Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Shadow0 posted:

There are a lot of competing conventions in the world. Some of them have clear and obvious winners.

For example:

Year/Month/Day is the correct way to write dates. If you include hour, minute, second, millisecond, etc. - it's always decreasing in size - and this is just generally true of numbers anyway.
While we're on the topic of time: the 24-hour clock is just better. It's shorter than tacking on AM/PM, and avoids the temptation to just leave off AM/PM and hope everyone else assumes the correct time. It's weird to have two 3 o'clocks in a day. They aren't related in any way, just give them their own numbers.

Brackets should go on new lines. You don't need to save space. It's clearer where a block of code starts. And it just looks more symmetric and therefore nicer.
Also, the & and * are part of the variable type and belong next to that, not the variable name, which it has nothing to do with.

Oxford comma.

I have more solutions to all the world's problems, but I'll just start with these. Tell me other conventions you've found the singular correct solution to.

2 spaces after a full stop, which is the objectively correct way to post as it makes sentences much more readable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Seth Pecksniff posted:

I used to do this, but one space makes it flow a lot better!

there is no shame in being wrong, modfriend. unfortunately the forum software seems to have a bug where it deletes the additional space! i will have to talk to astral to get it fixed.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

ultrafilter posted:

The HTML specification requires consecutive spaces to be displayed as a single space. Quote this post and you'll see that there are two spaces between the sentences even though only one is shown.

:bighow:

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

In my city you always thank the bus driver when you get off* for some reason, I think that is a nice thing to do and should be universal

*Disembark

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Cicero posted:

Do bus drivers actually like that though? I feel like if I was a bus driver I'd get tired of feeling obligated to say you're welcome at every stop a bunch of times.

They just nod grimly

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Jaxyon posted:

Tipping minimum of 20% no matter what quality of service if you live in a place where tipping is expected

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Shadow0 posted:

I think you should clap when they arrive at a stop, like some people do when they land an airplane (for some reason).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0exxEtpacJk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

And combine to suit, so a killion times a gillion is now a kajillion, i like this