Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

Hermsgervørden posted:

I drive the bus. We really do like to be thanked. It’s also fairly uncommon, at least in the US, for passengers to thank us. I would estimate less than 1 in 50. And we don’t feel pressured to say “you’re welcome” as people who do say thank you generally leave immediately rather than wait for a reply. Which is good, because we don’t want you lingering by the doors clogging the space boarding passengers need.

Also in the US, our job is actually called Transit Operator and if you want really make us feel good, you can say “Thank you, Operator.” Usually the only people who get this right are in the transit business or related to an operator. But we are not gonna be picky about it.

I talked a little about this with Roman Mars when I was on 99% Invisible.

Also, thank you for riding the bus!

Edit:

*** Alight

Ha I was just about to post "I think I heard on a podcast that the bus drivers do appreciate being thanked." But now I have still only heard this from one bus driver operator so how can I be sure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

If I were a just and honorable person and wanted to run a restaurant where my employees were paid fairly and tips where banned, how would I deal with employees who work during slow hours vs those who work the busy shifts? This is the only thing that has made sense to me about why tipping exists, to incentivize working the busier hours.

I guess you could set up a commission system where waitstaff gets a percentage of the bills they work? Which is basically just the restaurant covering the tip, which may be good or bad for a waiter depending on several factors. How do civilized countries handle this? Different rates for different hours of the day?

Anyway I want to know how people name their files. Q1_sales_review.xls, Q1-sales-review.xls, or Q1 sales review.xsl. I prefer underscores personally. Folders can have spaces though.

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

Wait so what do they call the thing that lists the options?

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Combo

I feel like that's only the case for fast food? We use menu for menu here in Denmark, except for combos in fast food joints.

So if you are at a restaurant, you order a meal off of the menu, but if you're at a fast food place, you order a menu off of the combo?:dafuq:

And these are the people making fun of us for using imperial and fahrenheit smdh