Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer
's and ;s to separate numbers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer
If you boost the minimum wage high enough, people will eventually move away from tipping. We do it now because they'll literally die without it. If they're getting paid a fair wage, people will feel less pressure to tip and it'll go away naturally.

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

If I were a just and honorable person and wanted to run a restaurant where my employees were paid fairly and tips where banned, how would I deal with employees who work during slow hours vs those who work the busy shifts? This is the only thing that has made sense to me about why tipping exists, to incentivize working the busier hours.

I guess you could set up a commission system where waitstaff gets a percentage of the bills they work? Which is basically just the restaurant covering the tip, which may be good or bad for a waiter depending on several factors. How do civilized countries handle this? Different rates for different hours of the day?

Anyway I want to know how people name their files. Q1_sales_review.xls, Q1-sales-review.xls, or Q1 sales review.xsl. I prefer underscores personally. Folders can have spaces though.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
"Sometimes it's busy and sometimes it's not" is true for all retail businesses, including ones where tips and commissions don't exist.

When I worked at a Costco that was unionized, the lifers got the 'good shifts' that were earlier in the day and less busy, new guys got the late/weekend shifts that were busier.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
If you don't have original programming (or live sports) at least once a week, your TV channel should be folded into another network. The exception to the rule is TV Land, which was built on old television.

Ograbme
Jul 26, 2003

D--n it, how he nicks 'em

rodbeard posted:

Never. I am not flying an airplane.
The player character is a vehicle.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Lots of ought vs is happening on tipping.

Yeah tipping is stupid and racist and shouldn't be how people get paid.

But that's the current reality in the USA, and I'm not going to stiff my waitstaff and say "well realistically we should have moved away from this by now"

Chill Monster
Apr 23, 2014

Jaxyon posted:

But that's the current reality in the USA, and I'm not going to stiff my waitstaff and say "well realistically we should have moved away from this by now"

An interesting wrench in the no-tipping argument is that restaurants in the US that have tried to get away from tipping ditch the no-tip system pretty fast. Apparently the staff don’t like it. Having 100 bucks at the end of a shift feels pretty good.
Also, no-tip restraints have higher menu prices. Which makes the prices look higher to a mind that is not thinking critically and factoring in a tip. I’d bet that this is disadvantageous in price competition. It’s a similar principal to why things that cost 5.99 sell better than things that cost 6.00

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Jaxyon posted:

Literally no one in this thread or anywhere has ever proposed doing this.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Friend posted:

If I were a just and honorable person and wanted to run a restaurant where my employees were paid fairly and tips where banned, how would I deal with employees who work during slow hours vs those who work the busy shifts? This is the only thing that has made sense to me about why tipping exists, to incentivize working the busier hours.

My wife worked in a fast food burger joint in Switzerland for a while, making about $25/hr, which is about 3.5x the cost of a 1 br in the outskirts of "Zone 1" Zürich, so it’s very much an adequate living wage. Basically some shifts were harder than others, but you’d shift around the shifts anyway so it should approximately equal out. No one worked 11h-14h and then 17-20 vs someone else only working 14-17h and 20-23h. So you’d work like 11h-18h and you’d have 3 busy hours and 4 low key hours.

That your burger flipper makes $25/hr is also why a fast food burger costs like $17, but it does actually work out very nicely for society at large.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

13 month, 28 day calendar with floating un-monthed New Years Day.

Kodak tried to make this a thing but it never caught on despite being demonstrably better. The 10th is always on a Tuesday! every month is 28 days! it's perfect

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Shrecknet posted:

Kodak tried to make this a thing but it never caught on despite being demonstrably better. The 10th is always on a Tuesday! every month is 28 days! it's perfect

People who "perfected" calendars were maniacs, sadists, imbecils or some linear combination thereof. First of all we have the various vanity months for people most folks couldn't name these days if they tried, so we have 30-day and 31-day months. And we have to have one 28-day month to even things out. And since we need one extra day per 4 years thanks to celestial mechanics, we add that to the 28-day-one because well it's already there. And then, 7 is a prime number. 28 happens to be a multiple of 7, so that'd be swell. But no.

