Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer
There are a lot of competing conventions in the world. Some of them have clear and obvious winners.

For example:

Year/Month/Day is the correct way to write dates. If you include hour, minute, second, millisecond, etc. - it's always decreasing in size - and this is just generally true of numbers anyway.
While we're on the topic of time: the 24-hour clock is just better. It's shorter than tacking on AM/PM, and avoids the temptation to just leave off AM/PM and hope everyone else assumes the correct time. It's weird to have two 3 o'clocks in a day. They aren't related in any way, just give them their own numbers.

Brackets should go on new lines. You don't need to save space. It's clearer where a block of code starts. And it just looks more symmetric and therefore nicer.
Also, the & and * are part of the variable type and belong next to that, not the variable name, which it has nothing to do with.

Oxford comma.

I have more solutions to all the world's problems, but I'll just start with these. Tell me other conventions you've found the singular correct solution to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

ultrafilter posted:

The HTML specification requires consecutive spaces to be displayed as a single space. Quote this post and you'll see that there are two spaces between the sentences even though only one is shown.

The single-spacers have infiltrated every corner of society. Their will is now law.

sebmojo posted:

2 spaces after a full stop, which is the objectively correct way to post as it makes sentences much more readable.

Only after periods? What about question marks and exclamation marks and commas and semi-colons?
Also, all this time you thought it was more readable; but now you realize they were secretly swapping in single spaces, and you didn't even notice. I feel like that's a strong argument against what your claim of increased readability.

Sometimes I see people put spaces before punctuation marks, which is very wrong and bad. When I pressed one of such people to answer for their crimes, they also claimed it was for "readability".

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Jaxyon posted:

Tipping minimum of 20% no matter what quality of service.

Just increase the price of everything by at least 20%.
Also include tax in the price of things.

Eating out in the US is far too complicated. The menus have prices, but they are merely lower estimates. Without knowing the local tax rate and then adding another 20% on top of that, there's no way to know how much your food will cost until it's time to pay.
Much like healthcare.

I like how they do it Asia (and probably other places). The menu says it costs $10. You order the food, then you pay exactly $10. The staff all get paid at least a living wage. This is also true in the supermarket and everywhere else.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I think you should clap when they arrive at a stop, like some people do when they land an airplane (for some reason).

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

cant cook creole bream posted:

Can we just close this thread? It was a nice idea, but clearly, people are just using it to post inane nonsense in order to get a rise out of people.

Not yet, we've almost solved the tipping issue.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer
's and ;s to separate numbers

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer
If you boost the minimum wage high enough, people will eventually move away from tipping. We do it now because they'll literally die without it. If they're getting paid a fair wage, people will feel less pressure to tip and it'll go away naturally.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Jaxyon posted:

Lots of ought vs is happening on tipping.

Yeah tipping is stupid and racist and shouldn't be how people get paid.

But that's the current reality in the USA, and I'm not going to stiff my waitstaff and say "well realistically we should have moved away from this by now"

Literally no one in this thread or anywhere has ever proposed doing this.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Cicero posted:

Big Mac Menu = Big Mac Combo for anyone confused.

I'm not sure why, but it seems like most languages except English consider a set or combo a "menu", and then people assume it's the same in English. This is the struggle I must endure every day. :eng99:

This feels like something all languages should come to an agreement on.

Shadow0 fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Oct 26, 2022

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Friend posted:

So if you are at a restaurant, you order a meal off of the menu, but if you're at a fast food place, you order a menu off of the combo?:dafuq:

And these are the people making fun of us for using imperial and fahrenheit smdh

Wait until you see how they write numbers

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Saladman posted:

I actually lol’d when I read that. For the other poster: this was a joke. In French the list of food is also called the "carte" like in German (card/map/menu in English). A menu is always a list of several things that you take together, like if you take the daily menu at a restaurant, that would be entree, plat, dessert.

And while I wrote that, why did English take the French word for appetizer (entree) and refer to that as the main course? Makes no sense. It’s even obviously the same word in English for "entry / debut".

Related anecdote: when I first moved to Germany I wanted to get a cheeseburger menu at a fast food place and asked for cheeseburger menu #6, and I got 6 cheeseburgers. I did.. not eat them all.

https://www.etymonline.com/word/menu The whole thing seems to be a bit of a mess. I blame the Normans. And I don't care if that timeline doesn't make sense.
But I think calling a set/combo a "small" seems like the opposite of what it is, so "menu" is wrong. :colbert:

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

OzyMandrill posted:

There is a dedicated circle of hell for people who would use any of this in any actual code.

Thank you, you've just made me even more powerful.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

ultrafilter posted:

It's a magic bullet but the magic is that it's always aimed at your foot.

I always to make sure to aim at the code reviewers. Occasionally the bullets get through into the master branch. :evilbuddy:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

mobby_6kl posted:

Another web convention. If there's text on the page I should be able to select and copy it. gently caress!

What about Ricky Bobby

This is especially heinous for foreigners. *Clicks "translate page"* *All text remains unintelligible*

Similarly, nothing makes me more frustrated that visiting an American company's website and then being FORCED to use the local language because it constantly redirects you.
Google.com always sent me to Google.ko or Google.de or Google.jp.co. You had to remember the code "nrs" or whatever it was something like "non-redirect something" and tack it on to the end of the URL. Thankfully, they finally added a "View Google in English" option. FINALLY.

Also, Google should have the Web, Images, and Maps buttons in that order. It's so, so annoying when it decides to jumble the order of the buttons just to confuse you and waste time. :arghfist:

exmarx posted:

• i like the european convention of capitalising family names on forms etc.
  • double-spacing after a full stop was always unnecessary, even for monospaced typewriters

My professor in Germany would always write this at the top of exams and such:

quote:

Name: _______
First name: ______
I can't tell you the number of times I wrote my first name on the first line, saw the next line and had to go back and strike it out.
If you're going to call it a first name, put it first! And "name" is also just what most people call your first or given name, put "surname" or "family name" or "last name" or something! :aaaaa: