Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer
There are a lot of competing conventions in the world. Some of them have clear and obvious winners.

For example:

Year/Month/Day is the correct way to write dates. If you include hour, minute, second, millisecond, etc. - it's always decreasing in size - and this is just generally true of numbers anyway.
While we're on the topic of time: the 24-hour clock is just better. It's shorter than tacking on AM/PM, and avoids the temptation to just leave off AM/PM and hope everyone else assumes the correct time. It's weird to have two 3 o'clocks in a day. They aren't related in any way, just give them their own numbers.

Brackets should go on new lines. You don't need to save space. It's clearer where a block of code starts. And it just looks more symmetric and therefore nicer.
Also, the & and * are part of the variable type and belong next to that, not the variable name, which it has nothing to do with.

Oxford comma.

I have more solutions to all the world's problems, but I'll just start with these. Tell me other conventions you've found the singular correct solution to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Shadow0 posted:

There are a lot of competing conventions in the world. Some of them have clear and obvious winners.

For example:

Year/Month/Day is the correct way to write dates. If you include hour, minute, second, millisecond, etc. - it's always decreasing in size - and this is just generally true of numbers anyway.
While we're on the topic of time: the 24-hour clock is just better. It's shorter than tacking on AM/PM, and avoids the temptation to just leave off AM/PM and hope everyone else assumes the correct time. It's weird to have two 3 o'clocks in a day. They aren't related in any way, just give them their own numbers.

Brackets should go on new lines. You don't need to save space. It's clearer where a block of code starts. And it just looks more symmetric and therefore nicer.
Also, the & and * are part of the variable type and belong next to that, not the variable name, which it has nothing to do with.

Oxford comma.

I have more solutions to all the world's problems, but I'll just start with these. Tell me other conventions you've found the singular correct solution to.

2 spaces after a full stop, which is the objectively correct way to post as it makes sentences much more readable.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

X button on Playstation is for Confirm/Select. Circle button is for Back.

Japan is wrong on this one.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
Toilet roll facing the front, unless you have a pet who is liable to paw at it, then you are given permission to put it the wrong way.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

sebmojo posted:

2 spaces after a full stop, which is the objectively correct way to post as it makes sentences much more readable.

I used to do this, but one space makes it flow a lot better!

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Seth Pecksniff posted:

I used to do this, but one space makes it flow a lot better!

there is no shame in being wrong, modfriend. unfortunately the forum software seems to have a bug where it deletes the additional space! i will have to talk to astral to get it fixed.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

wa27 posted:

X button on Playstation is for Confirm/Select. Circle button is for Back.

Japan is wrong on this one.

This is correct and the most pressing one to address

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

sebmojo posted:

there is no shame in being wrong, modfriend. unfortunately the forum software seems to have a bug where it deletes the additional space! i will have to talk to astral to get it fixed.

The HTML specification requires consecutive spaces to be displayed as a single space. Quote this post and you'll see that there are two spaces between the sentences even though only one is shown.

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013

I REFUSE TO BAN GENOCIDE DENIAL IN MY SUBFORUM BECAUSE I BELIEVE PEOPLE SHOULD DEBATE THE GENOCIDE DENIERS INSTEAD

I ALSO REPORTED MY TITLE FOR SAYING I IGNORE PMS, VIOLATING D&D RULE II.2.B AS I DIDN'T CITE A SOURCE, THEN DID NOT PAY MONEY TO REWRITE IT BECAUSE I AM UNDER PROTECTION OF THE ADMINS AND I DO NOT IGNORE PMS

THANK YOU FOR YOUR CONTINUED SUPPORT OF THE FORUMS BY PURCHASING AVATARS FOR ME

ultrafilter posted:

The HTML specification requires consecutive spaces to be displayed as a single space. Quote this post and you'll see that there are two spaces between the sentences even though only one is shown.

:staredog:

Effective-Disorder
Nov 13, 2013

sebmojo posted:

Doesn't CSS and such obviate the need for this typewriter-era convention? I've seen this all over the place editing papers and it used to drive me nuts to have to check to see that I haven't accidentally missed a space somewhere. Like just have an extra nbsp thrown in after, or adjust the kerning or what have you. There are reasons that content and formatting are separate these days, and most of them are really good ones.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Putting in two spaces is a lot easier than anything you can do with CSS.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

ultrafilter posted:

:bighow:

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
I used to do brackets on new lines but my job requires brackets at the end of the current line and now I'm used to it and can't go back.

Effective-Disorder
Nov 13, 2013

ultrafilter posted:

Putting in two spaces is a lot easier than anything you can do with CSS.

You can't do regex or such stuff with CSS I guess. I haven't messed with that for a while so I have no idea what it's like now. Do you want to extrapolate?

My whole position is that it's easier to just do one space at the origin because often times you can't tell if you've missed two spaces as easily as you can miss one. Maybe my eyes are bad?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Shadow0 posted:

For example:

i kinda like dd/mm/yyyy just because of the band: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfnEAIbW070

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Modern variable-spaced fonts allow a period glyph to take up less horizontal space. This takes away the need to add an extra space. Typing two spaces is a relic of monospaced typewriters. In particular, monospaced fonts used the same width for a period, so the period didn't sort of glue itself to the last letter, it floated in a gap after it, which made the following space appear shorter. This was addressed with two spaces, although that creates "rivers of white" on the page.

