Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deep dish peat moss

Hi BYOB

I've been working on a coloring book graphic novel kind of thing.

There's no plot or dialog (at least that I am including) it's just a series of line art drawings laid out in graphic novel panels that you can color

for example here is one of those that I colored:

Anyway I don't know how much fun it would be for other people to color it in because there are lots of like, not very well defined shapes and stuff. Like you kind of have to do a combination of drawing and coloring and it's all very tiny (these square images would be printed at 2"x2") and yeah I don't know

But if you would like to beta test my coloring book please color one of these

pro tip for coloring things digitally
Don't worry about the lines or keeping them in-tact just draw over them or whatever. And then paste the lineart over the top of the image again when you're done.

Advanced mode: duplicate the line art a bunch of times and then fill in color for various objects on different layers. Then you can create clipping mask layers and add things like shading or whatever very easily. I do this on an ipad it's very fun.

Or you can print it out on real paper & do it that way. Just keep in mind that at 300dpi these squares print at 2"x2"!!!

And if they're not fun to color let me know!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heather Papps

hello friend

gonna resize and print a bunch of these out for my niece and nephews

thanks Dumb Sex-Parrot and deep dish peat moss for this winter bounty!

deep dish peat moss

Heather Papps posted:

gonna resize and print a bunch of these out for my niece and nephews

:hellyeah: I hadn't thought of this until now but I can upscale them pretty easily with Gigapixel, like this:

I'll mess around with the settings and get giant printable versions of them later tonight if you want to wait

e: But I think they'll always be a little wonky like this example is when you look closely so :shrug: either way.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Oct 21, 2022

Heather Papps

hello friend

i'm actually standing over my printer right now with my speed stick, thwacking it ever few seconds to speed it up

Heather Papps

hello friend

i was just gonna resize in photoshop but that is a hack solution. actual page size images would be lovely.

Heather Papps

hello friend

triple posting to say that i bet if you made a bunch of these images you could go to a publisher and sell it as an adult colouring book, sci fi style. that is one i haven't seen yet and have always thought if there was a kirby line art cosmos book i'd buy it in a second.

Buttchocks

No, I like my hat, thanks.
I want to know the story that goes with these.

deep dish peat moss

Heather Papps posted:

triple posting to say that i bet if you made a bunch of these images you could go to a publisher and sell it as an adult colouring book, sci fi style. that is one i haven't seen yet and have always thought if there was a kirby line art cosmos book i'd buy it in a second.

Yeah that's pretty much my plan. I was going to do a little 2"x2" coloring book to try and sell at airports bundled with some overpriced colored pencils. But after making a bunch of them I realized I could do the graphic novel thing which is still what I'm going to do, but I can use this same method to make the panels larger or the lines cleaner. Anyway here they are upscaled to 3600x3600 instead of 600x600, the lines are a little messy because it's ai-upscaled but it will print bigger for sure

Buttchocks posted:

I want to know the story that goes with these.

I have a sci-fi setting/universe I've been kicking around in my head for a few years that I've accepted I'll won't write any time soon because I have unironically serious ADHD so I just go through a phase where I jot down notes about it for a few days and then have no connection to it anymore and can't work on it or think about it for the next month or two because I have bees in my brain. You can try to make sense of this ~100 year slice of the timeline if you'd like.

The short version is there is no short version but weird extraterrestrial signals start orbiting earth every 12 years, a major tech conglomerate releases basically the metaverse except instead of "VR" it's powered by dreams, they start letting people pretty much donate their bodies to have their brains removed to live 24/7 in the dream. Uhh, a giant solar flare happens and messes up all communications on earth which also makes their initial batch of people they put in the dream die, which they hide from the public. They start mass propaganda campaigns targeted at the youth to get them to give up their lives to go into the dream. Then one day a massive comet is heading straight for earth except at the last second the aliens responsible for the signals every 12 years show up and destroy the comet and do mystical alien magic stuff that makes a second moon form near earth. Then the moon develops incredibly fast and 12 years later it has life on it. But then the corporation takes all the bodies that were donated to it and turns them into mindless androids and it starts using them to colonize the second moon. They fight a brutal war against the human ruling regime because they're a social media company that has the literal bodies of its users so they do horrible things like track where opposition soldiers are and send their own family members' bodies (as androids) to fight them and a lot of humanity flees to the outer edges of the solar system to get away from them. But somewhere along the way some nerds in the VR find an exact replica of the new moon in a space game type world they have and when they explore it they find ancient alien gods trapped on it. They don't know it's a place that actually exists they just think it's part of their VR Dream thing so they explore and accidentally set the gods loose and they fight and one of them wins then escapes the dream and manifests in the real world and then essentially starts waging war against the corporation, because it turns out that they had found and imprisoned him and several other ancient gods somehow and used them to power this whole dream thing. Also it calls itself God just to mess with them basically. So then God destroys the corporation and rules over Earth for a while. It was expecting Earth to be full of all the dragons and things from the videogame-esque vr-esque dream world it was imprisoned in and is disappointed that it's not so it grows bored and decides to create those things. And that's where this timeline cuts off but then it becomes a space fantasy thing.

That was all written as backstory explaining why there are elves and dwarves on futuristic Earth in the actual story :v: I'm more interested in the world building than writing the actual story though.

There's a whole lot more to it and I have a pretty much encyclopedic series of gigantic note vector drawings like this but this is the most meaty of them.

These drawings started as concept art for that, but as far as the graphic novel coloring book I wasn't planning to include any story and I figured enterprising color-ers could insert their own characters and dialog if they want to.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Oct 21, 2022

deep dish peat moss

Also I should add that I am AI generating an initial image and then basing the line art very heavily on it (often with more freehand additions than this example, or several images composited together). Here is a timelapse gif showing the full process I'm going through for the finished images, but line art is stolen from robots :getin: But while doing this I realized it was fun and I should just give people the line art to color!
https://i.imgur.com/4be3XUq.mp4

from this initial image:

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Oct 21, 2022

deep dish peat moss

I can't not write 10 million words in manic adhd phases :yeshaha:

Heather Papps

hello friend

deep dish peat moss posted:

I can't not write 10 million words in manic adhd phases :yeshaha:

have you considered leveraging ai text generators? are there any that work from images.

feeding ai images into an ai text generator feels like how we end up fixing the world. tikkun olam.

Areola Grande

it's a free country u pervs
would color and then post

deep dish peat moss

I'm just going to draw them larger from here on out:

I also just realized I could be including way more abstract things in the squigglies on the rocks that could be interpreted different ways depending on the colorer so I have some good ideas for upcoming ones

e: I based them on these:

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Oct 21, 2022

deep dish peat moss

Here is one with much more hand drawn stuff

from

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Oct 22, 2022

deep dish peat moss

Here's another one

deep dish peat moss

Okay if you feel like printing them here are 9 of them in large resolution with the lines cleaned up

Heather Papps

hello friend

love to bump a good thread

Heather Papps

hello friend

Heather Papps posted:

love to bump a good thread

this is as far as i got last night before going to bed, but i'm gonna go to the library and print some pages out and do em with pencil crayon

deep dish peat moss

This one is for advanced players

deep dish peat moss

Heather Papps posted:

this is as far as i got last night before going to bed, but i'm gonna go to the library and print some pages out and do em with pencil crayon

it's planet namek :kiddo: <3

deep dish peat moss

here are some paint-them-yourself mecha

deep dish peat moss

Here are two more of them

deep dish peat moss

here are some cute lil storm spirits and fire spirits

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deep dish peat moss

And some plant spirits and some little robots