Sadly attempts to modify the time keeping system in use in any large way seem to accompany mass murder, so I guess we're just screwed. Maybe it's not the internet and all the depravity therein that makes Skynet revolt and genocide humanity, it's some engineer who tries to tell it to fix the calendar problems.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Saladman posted:

That your burger flipper makes $25/hr is also why a fast food burger costs like $17, but it does actually work out very nicely for society at large.
A Swiss Big Mac is only 30% more expensive than an American one though. If the price of a more "upscale" fast food burger is higher, I think it's because there are enough people able to pay for it. The "upscale" fast food burger prices in Denmark are like $8-12. That's at $18/hr, +$2/$3/hr for weekends and evenings/nights, +50%/100% for overtime.

Shrecknet posted:

I am pretty sure I arrived at that independently once when thinking about calendars, so yes, it's perfect.

A Buttery Pastry fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Oct 26, 2022

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

A Buttery Pastry posted:

A Swiss Big Mac is only 30% more expensive than an American one though. If the price of a more "upscale" fast food burger is higher, I think it's because there are enough people able to pay for it. The "upscale" fast food burger prices in Denmark are like $8-12. That's at $18/hr, +$2/$3/hr for weekends and evenings/nights, +50%/100% for overtime.

Yeah she was working for a small Swiss chain that has I think 3 stores, which maybe doesn't even qualify as a "chain". I just looked at their menu and the regular burger is CHF16.90 (= $17 = €17; currency conversion sure is easy now). Her burger flipping place paid somewhat better than the international chains; it was about $22/hr for Starbucks at the time. I think Sunday is paid 50% extra, but not positive as the two places she worked were closed on Sunday. Saturday was no bonus pay, nor were nights, or at least not up to 11pm.

Looking at it more, I see a Big Mac is $7.50 and the Big Mac Menu is $14 in central Zurich for delivery on the Smood app, which is the exact same price I see on Postmates for delivery in downtown San Francisco. Conversely, $5.80 and $9.50 for the Big Mac / Big Mac Menu in downtown Memphis. Actually I guess the San Francisco Big Mac is even more expensive since it includes tax, and a much larger tip for delivery, even though the employees make 33% less and rents are higher.

I'd like to think that contributes in part to why sidewalks in downtown San Francisco are covered in human poop, while Zurich is spotless and beautiful, but in all reality I'm pretty sure San Francisco's chronic fecal problem is separate from its subjugation of non-tech non-finance workers problem.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Big Mac Menu = Big Mac Combo for anyone confused.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Shadow0 posted:

Literally no one in this thread or anywhere has ever proposed doing this.

Did I say anyone did?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Saladman posted:

Yeah she was working for a small Swiss chain that has I think 3 stores, which maybe doesn't even qualify as a "chain". I just looked at their menu and the regular burger is CHF16.90 (= $17 = €17; currency conversion sure is easy now). Her burger flipping place paid somewhat better than the international chains; it was about $22/hr for Starbucks at the time. I think Sunday is paid 50% extra, but not positive as the two places she worked were closed on Sunday. Saturday was no bonus pay, nor were nights, or at least not up to 11pm.

Looking at it more, I see a Big Mac is $7.50 and the Big Mac Menu is $14 in central Zurich for delivery on the Smood app, which is the exact same price I see on Postmates for delivery in downtown San Francisco. Conversely, $5.80 and $9.50 for the Big Mac / Big Mac Menu in downtown Memphis. Actually I guess the San Francisco Big Mac is even more expensive since it includes tax, and a much larger tip for delivery, even though the employees make 33% less and rents are higher.

I'd like to think that contributes in part to why sidewalks in downtown San Francisco are covered in human poop, while Zurich is spotless and beautiful, but in all reality I'm pretty sure San Francisco's chronic fecal problem is separate from its subjugation of non-tech non-finance workers problem.

