Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
My dad drove buses for many years and he liked being thanked. I always say 'thank you!' or 'thanks driver!' or something as I leave the bus. Doesn't hurt anything and they don't have to answer because I am already gone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Angepain posted:

Some places use commas for thousands separation and periods for the decimal point, others do it the other way round. we simply cannot let this stand simply because it's usually pretty obvious unless you go to exactly three decimal places like a weirdo. I propose two new symbols. let's say 1/234/567~89. Or maybe 1~234~567/89. Hmm. Tell you what we'll try it both ways in different countries for a 20-year trial period or so and then once we've decided which one is better we'll get everyone to switch to the clearly better one

Also sometimes I forget which billion people mean, so we will use the convenient SI units as the new mnemonic. a million stays a million, a thousand million is now a gillion, a thousand is now a killion. This will have a pillion benefits in people's day to day lives

pillion has loving slain me

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Shadow0 posted:

I'm not sure why, but it seems like most languages except English consider a set or combo a "menu", and then people assume it's the same in English. This is the struggle I must endure every day. :eng99:
I'm not crazy, right? A menu is a list of items, yes?

Yeah in English a menu is the thing you pick from in a restaurant. List of possible items.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

BigBadSteve posted:

OK Boomer. (Snort)

:agreed:

I have a theory that it's always women who put it on backwards. Anyone have evidence for or against?

My mum always sighs crossly if I put it the wrong way and turns it around. So no, that seems to be bollocks.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I work in a pharmacy and several times a day I have to say something like 'but what does the system think your surname is?' Because anything other than western Anglo firstname-lastname is impossible for the dumb thing to parse.