Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

DeadlyMuffin posted:

No *fewer* than.

Having less than 8 tabs open in a browser window is definitely the lesser option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cefte
Sep 18, 2004

tranquil consciousness

Rappaport posted:

What about ø?
In a gesture of magnanimity, for the rest of my life I will slash my zeros with a backslash.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

PT6A posted:

Names are notoriously hard to standardize, there's barely any point in trying, because whatever assumptions you make will be incorrect in a non-trivial number of cases.

You know what's fun? Filling out official paperwork for someone who, legally/officially speaking, does not have a surname.

See also the classic text on this, Falsehoods Programmers Believe About Names (and a version with specific examples)

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

PT6A posted:

Names are notoriously hard to standardize, there's barely any point in trying, because whatever assumptions you make will be incorrect in a non-trivial number of cases.

You know what's fun? Filling out official paperwork for someone who, legally/officially speaking, does not have a surname.

The solution I've mostly seen is just inputting their firstname as their lastname as well, so that mail that would be addressed to 'Mr John' gets through anyway with minimum confusion or needing special cases in code.

I have heard of insanity of systems not letting you have an identical firstname and lastname, which is the real horror.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Rappaport posted:

How many icons may a user hold on their desktop?

Icons may not cover more than 25% of the desktop space!

Uphold Marie Kondo Thought when organizing your desktop: do you click on it often? If not, do away with it.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

DrSunshine posted:

Icons may not cover more than 25% of the desktop space!

Uphold Marie Kondo Thought when organizing your desktop: do you click on it often? If not, do away with it.

Okay, but

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

mobby_6kl posted:

Another web convention. If there's text on the page I should be able to select and copy it. gently caress!

What about Ricky Bobby

This is especially heinous for foreigners. *Clicks "translate page"* *All text remains unintelligible*

Similarly, nothing makes me more frustrated that visiting an American company's website and then being FORCED to use the local language because it constantly redirects you.
Google.com always sent me to Google.ko or Google.de or Google.jp.co. You had to remember the code "nrs" or whatever it was something like "non-redirect something" and tack it on to the end of the URL. Thankfully, they finally added a "View Google in English" option. FINALLY.

Also, Google should have the Web, Images, and Maps buttons in that order. It's so, so annoying when it decides to jumble the order of the buttons just to confuse you and waste time. :arghfist:

exmarx posted:

• i like the european convention of capitalising family names on forms etc.
  • double-spacing after a full stop was always unnecessary, even for monospaced typewriters

My professor in Germany would always write this at the top of exams and such:

quote:

Name: _______
First name: ______
I can't tell you the number of times I wrote my first name on the first line, saw the next line and had to go back and strike it out.
If you're going to call it a first name, put it first! And "name" is also just what most people call your first or given name, put "surname" or "family name" or "last name" or something! :aaaaa:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

https://i.imgur.com/DV2kfNX.mp4

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Shadow0 posted:

This is especially heinous for foreigners. *Clicks "translate page"* *All text remains unintelligible*

Similarly, nothing makes me more frustrated that visiting an American company's website and then being FORCED to use the local language because it constantly redirects you.
Google.com always sent me to Google.ko or Google.de or Google.jp.co. You had to remember the code "nrs" or whatever it was something like "non-redirect something" and tack it on to the end of the URL. Thankfully, they finally added a "View Google in English" option. FINALLY.

I hate, hate, hate going to several websites (common enough for Chinese and Japanese) where all the information about a product I want to buy online is not in text but instead in jpgs with text on them so I can't google translate. Give me an option to make all that poo poo plain text!

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

mobby_6kl posted:

Is that you, Ye?

No, it's actually far more interesting and weird than people who have a single name (either legally or commonly speaking).

I have a student who has two given names, legally speaking. Surname? Doesn't exist. On her passport, that line is blank, given names: "Jane Smith" (more or less). Not a personal choice, as far as I can tell, just one of those things that happens.

Now, having two given names and no surname, she gets around it by using the second given name as a surname MOST OF THE TIME. But it can gently caress poo poo up on government documents. And until I was filling things out on her behalf, I didn't realize that! Cool, eh?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I work in a pharmacy and several times a day I have to say something like 'but what does the system think your surname is?' Because anything other than western Anglo firstname-lastname is impossible for the dumb thing to parse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.
When a guest at someone's house says "welp, time to go", this should be considered a binding and unambiguous declaration of intent. As soon as it is said, all parties involved should be obligated to make a good-faith effort to wrap up all conversation threads and get the guest out the door within fifteen minutes.

Couples, people with children, and other groups of guests who have to leave together must openly negotiate the time of leaving among themselves. Prolonging a stay by holding someone hostage in an extended conversation at the door with your shoes on should be considered a dick move.

Conversely, a host is obligated to give guests about thirty minutes notice before they ask them to leave. After that time has elapsed and the host again indicates it's time for guests to leave, see the protocol above.

This will never be a universally agreed upon social convention, but in a just world it would be.