Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Modern variable-spaced fonts allow a period glyph to take up less horizontal space. This takes away the need to add an extra space. Typing two spaces is a relic of monospaced typewriters. In particular, monospaced fonts used the same width for a period, so the period didn't sort of glue itself to the last letter, it floated in a gap after it, which made the following space appear shorter. This was addressed with two spaces, although that creates "rivers of white" on the page.

It's also possible to detect that a period, space, capital letter has occurred on the page and make the spacing slightly wider. I believe some rendering engines do that.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Oct 20, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

if you pre-registered for a convention you should not have to stand in line to get in, at all. They send you your badge, you walk straight in, and there needs to be enough doors open with enough people looking at badges that there's no slowdown even on day one when the doors open.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Saladman posted:

Yeah she was working for a small Swiss chain that has I think 3 stores, which maybe doesn't even qualify as a "chain". I just looked at their menu and the regular burger is CHF16.90 (= $17 = €17; currency conversion sure is easy now). Her burger flipping place paid somewhat better than the international chains; it was about $22/hr for Starbucks at the time. I think Sunday is paid 50% extra, but not positive as the two places she worked were closed on Sunday. Saturday was no bonus pay, nor were nights, or at least not up to 11pm.

Looking at it more, I see a Big Mac is $7.50 and the Big Mac Menu is $14 in central Zurich for delivery on the Smood app, which is the exact same price I see on Postmates for delivery in downtown San Francisco. Conversely, $5.80 and $9.50 for the Big Mac / Big Mac Menu in downtown Memphis. Actually I guess the San Francisco Big Mac is even more expensive since it includes tax, and a much larger tip for delivery, even though the employees make 33% less and rents are higher.

I'd like to think that contributes in part to why sidewalks in downtown San Francisco are covered in human poop, while Zurich is spotless and beautiful, but in all reality I'm pretty sure San Francisco's chronic fecal problem is separate from its subjugation of non-tech non-finance workers problem.

This is all cool, but I want to throw in the monkey wrench that currency conversion rates are partially decoupled from purchasing power - they have more to do with economic conditions that lead currency traders to value a given country's futures more or less, critical commodity rates, etc. Purchasing power parity comparisons tend to use a basket of goods, although those can be misleading too because in some countries a thing is priced as a luxury import where in other countries its priced as a domestically produced low-tier item. E.g., big macs are not necessarily always "cheap food for everyone" in every country.

This calculator is pretty good https://data.oecd.org/conversion/purchasing-power-parities-ppp.htm however it only has data through 2021 (Switzerland at 1.105 to the dollar last year). That's close enough that you can probably not worry about it in this specific case but it's worth keeping in mind.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Americanized "entree" is because we used to serve many courses at fancy restaurants and on cruises etc. and in order to be extra-fancy, those menus were written in French (and frequently prepared by chefs from France). So you'd get something like this:

Note that there's things before the Entree, in this case hors-d'oeuvres in addition to a soup (consomme) and fish (poisson) course, and things after, (a roast would be very typical and is called "from the grill" on this menu).

As American taste for gigantic multi-hour meals declined, a few familiar French words were kept on English menus to keep them looking classy. In particular hors-d'oeuvres and entrees are familiar. Erasing the soup and fish and then ultimately even the "main" courses left the Entree as the primary part of the meal.

https://frenchly.us/americans-call-main-course-entree/

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

There should be no more or less than 8 tabs in each of exactly 8 tab groups in each of your 8 browser sessions open at any given time

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

If you block-cap the surname, how do you know if someone is Seamus MacAllan or Seamus Macallan?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

oh I see