This is all cool, but I want to throw in the monkey wrench that currency conversion rates are partially decoupled from purchasing power - they have more to do with economic conditions that lead currency traders to value a given country's futures more or less, critical commodity rates, etc. Purchasing power parity comparisons tend to use a basket of goods, although those can be misleading too because in some countries a thing is priced as a luxury import where in other countries its priced as a domestically produced low-tier item. E.g., big macs are not necessarily always "cheap food for everyone" in every country.

This calculator is pretty good https://data.oecd.org/conversion/purchasing-power-parities-ppp.htm however it only has data through 2021 (Switzerland at 1.105 to the dollar last year). That's close enough that you can probably not worry about it in this specific case but it's worth keeping in mind.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Saladman posted:

That your burger flipper makes $25/hr is also why a fast food burger costs like $17

Actually, nope.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Cicero posted:

Big Mac Menu = Big Mac Combo for anyone confused.

I'm not sure why, but it seems like most languages except English consider a set or combo a "menu", and then people assume it's the same in English. This is the struggle I must endure every day. :eng99:

This feels like something all languages should come to an agreement on.

Shadow0 fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Oct 26, 2022

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Shadow0 posted:

I'm not sure why, but it seems like most languages except English consider a set or combo a "menu", and then people assume it's the same in English. This is the struggle I must endure every day. :eng99:
I'm not crazy, right? A menu is a list of items, yes?

Yeah in English a menu is the thing you pick from in a restaurant. List of possible items.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

cant cook creole bream posted:

Using the metric system.

When the US failed to adopt the metric system over standard, it became a failed state.

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

Wait so what do they call the thing that lists the options?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Friend posted:

Combo

Shadow0 posted:

This feels like something all languages should come to an agreement on.
I feel like that's only the case for fast food? We use menu for menu here in Denmark, except for combos in fast food joints.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Friend posted:

In German it's Speisekarte, which means, uh, "food map"? "Karte" has a lot of sorta related possible translations: map/card/ticket/chart.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Cicero posted:

In German it's Speisekarte, which means, uh, "food map"? "Karte" has a lot of sorta related possible translations: map/card/ticket/chart.
Which at a quick glance is basically the only European country that hasn't adopted a form of the word menu? Though we do use spisekort here in Denmark too, especially in more old-school restaurants.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The German convention on naming chemical elements should be used in English and elsewhere. Waterstuff, sourstuff, smotherstuff, and so on.

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Combo

I feel like that's only the case for fast food? We use menu for menu here in Denmark, except for combos in fast food joints.

So if you are at a restaurant, you order a meal off of the menu, but if you're at a fast food place, you order a menu off of the combo?:dafuq:

And these are the people making fun of us for using imperial and fahrenheit smdh

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

The German convention on naming chemical elements should be used in English and elsewhere. Waterstuff, sourstuff, smotherstuff, and so on.

The English wanted to call Uranus George. Clearly not a people for naming conventions :colbert:

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Friend posted:

So if you are at a restaurant, you order a meal off of the menu, but if you're at a fast food place, you order a menu off of the combo?:dafuq:

And these are the people making fun of us for using imperial and fahrenheit smdh

Wait until you see how they write numbers

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Friend posted:

It's a shibboleth to identify Americans you can fleece.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

I actually lol’d when I read that. For the other poster: this was a joke. In French the list of food is also called the "carte" like in German (card/map/menu in English). A menu is always a list of several things that you take together, like if you take the daily menu at a restaurant, that would be entree, plat, dessert.

And while I wrote that, why did English take the French word for appetizer (entree) and refer to that as the main course? Makes no sense. It’s even obviously the same word in English for "entry / debut".

Related anecdote: when I first moved to Germany I wanted to get a cheeseburger menu at a fast food place and asked for cheeseburger menu #6, and I got 6 cheeseburgers. I did.. not eat them all.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Oct 27, 2022

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Saladman posted:

I actually lol’d when I read that. For the other poster: this was a joke. In French the list of food is also called the "carte" like in German (card/map/menu in English). A menu is always a list of several things that you take together, like if you take the daily menu at a restaurant, that would be entree, plat, dessert.

And while I wrote that, why did English take the French word for appetizer (entree) and refer to that as the main course? Makes no sense. It’s even obviously the same word in English for "entry / debut".

