Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Shadow0 posted:

Just increase the price of everything by at least 20%.
Also include tax in the price of things.

Eating out in the US is far too complicated. The menus have prices, but they are merely lower estimates. Without knowing the local tax rate and then adding another 20% on top of that, there's no way to know how much your food will cost until it's time to pay.
Much like healthcare.

I like how they do it Asia (and probably other places). The menu says it costs $10. You order the food, then you pay exactly $10. The staff all get paid at least a living wage. This is also true in the supermarket and everywhere else.

Aren't US and Canada and maybe Mexico the only places that do not display the full prices on menus and price tags, and where you pay a mystery bonus fee at the end of your meal. In Europe you might round up a little bit, but now that everything is cashless, even that is less common than it used to be. I'll occasionally tip if it's like €48 and I have a €50 bill on me, but 95% of the time I pay by card and it just is what it is. I thought mandatory significant tipping was exclusively a North American convention.

I just Googled some lists and from what I can tell they seem to largely have pulled the info out of their rear end ( https://matadornetwork.com/read/international-tipping-guide/ ). Who tips 10% in Croatia? Nobody. 15% service charge in France? I have literally never seen that and I've eaten in hundreds of French restaurants. Same for Germany, who tips 5 to 10%? A typical 10% tip in Turkey, again, no. Egypt? Also lived there, literally never left a tip nor saw anyone leave a tip at a restaurant beyond occasionally rounding up if I paid in cash. "Business as usual" in Norway to add 10-20%? It's been a while since I've been there, but I'm skeptical.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Oct 24, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Friend posted:

If I were a just and honorable person and wanted to run a restaurant where my employees were paid fairly and tips where banned, how would I deal with employees who work during slow hours vs those who work the busy shifts? This is the only thing that has made sense to me about why tipping exists, to incentivize working the busier hours.

My wife worked in a fast food burger joint in Switzerland for a while, making about $25/hr, which is about 3.5x the cost of a 1 br in the outskirts of "Zone 1" Zürich, so it’s very much an adequate living wage. Basically some shifts were harder than others, but you’d shift around the shifts anyway so it should approximately equal out. No one worked 11h-14h and then 17-20 vs someone else only working 14-17h and 20-23h. So you’d work like 11h-18h and you’d have 3 busy hours and 4 low key hours.

That your burger flipper makes $25/hr is also why a fast food burger costs like $17, but it does actually work out very nicely for society at large.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

A Buttery Pastry posted:

A Swiss Big Mac is only 30% more expensive than an American one though. If the price of a more "upscale" fast food burger is higher, I think it's because there are enough people able to pay for it. The "upscale" fast food burger prices in Denmark are like $8-12. That's at $18/hr, +$2/$3/hr for weekends and evenings/nights, +50%/100% for overtime.

Yeah she was working for a small Swiss chain that has I think 3 stores, which maybe doesn't even qualify as a "chain". I just looked at their menu and the regular burger is CHF16.90 (= $17 = €17; currency conversion sure is easy now). Her burger flipping place paid somewhat better than the international chains; it was about $22/hr for Starbucks at the time. I think Sunday is paid 50% extra, but not positive as the two places she worked were closed on Sunday. Saturday was no bonus pay, nor were nights, or at least not up to 11pm.

Looking at it more, I see a Big Mac is $7.50 and the Big Mac Menu is $14 in central Zurich for delivery on the Smood app, which is the exact same price I see on Postmates for delivery in downtown San Francisco. Conversely, $5.80 and $9.50 for the Big Mac / Big Mac Menu in downtown Memphis. Actually I guess the San Francisco Big Mac is even more expensive since it includes tax, and a much larger tip for delivery, even though the employees make 33% less and rents are higher.

I'd like to think that contributes in part to why sidewalks in downtown San Francisco are covered in human poop, while Zurich is spotless and beautiful, but in all reality I'm pretty sure San Francisco's chronic fecal problem is separate from its subjugation of non-tech non-finance workers problem.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

I actually lol’d when I read that. For the other poster: this was a joke. In French the list of food is also called the "carte" like in German (card/map/menu in English). A menu is always a list of several things that you take together, like if you take the daily menu at a restaurant, that would be entree, plat, dessert.

And while I wrote that, why did English take the French word for appetizer (entree) and refer to that as the main course? Makes no sense. It’s even obviously the same word in English for "entry / debut".

Related anecdote: when I first moved to Germany I wanted to get a cheeseburger menu at a fast food place and asked for cheeseburger menu #6, and I got 6 cheeseburgers. I did.. not eat them all.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Oct 27, 2022

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

A Buttery Pastry posted:

After having a bit of a think, I just realized that when we use the word "menu", it's actually a shortened form of "menukort" - kort being the Danish version of carte. That is, the card where you can see the menus. I kinda wonder if the English aren't just slightly ahead in their devolution, and have completely forgotten the card part.

Yeah you can also ask the waiter for "le menu" in French, it just needs to be context specific. If you just sat down and don't have a piece of paper in front of you and ask if you can have "le menu svp", they'll bring you a piece of paper rather than a set list of food. If you already have the menu in front of you and you ask for "le menu svp", then you'll get the daily "combo" which sounds bizarre in the context of anything that's not fast food.

In reality I don't think I've ever been confused by this, but writing it down over the last couple posts has been a mind bending experience.

Actually I guess it could mess you up if you're in one of those restaurants that has the menu written down on a blackboard, especially for lunchtime, so if you sit down and look like you're at a quick business lunch and ask for the menu, they might bring you the daily "combo" (there's no way this is the right English word?) instead of the piece of paper with the list of food items. They'd probably ask if you to confirm if you meant the menu du jour or the list of food, but if someone doesn't speak French well I imagine they might just say "oui" and end up confused when food arrives instead of a piece of paper.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Oct 27, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

exmarx posted:

• i like the european convention of capitalising family names on forms etc.

You mean like "John ADAMS"? I see that occasionally but not super consistently, and often it's "ADAMS John" on forms, especially in francophone forms IME. It's really handy when dealing with lists of names with cultures you're not familiar with, and even for those weird westerners with names like Ryan George where you have no clue what is their first or family name.