Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Cicero posted:

Do bus drivers actually like that though? I feel like if I was a bus driver I'd get tired of feeling obligated to say you're welcome at every stop a bunch of times.
No such obligation exists, except for small children.

cant cook creole bream posted:

People should use toilet brushes after using a public toilet. Is that a categorical imperative we may all agree on?
Assuming the toilet brush handle hasn't been stuck up someone's rear end, yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Cicero posted:

Do bus drivers actually like that though? I feel like if I was a bus driver I'd get tired of feeling obligated to say you're welcome at every stop a bunch of times.

They just nod grimly

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Cicero posted:

sebmojo posted:

They just nod grimly

I always thank the bus drivers when I use public bus transit for going to work every day, and when I do I do a small wave at the drivers too. Most of the time the drivers learn to recognize me and wave back, and a lot of them say "You're welcome" or "Have a nice day" in response. There are a couple that don't respond (which is fine), but most of them respond positively. Not any solid proof they really like it, but I think some of them do.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Using the metric system.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

ultrafilter posted:

The HTML specification requires consecutive spaces to be displayed as a single space. Quote this post and you'll see that there are two spaces between the sentences even though only one is shown.

What the hell is this witchcraft! :staredog:

Hermsgervørden
Apr 23, 2004
Møøse Trainer

Cicero posted:

I drive the bus. We really do like to be thanked. It’s also fairly uncommon, at least in the US, for passengers to thank us. I would estimate less than 1 in 50. And we don’t feel pressured to say “you’re welcome” as people who do say thank you generally leave immediately rather than wait for a reply. Which is good, because we don’t want you lingering by the doors clogging the space boarding passengers need.

Also in the US, our job is actually called Transit Operator and if you want really make us feel good, you can say “Thank you, Operator.” Usually the only people who get this right are in the transit business or related to an operator. But we are not gonna be picky about it.

I talked a little about this with Roman Mars when I was on 99% Invisible.

Also, thank you for riding the bus!

Edit:

sebmojo posted:

In my city you always thank the bus driver when you get off* for some reason, I think that is a nice thing to do and should be universal

*Disembark

*** Alight

Hermsgervørden fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Oct 21, 2022

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

Rappaport posted:

Spelling names should be done away with. Just so long as you get 35% of the letters correct, order doesn't even matter, people can probably guess right anyway. We already do it with transliterated names!

I was doing genealogy, and someone online mentioned that yeah, in the 18th century or earlier you sometimes find the name of the exact same person spelled multiple different ways, and this is incredibly aggravating to us (which spelling is the correct one???) but in the mindset of a 17th century person this was no big deal, because to them the spoken version of their name was the real version of their name, and written versions are just transliterations of it, kind of like “whatever, the reader can figure out which person is meant.” In a 17th century mindset, Jeremy Smith is obviously the same person as Jeromy Smyth, only an idiot would be confused.

Anyway that kind of blew my mind, because our writing-centric world is so different from the way that our ancestors used to think.

Sucrose fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Oct 21, 2022

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

Hermsgervørden posted:

I drive the bus. We really do like to be thanked. It’s also fairly uncommon, at least in the US, for passengers to thank us. I would estimate less than 1 in 50. And we don’t feel pressured to say “you’re welcome” as people who do say thank you generally leave immediately rather than wait for a reply. Which is good, because we don’t want you lingering by the doors clogging the space boarding passengers need.

Also in the US, our job is actually called Transit Operator and if you want really make us feel good, you can say “Thank you, Operator.” Usually the only people who get this right are in the transit business or related to an operator. But we are not gonna be picky about it.

I talked a little about this with Roman Mars when I was on 99% Invisible.

Also, thank you for riding the bus!

Edit:

*** Alight

Ha I was just about to post "I think I heard on a podcast that the bus drivers do appreciate being thanked." But now I have still only heard this from one bus driver operator so how can I be sure

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Sucrose posted:

I was doing genealogy, and someone online mentioned that yeah, in the 18th century or earlier you sometimes find the name of the exact same person spelled multiple different ways, and this is incredibly aggravating to us (which spelling is the correct one???) but in the mindset of a 17th century person this was no big deal, because to them the spoken version of the name was the real version of their name, and written versions are just transliterations of it, kind of like “whatever, the reader can figure out which person is meant.”

Anyway that kind of blew my mind, because our writing-centric world is so different from the way that our ancestors used to think.

Even people as "recent" as Hitler had relatives who weren't sure of the spelling of their surname due to this. And in many nations the whole concept of surnames for everybody is a relatively recent innovation. It just becomes bothersome in things such as the above example, when you have scientific constants, formulae etc. named after people.

Of course there's also a flipside to this custom, there's dozens of things called "Euler's formula" or what have you, because Euler was in the top two of productive mathematicians.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
I'm an OLD and actually learned to type on a loving typewriter. It was actually a good class, and it taught me a lot of good habits. It took a very, VERY long time to break the habit of putting two spaces after a period, but I'm glad I freed myself from the madness of doing work that is never noticed. Nor did it really matter in the end.

Goodbye, extra spaces everywhere.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Tipping minimum of 20% no matter what quality of service.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
Shoes weren't designed to be worn in the house

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Jaxyon posted:

Tipping minimum of 20% no matter what quality of service if you live in a place where tipping is expected

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

Jaxyon posted:

Just increase the price of everything by at least 20%.
Also include tax in the price of things.

Eating out in the US is far too complicated. The menus have prices, but they are merely lower estimates. Without knowing the local tax rate and then adding another 20% on top of that, there's no way to know how much your food will cost until it's time to pay.
Much like healthcare.

I like how they do it Asia (and probably other places). The menu says it costs $10. You order the food, then you pay exactly $10. The staff all get paid at least a living wage. This is also true in the supermarket and everywhere else.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

James Garfield posted:

Shoes weren't designed to be worn in the house

And if your feet are cold, then you have indoor shoes/slippers for that purpose rather than tracking filth all around your house constantly.

Friend posted:

Ha I was just about to post "I think I heard on a podcast that the bus drivers do appreciate being thanked." But now I have still only heard this from one bus driver operator so how can I be sure

I think people in general like to be thanked for doing their job. Sometimes it can get a bit much, one "thank you" is enough, but 99% of the time you really can't go wrong with it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I admit I have not hitherto felt it necessary to consider "how can I know whether or not other people like expressing gratitude when they do things for me"

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
My dad drove buses for many years and he liked being thanked. I always say 'thank you!' or 'thanks driver!' or something as I leave the bus. Doesn't hurt anything and they don't have to answer because I am already gone.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

HopperUK posted:

My dad drove buses for many years and he liked being thanked. I always say 'thank you!' or 'thanks driver!' or something as I leave the bus. Doesn't hurt anything and they don't have to answer because I am already gone.

Scouts have a whole song for thanking the driver. It's oddly violent.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Where I'm from, we enter busses in the front and leave them in the back. (Which should be a common convention!) I wont squeeze myself past a dozen people or shout in public just to thank the driver after the ride.

If I take the last bus of the night and I'm the only passenger I wish that person a good night across the bus, but other than that I don't tend to talk to them.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer
I think you should clap when they arrive at a stop, like some people do when they land an airplane (for some reason).

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Shadow0 posted:

I think you should clap when they arrive at a stop, like some people do when they land an airplane (for some reason).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0exxEtpacJk

Chill Monster
Apr 23, 2014

Jaxyon posted:

I do this, but I think it is actually a toxic standard that is making the restaurant industry a worse place to be employed, and it is something we need to consciously get away from. If someone gave me good service, I like to give them a bit of extra cash, but it creates problems elsewhere.

In the last 10-15 years, the tip-out system has become standard in a lot of restaurants. The tip-out system is where at the end of the shift, front of the house staff members cut other employees a portion of their tips. On an induvial level, this seems just, since those other employees helped you out, and of course they deserve a bit of money. But if you zoom out, it basically allows owners to shift the burden of paying their employees onto the employees themselves. This allows the owners and managers to have artificially low advertised prices and it creates a massive amount of downward pressure on wages because it becomes the customers choice whether or not the employees get a fair wage and it becomes the employees problem whether or not their coworkers are getting paid, at the expense of their own income.

I think this is one of the reasons why the restaurant industry in the US is so insane and toxic.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

Jaxyon posted:

It’s a trap though, because the only way to stop the tipping system would be for huge numbers of people to stiff working class waiters and the like for years and years until the whole thing collapses. And nobody but huge jerks are willing to do that, so here we are.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Shadow0 posted:

Just increase the price of everything by at least 20%.
Also include tax in the price of things.

Eating out in the US is far too complicated. The menus have prices, but they are merely lower estimates. Without knowing the local tax rate and then adding another 20% on top of that, there's no way to know how much your food will cost until it's time to pay.
Much like healthcare.

I like how they do it Asia (and probably other places). The menu says it costs $10. You order the food, then you pay exactly $10. The staff all get paid at least a living wage. This is also true in the supermarket and everywhere else.

Aren't US and Canada and maybe Mexico the only places that do not display the full prices on menus and price tags, and where you pay a mystery bonus fee at the end of your meal. In Europe you might round up a little bit, but now that everything is cashless, even that is less common than it used to be. I'll occasionally tip if it's like €48 and I have a €50 bill on me, but 95% of the time I pay by card and it just is what it is. I thought mandatory significant tipping was exclusively a North American convention.

I just Googled some lists and from what I can tell they seem to largely have pulled the info out of their rear end ( https://matadornetwork.com/read/international-tipping-guide/ ). Who tips 10% in Croatia? Nobody. 15% service charge in France? I have literally never seen that and I've eaten in hundreds of French restaurants. Same for Germany, who tips 5 to 10%? A typical 10% tip in Turkey, again, no. Egypt? Also lived there, literally never left a tip nor saw anyone leave a tip at a restaurant beyond occasionally rounding up if I paid in cash. "Business as usual" in Norway to add 10-20%? It's been a while since I've been there, but I'm skeptical.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Oct 24, 2022

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Yeah, in Germany, it's usually rounding up to the next euro or the one after that and maybe something like a fiver for large orders or if the service was exceptional.
Tipping 20% is excessively much and if restaurants would de facto force you to do that so that the service personal does not starve, the EU would go against that.
We also don't have ridiculous laws which say that gastronomy workers are exempt from the federal minimum wage of 12€ (currently about 12 Dollar) either.

