Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chill Monster
Apr 23, 2014

Cicero posted:

Do bus drivers actually like that though? I feel like if I was a bus driver I'd get tired of feeling obligated to say you're welcome at every stop a bunch of times.

It's better to be irritated by being thanked than to feel like nobody appreciates what you do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill Monster
Apr 23, 2014

Jaxyon posted:

Tipping minimum of 20% no matter what quality of service.

I do this, but I think it is actually a toxic standard that is making the restaurant industry a worse place to be employed, and it is something we need to consciously get away from. If someone gave me good service, I like to give them a bit of extra cash, but it creates problems elsewhere.

In the last 10-15 years, the tip-out system has become standard in a lot of restaurants. The tip-out system is where at the end of the shift, front of the house staff members cut other employees a portion of their tips. On an induvial level, this seems just, since those other employees helped you out, and of course they deserve a bit of money. But if you zoom out, it basically allows owners to shift the burden of paying their employees onto the employees themselves. This allows the owners and managers to have artificially low advertised prices and it creates a massive amount of downward pressure on wages because it becomes the customers choice whether or not the employees get a fair wage and it becomes the employees problem whether or not their coworkers are getting paid, at the expense of their own income.

I think this is one of the reasons why the restaurant industry in the US is so insane and toxic.

Chill Monster
Apr 23, 2014
My new secret pet theory I just pulled out of my rear end is that tipping culture also causes downward pressure on wages because it makes determining your actual wage before you start working very opaque, thus making wage competition less rational. How do I know that I’ll be getting paid more at Shithead’s Seafood as opposed to rear end in a top hat’s Steaks? Shithead’s seafood has a 1 dollar an hour premium on wages, but supposedly the tips are better at rear end in a top hat’s… Evaluating which job is better if you are motivated by cash just became much more complex than if you are a receptionist picking between two medical clinics.

Chill Monster
Apr 23, 2014

Jaxyon posted:

Lots of ought vs is happening on tipping.

Yeah tipping is stupid and racist and shouldn't be how people get paid.

But that's the current reality in the USA, and I'm not going to stiff my waitstaff and say "well realistically we should have moved away from this by now"

An interesting wrench in the no-tipping argument is that restaurants in the US that have tried to get away from tipping ditch the no-tip system pretty fast. Apparently the staff don’t like it. Having 100 bucks at the end of a shift feels pretty good.
Also, no-tip restraints have higher menu prices. Which makes the prices look higher to a mind that is not thinking critically and factoring in a tip. I’d bet that this is disadvantageous in price competition. It’s a similar principal to why things that cost 5.99 sell better than things that cost 6.00