Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Cicero posted:

Do bus drivers actually like that though? I feel like if I was a bus driver I'd get tired of feeling obligated to say you're welcome at every stop a bunch of times.
No such obligation exists, except for small children.

cant cook creole bream posted:

People should use toilet brushes after using a public toilet. Is that a categorical imperative we may all agree on?
Assuming the toilet brush handle hasn't been stuck up someone's rear end, yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Cicero posted:

Tipping also works as a discount system for assholes which isn't great

If anything assholes should pay more
Tipping, but it's the servers who decide how much and you get arrested if you fail to pay. To prevent excessive tips, it's capped at 100% of the base cost.

Angepain posted:

Some places use commas for thousands separation and periods for the decimal point, others do it the other way round. we simply cannot let this stand simply because it's usually pretty obvious unless you go to exactly three decimal places like a weirdo. I propose two new symbols. let's say 1/234/567~89. Or maybe 1~234~567/89. Hmm. Tell you what we'll try it both ways in different countries for a 20-year trial period or so and then once we've decided which one is better we'll get everyone to switch to the clearly better one

Also sometimes I forget which billion people mean, so we will use the convenient SI units as the new mnemonic. a million stays a million, a thousand million is now a gillion, a thousand is now a killion. This will have a pillion benefits in people's day to day lives
Literally just use periods for decimal separation. I've grown up with the commas for decimal separation system, and it's bad and inconsistent with the use of commas and periods in regular grammar.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Saladman posted:

That your burger flipper makes $25/hr is also why a fast food burger costs like $17, but it does actually work out very nicely for society at large.
A Swiss Big Mac is only 30% more expensive than an American one though. If the price of a more "upscale" fast food burger is higher, I think it's because there are enough people able to pay for it. The "upscale" fast food burger prices in Denmark are like $8-12. That's at $18/hr, +$2/$3/hr for weekends and evenings/nights, +50%/100% for overtime.

Shrecknet posted:

13 month, 28 day calendar with floating un-monthed New Years Day.

Kodak tried to make this a thing but it never caught on despite being demonstrably better. The 10th is always on a Tuesday! every month is 28 days! it's perfect
I am pretty sure I arrived at that independently once when thinking about calendars, so yes, it's perfect.

A Buttery Pastry fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Oct 26, 2022

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Friend posted:

Wait so what do they call the thing that lists the options?
Combo

Shadow0 posted:

I'm not sure why, but it seems like most languages except English consider a set or combo a "menu", and then people assume it's the same in English. This is the struggle I must endure every day. :eng99:

This feels like something all languages should come to an agreement on.
I feel like that's only the case for fast food? We use menu for menu here in Denmark, except for combos in fast food joints.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Cicero posted:

In German it's Speisekarte, which means, uh, "food map"? "Karte" has a lot of sorta related possible translations: map/card/ticket/chart.
Which at a quick glance is basically the only European country that hasn't adopted a form of the word menu? Though we do use spisekort here in Denmark too, especially in more old-school restaurants.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Friend posted:

So if you are at a restaurant, you order a meal off of the menu, but if you're at a fast food place, you order a menu off of the combo?:dafuq:

And these are the people making fun of us for using imperial and fahrenheit smdh
It's a shibboleth to identify Americans you can fleece.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Saladman posted:

I actually lol’d when I read that. For the other poster: this was a joke. In French the list of food is also called the "carte" like in German (card/map/menu in English). A menu is always a list of several things that you take together, like if you take the daily menu at a restaurant, that would be entree, plat, dessert.
After having a bit of a think, I just realized that when we use the word "menu", it's actually a shortened form of "menukort" - kort being the Danish version of carte. That is, the card where you can see the menus. I kinda wonder if the English aren't just slightly ahead in their devolution, and have completely forgotten the card part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

This is what happens when anti-Nordic racism is allowed to run rampant.