I can't fathom giving a subpar service a bonus of 20% anytime soon.

Ograbme
Jul 26, 2003

D--n it, how he nicks 'em
Invert right stick Y-axis.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Never. I am not flying an airplane.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Ograbme posted:

Invert right stick Y-axis.

Can we just close this thread? It was a nice idea, but clearly, people are just using it to post inane nonsense in order to get a rise out of people.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Can we just close this thread? It was a nice idea, but clearly, people are just using it to post inane nonsense in order to get a rise out of people.

Not yet, we've almost solved the tipping issue.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Tipping abolished entirely with monthly minimum wage set to 4x local rent for a 1br apartment.

Hiring in Palo Alto will suddenly be very interesting.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

I don't think we can really say we've come to a consensus there. The meta-convention of this thread is perhaps the hardest of all.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
Some places use commas for thousands separation and periods for the decimal point, others do it the other way round. we simply cannot let this stand simply because it's usually pretty obvious unless you go to exactly three decimal places like a weirdo. I propose two new symbols. let's say 1/234/567~89. Or maybe 1~234~567/89. Hmm. Tell you what we'll try it both ways in different countries for a 20-year trial period or so and then once we've decided which one is better we'll get everyone to switch to the clearly better one

Also sometimes I forget which billion people mean, so we will use the convenient SI units as the new mnemonic. a million stays a million, a thousand million is now a gillion, a thousand is now a killion. This will have a pillion benefits in people's day to day lives

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Angepain posted:

Some places use commas for thousands separation and periods for the decimal point, others do it the other way round. we simply cannot let this stand simply because it's usually pretty obvious unless you go to exactly three decimal places like a weirdo. I propose two new symbols. let's say 1/234/567~89. Or maybe 1~234~567/89. Hmm. Tell you what we'll try it both ways in different countries for a 20-year trial period or so and then once we've decided which one is better we'll get everyone to switch to the clearly better one

Also sometimes I forget which billion people mean, so we will use the convenient SI units as the new mnemonic. a million stays a million, a thousand million is now a gillion, a thousand is now a killion. This will have a pillion benefits in people's day to day lives

pillion has loving slain me

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

And combine to suit, so a killion times a gillion is now a kajillion, i like this

Chill Monster
Apr 23, 2014
My new secret pet theory I just pulled out of my rear end is that tipping culture also causes downward pressure on wages because it makes determining your actual wage before you start working very opaque, thus making wage competition less rational. How do I know that I’ll be getting paid more at Shithead’s Seafood as opposed to rear end in a top hat’s Steaks? Shithead’s seafood has a 1 dollar an hour premium on wages, but supposedly the tips are better at rear end in a top hat’s… Evaluating which job is better if you are motivated by cash just became much more complex than if you are a receptionist picking between two medical clinics.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Growing up in the US and moving to a place (Taiwan) where tipping culture does not exist has turned me against the idea of tipping and I just want people to be paid more.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
It's weird as a North American going to a place where tipping isn't "expected" because it's like, really? I'm just going to not do the thing I'm used to doing?

I think the tipping system is poo poo for the reasons already discussed, but it's a stupid cultural thing and you feel weird when you don't do it, even if it's not expected that you do it.

I will say, also, the implied mandatory nature of tipping takes away any benefit. As I said, I'm still... culturally likely to tip in places it's not expected (though not in places where it would be considered offensive) if the service is good. And if you tip for exceptional service, when you've received exceptional service, you will be remembered and maybe given a few benefits. It's transactional. "You did an exceptional job, you deserve extra." "You appreciated the effort, next time I'll spot you over the bar and you get your drink first."

That doesn't really happen when it's assumed everyone tips 15-20%. It's meaningless at that point, which defeats the whole purpose. Further, if I order an expensive steak, for example's sake, does that server deserve more money than the server who brings a vegan customer their dish? Does that customer deserve less attention than me, for that matter?

TL;DR: Mandatory tipping is dreadful in a lot of ways, but if it expected than you still must do it. Until we just get rid of it, like we should, you have to play the game.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Tipping also works as a discount system for assholes which isn't great

If anything assholes should pay more

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Cicero posted:

Tipping also works as a discount system for assholes which isn't great

If anything assholes should pay more
Tipping, but it's the servers who decide how much and you get arrested if you fail to pay. To prevent excessive tips, it's capped at 100% of the base cost.

Angepain posted:

Literally just use periods for decimal separation. I've grown up with the commas for decimal separation system, and it's bad and inconsistent with the use of commas and periods in regular grammar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Just use exponential notation and then it doesn't matter what your decimal separator is :argh:

Although I would also endorse using the poop emoji as the decimal separator and the egg plant for the thousands separator, I guess, if we're reduced to existing like animals