Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009
As an IT person, I would like to formally propose that we drop the convention of women changing their names after marriage. Because I am lazy.

Also, I think we should write dates like “24/JAN/2022” so there can be no possible confusion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

Rappaport posted:

Spelling names should be done away with. Just so long as you get 35% of the letters correct, order doesn't even matter, people can probably guess right anyway. We already do it with transliterated names!

I was doing genealogy, and someone online mentioned that yeah, in the 18th century or earlier you sometimes find the name of the exact same person spelled multiple different ways, and this is incredibly aggravating to us (which spelling is the correct one???) but in the mindset of a 17th century person this was no big deal, because to them the spoken version of their name was the real version of their name, and written versions are just transliterations of it, kind of like “whatever, the reader can figure out which person is meant.” In a 17th century mindset, Jeremy Smith is obviously the same person as Jeromy Smyth, only an idiot would be confused.

Anyway that kind of blew my mind, because our writing-centric world is so different from the way that our ancestors used to think.

Sucrose fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Oct 21, 2022

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

Jaxyon posted:

Tipping minimum of 20% no matter what quality of service.

It’s a trap though, because the only way to stop the tipping system would be for huge numbers of people to stiff working class waiters and the like for years and years until the whole thing collapses. And nobody but huge jerks are willing to do that, so here we are.