Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Nah. Dessert is my main course. What I eat before it is the entree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Open fours are more consistently distinguishable from other characters when compared with closed fours, and thus are the superior form of the symbol, especially in the context of handwritten numbers.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Discendo Vox posted:

Open fours are more consistently distinguishable from other characters when compared with closed fours, and thus are the superior form of the symbol, especially in the context of handwritten numbers.

Okay, but what about dashed seven versus seven with no dash? Should one get little feet or not?

Er, the number one, not the passive 'one'

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Rappaport posted:

Okay, but what about dashed seven versus seven with no dash? Should one get little feet or not?

Er, the number one, not the passive 'one'

Regarding one: where there is potential confusion with the letter L, the writer should include the serif at the top of the numeral. Where no such confusion exists, a serif is not needed (as it invites confusion with the numeral seven).

Regarding seven: the middle line is appropriate where there is confusion caused by an overly large serif on the numeral one.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Discendo Vox posted:

Regarding one: where there is potential confusion with the letter L, the writer should include the serif at the top of the numeral. Where no such confusion exists, a serif is not needed (as it invites confusion with the numeral seven).

Regarding seven: the middle line is appropriate where there is confusion caused by an overly large serif on the numeral one.

Well duh, but we're not French here, there is no NIST table for the sizes of the various lines on top of one and seven. The dash on seven seems optional (and indeed, appears to be a thing of fashion trends, waxing and waning, in teaching curricula!), and what kind of degenerate freak writes the feet on an innocent one? It's a madhouse out there, writing numbers by hand.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Shadow0 posted:

Also, the & and * are part of the variable type and belong next to that, not the variable name, which it has nothing to do with.

I thought this for decades, I mean it's obvious? But then I read Stroustrup and learned it is wrong. A pointer is a special virtual thing. To turn it into an actual thing you dereference it with a star, so *(a pointer) = a thing, therefore you define a thing named (*name) then name is a pointer, cos *name is the thing. And cos if you write a list like:
code:
int a, *b, c, *d;  // Lawful Evil
then b & d are pointers to ints, and a and c are ints, and

also:
code:
int* a,b,c;  // Chaotic Evil
defines a as a pointer and b,c as ints.

There is a dedicated circle of hell for people who would use any of this in any actual code.

my mind was so blown by this obvious reasoning I forgot to look up why the '&' does the same. I think the answer for that is a because-it-does-you-wanna-start-something shrug.

OzyMandrill fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Oct 30, 2022

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

OzyMandrill posted:

There is a dedicated circle of hell for people who would use any of this in any actual code.

Thank you, you've just made me even more powerful.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

It's a magic bullet but the magic is that it's always aimed at your foot.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

ultrafilter posted:

It's a magic bullet but the magic is that it's always aimed at your foot.

I always to make sure to aim at the code reviewers. Occasionally the bullets get through into the master branch. :evilbuddy:

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

sebmojo posted:

2 spaces after a full stop, which is the objectively correct way to post as it makes sentences much more readable.

OK Boomer. (Snort)

Angepain posted:

Toilet roll facing the front, unless you have a pet who is liable to paw at it, then you are given permission to put it the wrong way.

:agreed:

I have a theory that it's always women who put it on backwards. Anyone have evidence for or against?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

BigBadSteve posted:

OK Boomer. (Snort)

:agreed:

I have a theory that it's always women who put it on backwards. Anyone have evidence for or against?

My mum always sighs crossly if I put it the wrong way and turns it around. So no, that seems to be bollocks.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
San Diego Comic Convention.

Can we agree on that?

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
No, comic books are for nerds

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Okay how about this convention. If I click a link, it should open in the current tab. If II middle/control click a link, it should open in a new tab.

Seems like a no-brainer but some places still gently caress it up and it's infuriating.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

mobby_6kl posted:

Okay how about this convention. If I click a link, it should open in the current tab. If II middle/control click a link, it should open in a new tab.

Seems like a no-brainer but some places still gently caress it up and it's infuriating.

