. Was able to get in a bit of a soak too.

And that was my hike! Thank u.

sb hermit

Fall hiking is pretty chill. If I'm going to be doing any high altitude hikes, I should probably do it before winter sets in and the mountains ice over.

I'll try to do one of my usual local hikes sometime soon. But things around here either tend to be kinda green, or very brown, or on fire. Scrub brush tends to have a uniform color so it's not as fun to look at as deciduous trees.

You can get better views with higher vistas but it would probably be an hour and a half drive. Still might be worth making a trip, though. Too bad that gas is approaching $7/gal.

Escape From Noise

Yeah. I think I have some time before things get too cold here. Nagano will be getting too cold for me soon. I don't mind some snow, but at some point it's too much and I'm not that intense about it. I may go back in the spring. That was also a pretty big trip that set me back several hundred bucks on travel and accommodations, but I needed to get out of town for a bit.

sb hermit

Escape From Noise posted:

Yeah. I think I have some time before things get too cold here. Nagano will be getting too cold for me soon. I don't mind some snow, but at some point it's too much and I'm not that intense about it. I may go back in the spring. That was also a pretty big trip that set me back several hundred bucks on travel and accommodations, but I needed to get out of town for a bit.

You made me realize something. I rarely spend that kind of money on myself. I really should just go on a nice, long, camping trip. Wanna get away to lone pine but it's a 500 mile round trip, easily 20 gallons or $130, before food and other expenses. Would be worth it, though.

Too bad they don't have any train service that goes up there.

Heather Papps

hello friend

i do not do very many "hikes" but i spend a lot of time walking in the forest, i guess. i am bad at taking pictures, but here is one my father took recently.

thanks Dumb Sex-Parrot and deep dish peat moss for this winter bounty!

Ohtori Akio
I love going on easy Seattle-area hikes. I'll see if I can't get some pics in before the season is done.

Escape From Noise

Heather Papps posted:

i do not do very many "hikes" but i spend a lot of time walking in the forest, i guess. i am bad at taking pictures, but here is one my father took recently.

I mean it doesn't have to be some major hike.

Escape From Noise

sb hermit posted:

You made me realize something. I rarely spend that kind of money on myself. I really should just go on a nice, long, camping trip. Wanna get away to lone pine but it's a 500 mile round trip, easily 20 gallons or $130, before food and other expenses. Would be worth it, though.

Too bad they don't have any train service that goes up there.

It is a huge convenience when available. That last hike there was a bus to the trail head, but only every hour and 45 minutes. Still not bad but yeah.

Heather Papps

hello friend

Escape From Noise posted:

I mean it doesn't have to be some major hike.

it has caused me to think "i really should pack a bag and get my walking stick and do a trail or climb a hill or something"

canada has a lot of walking/skiing trails.

thanks Dumb Sex-Parrot and deep dish peat moss for this winter bounty!

Escape From Noise

Heather Papps posted:

it has caused me to think "i really should pack a bag and get my walking stick and do a trail or climb a hill or something"

canada has a lot of walking/skiing trails.

Nice! Osaka doesn't have a ton I don't think but Kyoto is next door and has a bunch of old pilgrimage routes and stuff that have become hiking trails. Shiga is also close and has a lot of good hiking.

Areola Grande

it's a free country u pervs
I was raised in a hiking family, OP. ur pics of Japan inspire me 2 buy some hiking boots and contribute 2 this thread :hai:

spring sigs by nesamdoom and Ravenous Scoot

Escape From Noise

Areola Grande posted:

I was raised in a hiking family, OP. ur pics of Japan inspire me 2 buy some hiking boots and contribute 2 this thread :hai:

I did too, but stopped in my adulthood mostly. Got back into it with a friend who moved from Kyoto to Fukuoka, so I kind of fell off for a while. Plus I'm not intense enough for midwinter hikes.

I look forward to your pictures!

Escape From Noise

I want to mention that until recently I wasn't a very avid hiker. Even now, I usually only go out on a hike once or twice a month. I guess it started because of COVID. I asked a friend if they'd be interested in hitting a pretty easy hike that goes from a shrine to a temple on the outskirts of Kyoto and it sort of built from there.

If you are interested in hiking, I'd say give it a shot! Here's my advice: All you need are some strong, comfortable, close toed shoes, preferably with decent grip. You can always buy nice hiking boots later! For clothing go with wool or materials that don't soak up water very easily and can wick moisture if possible. Also dress in layers if it's chilly. You'd be surprised how warm you can get just walking around for a while! I like to bring a light jacket, even if it's warm, unless it's super hot, just to be safe! After that just be sure to bring water at least. Some trail mix and/or protein bars can also be nice.

