Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

James Garfield posted:

Shoes weren't designed to be worn in the house

And if your feet are cold, then you have indoor shoes/slippers for that purpose rather than tracking filth all around your house constantly.

Friend posted:

Ha I was just about to post "I think I heard on a podcast that the bus drivers do appreciate being thanked." But now I have still only heard this from one bus driver operator so how can I be sure

I think people in general like to be thanked for doing their job. Sometimes it can get a bit much, one "thank you" is enough, but 99% of the time you really can't go wrong with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
It's weird as a North American going to a place where tipping isn't "expected" because it's like, really? I'm just going to not do the thing I'm used to doing?

I think the tipping system is poo poo for the reasons already discussed, but it's a stupid cultural thing and you feel weird when you don't do it, even if it's not expected that you do it.

I will say, also, the implied mandatory nature of tipping takes away any benefit. As I said, I'm still... culturally likely to tip in places it's not expected (though not in places where it would be considered offensive) if the service is good. And if you tip for exceptional service, when you've received exceptional service, you will be remembered and maybe given a few benefits. It's transactional. "You did an exceptional job, you deserve extra." "You appreciated the effort, next time I'll spot you over the bar and you get your drink first."

That doesn't really happen when it's assumed everyone tips 15-20%. It's meaningless at that point, which defeats the whole purpose. Further, if I order an expensive steak, for example's sake, does that server deserve more money than the server who brings a vegan customer their dish? Does that customer deserve less attention than me, for that matter?

TL;DR: Mandatory tipping is dreadful in a lot of ways, but if it expected than you still must do it. Until we just get rid of it, like we should, you have to play the game.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Names are notoriously hard to standardize, there's barely any point in trying, because whatever assumptions you make will be incorrect in a non-trivial number of cases.

You know what's fun? Filling out official paperwork for someone who, legally/officially speaking, does not have a surname.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

mobby_6kl posted:

Is that you, Ye?

No, it's actually far more interesting and weird than people who have a single name (either legally or commonly speaking).

I have a student who has two given names, legally speaking. Surname? Doesn't exist. On her passport, that line is blank, given names: "Jane Smith" (more or less). Not a personal choice, as far as I can tell, just one of those things that happens.

Now, having two given names and no surname, she gets around it by using the second given name as a surname MOST OF THE TIME. But it can gently caress poo poo up on government documents. And until I was filling things out on her behalf, I didn't realize that! Cool, eh?