Should the newly opened tab be set in focus or just open next to your other tabs?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
There should be no more than 8 tabs open in a browser window at any given time.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

DrSunshine posted:

There should also be no less than 8 tabs open in a browser window at any given time.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

There should be no more or less than 8 tabs in each of exactly 8 tab groups in each of your 8 browser sessions open at any given time

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Leperflesh posted:

There should be no more or less than 8 tabs in each of exactly 8 tab groups in each of your 8 browser sessions open at any given time

Of course, that applies to each of your eight computers.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

DrSunshine posted:

How many icons may a user hold on their desktop?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Rappaport posted:

How many icons may a user hold on their desktop?

Only the empty garbage bin.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
  • i like the european convention of capitalising family names on forms etc.
  • double-spacing after a full stop was always unnecessary, even for monospaced typewriters

Robert Bringhurst, The Elements of Typographic Style posted:

In the nineteenth century, which was a dark and inflationary age in typography and type design, many compositors were encouraged to stuff extra space between sentences. Generations of twentieth century typists were then taught to do the same, by hitting the spacebar twice after every period. Your typing as well as your typesetting will benefit from unlearning this quaint Victorian habit. As a general rule, no more than a single space is required after a period, colon or any other mark of punctuation.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

exmarx posted:

• i like the european convention of capitalising family names on forms etc.

You mean like "John ADAMS"? I see that occasionally but not super consistently, and often it's "ADAMS John" on forms, especially in francophone forms IME. It's really handy when dealing with lists of names with cultures you're not familiar with, and even for those weird westerners with names like Ryan George where you have no clue what is their first or family name.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
yeah. it's also useful in situations where someone has a compound non-hyphenated given or family name (julie anne GENTER, iain DUNCAN SMITH), or where you have a mix of names using both the eastern and western orders (XI jinping, joe BIDEN)

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
People talking about double spaces as being peculiar to typing always feels weird to me because when I was learning to write I remember being told that the gap between a full stop and the next sentence should be about twice as big as the gap between two words so for me double spacing before a new sentence follows on naturally from my practice when handwriting. :shrug:

Cefte
Sep 18, 2004

tranquil consciousness

Discendo Vox posted:

Correct. Dashed seven to distinguish from one, and dashed zero to distinguish from the letter O.

To contribute: pH of anything that ever had a pulse should be expressed as nanoequivalents/L H+ and I will die on this hill.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Cefte posted:

Correct. Dashed seven to distinguish from one, and dashed zero to distinguish from the letter O.

What about ø?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Cefte posted:

dashed zero to distinguish from the letter O.
How do you distinguish that from the letter Ø?

efb

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
This is what happens when anti-Nordic racism is allowed to run rampant.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

cant cook creole bream posted:

Should the newly opened tab be set in focus or just open next to your other tabs?

That should be between you and your browser imo

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Saladman posted:

You mean like "John ADAMS"? I see that occasionally but not super consistently, and often it's "ADAMS John" on forms, especially in francophone forms IME. It's really handy when dealing with lists of names with cultures you're not familiar with, and even for those weird westerners with names like Ryan George where you have no clue what is their first or family name.

Also for Japanese pro wrestling heels.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Saladman posted:

even for those weird westerners with names like Ryan George where you have no clue what is their first or family name.
you have trouble with that? for me it's super-easy, barely an inconvenience

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

If you block-cap the surname, how do you know if someone is Seamus MacAllan or Seamus Macallan?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
MacALLAN / MACALLAN.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

oh I see

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Another web convention. If there's text on the page I should be able to select and copy it. gently caress!

Shrecknet posted:

you have trouble with that? for me it's super-easy, barely an inconvenience

What about Ricky Bobby

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Names are notoriously hard to standardize, there's barely any point in trying, because whatever assumptions you make will be incorrect in a non-trivial number of cases.

You know what's fun? Filling out official paperwork for someone who, legally/officially speaking, does not have a surname.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

PT6A posted:

You know what's fun? Filling out official paperwork for someone who, legally/officially speaking, does not have a surname.
Is that you, Ye?

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

Leperflesh posted:

If you block-cap the surname, how do you know if someone is Seamus MacAllan or Seamus Macallan?

use small caps for the "ac" or something idk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Discendo Vox posted:

There should also be no less than 8 tabs open in a browser window at any given time.

No *fewer* than.