Related anecdote: when I first moved to Germany I wanted to get a cheeseburger menu at a fast food place and asked for cheeseburger menu #6, and I got 6 cheeseburgers. I did.. not eat them all.

https://www.etymonline.com/word/menu The whole thing seems to be a bit of a mess. I blame the Normans. And I don't care if that timeline doesn't make sense.
But I think calling a set/combo a "small" seems like the opposite of what it is, so "menu" is wrong. :colbert:

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Saladman posted:

After having a bit of a think, I just realized that when we use the word "menu", it's actually a shortened form of "menukort" - kort being the Danish version of carte. That is, the card where you can see the menus. I kinda wonder if the English aren't just slightly ahead in their devolution, and have completely forgotten the card part.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

A Buttery Pastry posted:

After having a bit of a think, I just realized that when we use the word "menu", it's actually a shortened form of "menukort" - kort being the Danish version of carte. That is, the card where you can see the menus. I kinda wonder if the English aren't just slightly ahead in their devolution, and have completely forgotten the card part.

Yeah you can also ask the waiter for "le menu" in French, it just needs to be context specific. If you just sat down and don't have a piece of paper in front of you and ask if you can have "le menu svp", they'll bring you a piece of paper rather than a set list of food. If you already have the menu in front of you and you ask for "le menu svp", then you'll get the daily "combo" which sounds bizarre in the context of anything that's not fast food.

In reality I don't think I've ever been confused by this, but writing it down over the last couple posts has been a mind bending experience.

Actually I guess it could mess you up if you're in one of those restaurants that has the menu written down on a blackboard, especially for lunchtime, so if you sit down and look like you're at a quick business lunch and ask for the menu, they might bring you the daily "combo" (there's no way this is the right English word?) instead of the piece of paper with the list of food items. They'd probably ask if you to confirm if you meant the menu du jour or the list of food, but if someone doesn't speak French well I imagine they might just say "oui" and end up confused when food arrives instead of a piece of paper.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Oct 27, 2022

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Saladman posted:

Pretty sure it's only the Americans that have done that. Entrees are still starters in the UK.

I think we should make a deal whereby the US switches to metric, and the UK and holdout colonies start driving on the right.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

I am not one to highly prize "authenticity" with food. Anything that tastes good is good, regardless of whether it is a bastardized version of how they make it wherever the dish originated.

But words still have meaning, and a cheese pizza is not a margherita pizza.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Inferior Third Season posted:

I am not one to highly prize "authenticity" with food. Anything that tastes good is good, regardless of whether it is a bastardized version of how they make it wherever the dish originated.

But words still have meaning, and a cheese pizza is not a margherita pizza.

Obviously! Does anyone produce Margheritas without oregano or tomato sauce?

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

cant cook creole bream posted:

Obviously! Does anyone produce Margheritas without oregano or tomato sauce?

tomato sauce maybe not, but i do not share your certainty that people can be relied on to use even some kind of herb or seasoning, let alone a specific one

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Angepain posted:

tomato sauce maybe not, but i do not share your certainty that people can be relied on to use even some kind of herb or seasoning, let alone a specific one
Especially since margherita pizza uses basil, not oregano.

Back to the thread topic, everyone should either use ISO 8601 for week numbers or just don't use week numbers. And Monday is the first day of the week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Americanized "entree" is because we used to serve many courses at fancy restaurants and on cruises etc. and in order to be extra-fancy, those menus were written in French (and frequently prepared by chefs from France). So you'd get something like this:

Note that there's things before the Entree, in this case hors-d'oeuvres in addition to a soup (consomme) and fish (poisson) course, and things after, (a roast would be very typical and is called "from the grill" on this menu).

As American taste for gigantic multi-hour meals declined, a few familiar French words were kept on English menus to keep them looking classy. In particular hors-d'oeuvres and entrees are familiar. Erasing the soup and fish and then ultimately even the "main" courses left the Entree as the primary part of the meal.

https://frenchly.us/americans-call-main-course-entree/