After that look for a trail that you think you can handle. There's no shame in starting easy and short. Building up to bigger hikes helps you ease into it and gauge your limits. Nowadays, there's lots of info online, but maybe you have friends or family members you can ask about good hiking spots in your area. If you have an outdoors store in your area they probably have maps available and would be willing to help out! Be sure to take breaks when you need them and drink that water. Maybe eat a snack as long as there aren't any monkeys around (this may only be applicable to a few people ITT). I like to end my hikes with a nice soak in a hot spring or public bath. It helps me feel like I've earned a little reward, and it feels great on my sore legs! So maybe find a nice little way to reward yourself for getting out there into the untamed wilditude of nature!

If you're hiking alone, tell someone where you are going and how long you plan to be out! Also don't forget to inform them when you return! You can also look for more popular trails with straightforward routes to lessen your chances of getting lost.

If you decide you want to invest in some equipment, you can get some decent stuff for not too much. My go-to here in Monte Bel for cheaper outerwear, but there's also another store. My dad and brother get a lot of stuff at REI if you have one in your area. Even if you only shop there every so often, the membership is worth it IME. REI sells a ton of stuff for cheap if it's been opened (they inspect it before reshelving) and have a lot of sales. Their store brand equipment and clothing is generally good quality and reasonable in price. But again, of you're starting out and aren't sure you want to invest much I'd say get some exercise clothing and a light jacket and go for it!

Escape From Noise fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Oct 19, 2022

Ohtori Akio
Wool is ftw. Got a whole merino base layer set from varusteleka (ships from Finland) and I'm ready for whatever chilly weather can come my way. Undergarments as well!

What you put on top is less of a big deal as long as you avoid cotton if moisture is even slightly a threat. I like my big silly wool poncho! It hardly ever does more than drizzle here and I only day hike so it's perfect.

If you don't mind the aesthetic and having to shop around or be careful with fit, surplus stuff is great. You can also get some of that stuff from varusteleka.

Escape From Noise

Yeah. My first hike was in the summer I think and I wore like exercise shorts from Uniqlo, an old exercise shirt, and some lovely old Timberland boots. If it's hot, I still wear those shorts and I usually use that exercise t-shirt as an undershirt

Ohtori Akio
That'll do the trick great for summer, as long as whoever reads this remembers their water.

Escape From Noise

Ohtori Akio posted:

That'll do the trick great for summer, as long as whoever reads this remembers their water.

Yeah. Grab a jug at the grocery store and throw it in your old pokemon backpack or whatever!

I do have a hydrator (camelback) and I do really like it. On longer hikes it's really nice to be able to get a drink of water without having to get a bottle out, and be able to drink hands free. Especially during steeper climbs were stopping isn't a great idea.

Escape From Noise

Today I went on a pretty easy-going hike around Fushimi Inari shrine in Kyoto with a friend who's taking up a part time job thing as a hiking tour guide. We got a little lost which is easy to do there. Lots of different trails going off in a bunch of directions. Fushimi Inari Jinja is the fox shrine. It's neat!

sb hermit

I love the little touches that bring something ephemeral and grounding to something as timeless as a statue. Like the neckerchief on the fox.

Escape From Noise

It's part of the old religious practices. The color red is supposed to protect from/expel evil.

If they're on Jizo statues (a bald headed man statue, usually small), they're usually affixed to the statues by grieving parents to protect their child who's passed away in the afterlife. In the mythology, children are punished in the afterlife for failing to take care of their parents in their old age. Jizo protects these children from punishment.

Escape From Noise

I took a little hike near Kobe today.

Had a little rest in a hammock.

Saw some cats.

Ohtori Akio
That waterfall goes crazy. And what a city view!

Viginti Septem

Oculus Noctuae
Great photos! Nicely done

Viginti Septem

Oculus Noctuae

Ohtori Akio posted:

That waterfall goes crazy.
:wink:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escape From Noise

I took a hike on Thursday to Mt. Myoken on the Osaka and Hyogo border up to Myoken shrine. It was chilly but not too cold and was a pretty short hike.

Watch out for Toyo-kun! Not sure who that is. My friend's mom (who's Japanese) didn't know either. Guess he's a bear?

The path went through a pet cemetery.

Tortoise and the hare are now friends.

Trapped between two prefectures!

The symbol for the shrine was very similar to the Knights Hospitaller cross. Also the shrine was dedicated to horses in some way.

Also the horse statues were anotomically correct.

The shrine also had this wild building that was built in the shape of that cross symbol.

Crossing borders again!

It is the year of the rabbit.

Those poor snow people!

DON'T TOSS UR TRASH!

There were a ton of abandoned and collapsing buildings along the way. One had vines growing inside the house. We passed this place that had probably been demolished. The bathhouse sort of remained. The tub was still holding strong!

Thank you Pot Smoke Pheonnix for this Kickin' Rad sig