Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Every forum has their own China thread, we should have ours! Post your favourite China, dinnerware, teapots, spoons, things you eat off or things that look like you eat off

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXPnKOE5PDw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
crossposting from interminable politics chat:

so, every development in the entire history of pottery came from Asia, with one exception:

in about the 14th c. some Germans realized that you could wing a bunch of salt into a hot kiln and it would vaporize and turn into an attractive watertight glaze (and a cloud of chlorine, so don't try this at home).

they later used this process on Bartmann ("beardman) or Bellarmine jugs, which were decorated with sort of a Green Man figure. these jugs ended up all over the goddamn world. some ended up being used for magic... one was recently disinterred at the edge of a property in England, still filled with some nail clippings, copper and iron nails, and piss.

salt glazing is still used today. piss magic is less frequent. I hope.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

My favorite piece of China tbh

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i guess this is more generic ceramic crockery but i figure it still fits the thread

fiestaware is a) quite a goony name and b) pre-ww2 dining ware with a lovely red glaze. they get that red using uranium oxide

you're, uh, not really supposed to eat off these anymore

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

MarcusSA posted:

elegant.

excellent loving color.

unrelated: all ceramic material is slightly more radioactive than background just because some radioactive elements always wash into the soup that becomes clay. but like... only barely and not uh like that stuff.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
my mom's a big fan of Bolesławiec pottery, despite having no other interest in cooking, cookware, or dining ware

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣

tortoise > pheasant and hare

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

calamityware is pretty cool

https://calamityware.com/

Some personal favorites:

Perfect for SomethingAwful - the troll bowl

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

i guess this is more generic ceramic crockery but i figure it still fits the thread

fiestaware is a) quite a goony name and b) pre-ww2 dining ware with a lovely red glaze. they get that red using uranium oxide

you're, uh, not really supposed to eat off these anymore

MarcusSA posted:

They should combine these two for the real daredevils out there

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Empty Sandwich posted:

crossposting from interminable politics chat:

so, every development in the entire history of pottery came from Asia, with one exception:

in about the 14th c. some Germans realized that you could wing a bunch of salt into a hot kiln and it would vaporize and turn into an attractive watertight glaze (and a cloud of chlorine, so don't try this at home).

they later used this process on Bartmann ("beardman) or Bellarmine jugs, which were decorated with sort of a Green Man figure. these jugs ended up all over the goddamn world. some ended up being used for magic... one was recently disinterred at the edge of a property in England, still filled with some nail clippings, copper and iron nails, and piss.

salt glazing is still used today. piss magic is less frequent. I hope.

do the Bartmann :haw:

Jabberlock
Nov 29, 2014

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

What do those buttons do?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

One trapdoor full of sharks, one launches the nukes, one orders more tea.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

That's a Nice plate

For a clown to eat off of

At the circus

Idiot

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

e: This was for sale at the flea market as a "Moomin mug":

3D Megadoodoo has a new favorite as of 13:10 on Oct 21, 2022

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

Drops: human teeth
Family member has a lot of Glen Baxter cartoons on plates. A lot of them sell pretty regularly on eBay, so apologies for the photo quality:

Jabberlock
Nov 29, 2014

OwlFancier posted:

One trapdoor full of sharks, one launches the nukes, one orders more tea.

unlabeled for convenience

Blackula Vs. Tarantula
Jul 6, 2005

😤I am NOT Captain_Redbeard🧔

Meret Oppenheim was a surrealist painter and sculptor, whose excellent body of work is often overlooked in favor of her male contemporaries. She seemed to resent the way her most famous piece, simply titled Object (1936,) came to overshadow the rest of her career.

But I can't help but like it! First of all, in English, it's known by the title Fur Breakfast, which is very funny. Secondly, I love imagining what it would be like to use this object. It would keep your tea so warm! Also the idea of drinking from a fur lined cup reminds me of oral sex, which I also enjoy.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I am reminded of the UK political cartoonist who keeps drawing fur cups, as a homophone for "fuckup"

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫

Oh I have a red Little My mug that's like these. This one.

Blackula Vs. Tarantula
Jul 6, 2005

😤I am NOT Captain_Redbeard🧔

OwlFancier posted:

I am reminded of the UK political cartoonist who keeps drawing fur cups, as a homophone for "fuckup"

See now I like it even more

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

You can't even get out of wearing the loving nametag if you're a dictator these days.

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

What's even going on with those cups, they look like there's like two sections to them? And what kind of looks like a gaiwan lid on top?

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

That's a decorative line my dude.
Also my favourite china is early warlords period, some exciting stuff went down there.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDrfE9I8_hs

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

By popular demand posted:

That's a decorative line my dude.
Also my favourite china is early warlords period, some exciting stuff went down there.

ok is the lid there just to keep the tea warm then?

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Yep some tea mugs come equipped with a lid.
You can also purchase a generic silicon lid if you're the sort who takes a sip and then let the cup rest for a while.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
7 years ago, gently caress.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Croccers posted:

7 years ago, gently caress.

I know, it feels like only yesterday

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pEfCe1-KTw

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Not my picture, but I got this mug at the thrift store and it's one of my favorite finds.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

Not my picture, but I got this mug at the thrift store and it's one of my favorite finds.

Wait who’s picture is it then?

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

RIP to a legend

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

MarcusSA posted:

Wait who’s picture is it then?

some redditor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Why are you letting some Redditor into your house to take pictures of your mug?

Seems dangerous.