It's also possible to detect that a period, space, capital letter has occurred on the page and make the spacing slightly wider. I believe some rendering engines do that.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Oct 20, 2022

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

ultrafilter posted:

The single-spacers have infiltrated every corner of society. Their will is now law.

sebmojo posted:

Only after periods? What about question marks and exclamation marks and commas and semi-colons?
Also, all this time you thought it was more readable; but now you realize they were secretly swapping in single spaces, and you didn't even notice. I feel like that's a strong argument against what your claim of increased readability.

Sometimes I see people put spaces before punctuation marks, which is very wrong and bad. When I pressed one of such people to answer for their crimes, they also claimed it was for "readability".

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

Shadow0 posted:

Oxford comma.

Evil poo poo

sebmojo posted:

What in the hell is wrong with people on these forums?!

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!
this is why I like latex. I can throw seven or eight spaces after a period and it'll auto correct that poo poo for me as part of the typesetting process. that way I can type like a real player who doesn't give a gently caress!

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

DeeplyConcerned posted:

this is why I like latex. I can throw seven or eight spaces after a period and it'll auto correct that poo poo for me as part of the typesetting process. that way I can type like a real player who doesn't give a gently caress!
latex is a 40 year old pile of burning poo poo, but the alternatives are worse.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

ultrafilter posted:

What happens if you throw in   ?   Will that render out as extra space?

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

So you can still double space after a period.   You just need to know the code.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009
As an IT person, I would like to formally propose that we drop the convention of women changing their names after marriage. Because I am lazy.

Also, I think we should write dates like “24/JAN/2022” so there can be no possible confusion.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Everybody should drive on the left hand side of the road, because I drive on the left hand side of the road, and have scientifically determined that the concept of driving on the right hand side of the road is deeply metaphysically wrong. Also buildings should not be allowed to be taller than three storeys because again, deep metaphysical wrongness ensues if humans are more than that far off the ground. Also mezzanine floors are the work of the devil.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Sucrose posted:

As an IT person, I would like to formally propose that we drop the convention of women changing their names after marriage. Because I am lazy.

Also, I think we should write dates like “24/JAN/2022” so there can be no possible confusion.

I would like to request 2022 / 01 JAN / 24 for sorting purposes

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

gently caress the Gregorian calendar, Julian date is where it's at. Only need to remember one number.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

sebmojo posted:

:goofy:

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
oxford comma is good. so it the cereal comma.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Kelvin is the superior temperature scale. It just makes more sense for day to day use.

0K - really loving cold
100K - also really loving cold
200K - you guessed it, still loving cold
300K - oops it's hot now

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Fister Roboto posted:

Kelvin is the superior temperature scale. It just makes more sense for day to day use.

0K - really loving cold
100K - also really loving cold
200K - you guessed it, still loving cold
300K - oops it's hot now

Boltzman's "constant" is a completely arbitrary insertion of a a new unit into a system that doesn't need it. Measure temperature in energy units.

(Shameful edit)

Brutal Garcon fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Oct 21, 2022

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Brutal Garcon posted:

Blotzman's "constant"

Spelling names should be done away with. Just so long as you get 35% of the letters correct, order doesn't even matter, people can probably guess right anyway. We already do it with transliterated names!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

if you pre-registered for a convention you should not have to stand in line to get in, at all. They send you your badge, you walk straight in, and there needs to be enough doors open with enough people looking at badges that there's no slowdown even on day one when the doors open.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Leperflesh posted:

if you pre-registered for a convention you should not have to stand in line to get in, at all. They send you your badge, you walk straight in, and there needs to be enough doors open with enough people looking at badges that there's no slowdown even on day one when the doors open.

this works at Costco, so I approve.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

More things in life should be like Costco.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

In my city you always thank the bus driver when you get off* for some reason, I think that is a nice thing to do and should be universal

*Disembark

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Do bus drivers actually like that though? I feel like if I was a bus driver I'd get tired of feeling obligated to say you're welcome at every stop a bunch of times.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Sucrose posted:

No, we don't need to take something universal and make it language-dependent.

Bel Shazar posted:

I would like to request 2022 / 01 JAN / 24 for sorting purposes
NO

Shadow0 posted:

Year/Month/Day is the correct way to write dates.
Yes. Though yyyy-mm-dd is even better because slashes can't generally be used in file names.

Chill Monster
Apr 23, 2014

Cicero posted:

Do bus drivers actually like that though? I feel like if I was a bus driver I'd get tired of feeling obligated to say you're welcome at every stop a bunch of times.

It's better to be irritated by being thanked than to feel like nobody appreciates what you do.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
While I assume that it's just culturally differences, some if these suggestions seem like madness t9 me. Let's try something easier.

People should use toilet brushes after using a public toilet. Is that a categorical imperative we may all agree on? Does anybody disagree?

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Oct 21, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Biscats n Gravy
Jun 13, 2018

Smile.

DeeplyConcerned posted:

i like latex because it feels- wait i'm thinking of a completely different thing that is also called that.