Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I love the "History Channel Miniseries" vibe this whole game gives off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
After posting my last comment I picked my Community rewatch back up and the first episode was "Pillows & Blankets" so now this game will forever be about Troy and Abed to me

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I think it would be interesting to see a hero balance Morality and Utility

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

By popular demand posted:

I do wish for a Red Wedding in my plot driven RPGs once in a while, but I don't get that feeling from any JRPG.

After the wedding in Lufia 2, the bride and groom go out and slaughter invading monsters. Does that count?

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I've had the game less than a year, but I remember being so excited by the first Exploration Phase. It's so rare to be able to wander around like that in a strategy RPG and is my big issue with the genre as a whole

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
There's a few important things that you might want to look ahead for and keep in the back of your mind, but for the most part it's consumables

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

dude789 posted:

I believe Bulwark and Raging Beast give give flat increases to the stats they boost so they are very handy in the early game but fall off later as the boosts get relatively smaller as stats increase. As a result I find that Benedict falls off a little bit in the mid game as Now and Twofold Turn aren't enough on their own to justify bringing him. As you mentioned, Dragon Shield is a game changing ability for him. A slight correction on it's effect, Dragon Shield blocks one instance of damage rather than making the affected characters invincible for their entire turn. In TS turn efficiency is so important that trading one of Benedict's turns to potentially cancel out 5 enemy actions is incredibly powerful. It's also possible to waste the shield in a variety of bone headed ways which I've done on several occasions and is always kind of funny.

I felt the same way. Benedict kinda isn't as useful in the midgame, but later on if you set him up to open every fight with Dragon Shield he skyrockets back to the top. It's great for getting squishy mages just a liiiiiiitle further up to smite some baddies

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Natural 20 posted:

I'm putting a pin here because there's just so much cool stuff to talk about when it comes to Frederica's position and family but we just don't know enough about them yet.

The only thing any bio under either of those two needs to say is "is a dick". Unless the bio is under both of them in which case it needs to say "are dicks"

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

JustJeff88 posted:

It's a fantasy RPG and they're rich aristocrats not controlled by the player. We knew this before we even met them for the first time.

I have been sitting here for longer than I care to say trying to come up with a witty reply to prove good NPC aristocrats are fairly common and I have created an extensive list.

-Killgore from Breath of Fire II
-Balbanes from Final Fantasy Tactics

Between them they have almost 3 whole minutes of screentime! Checkmate

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Hyzante

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I feel like it should be mentioned that, outside of a handful of choices, persuading someone to change their mind results in a "That's actually a good point" response instead of "Fine, I GUESS we should do what Serenoa wants to do". Like, they actually weigh your thoughts against theirs

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Frederica and a character we meet later on were almost always dispatched in my game because they are amazing snipers. Knocking out a couple enemies early on is incredibly useful here because there tends to be some bad guys right near you at the beginning of battles and it gives you a little breathing room to set up strategies

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I really like Erador because he may not be book smart, but he has good instincts and draws conclusions based off them. A nice change from the typical dumb tank, and even the "dumb tank with occasional deep insight"

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Erador is just a lot of fun. Tanks in SRPGs tend to be disappointing because they're slow and don't move much, but they gave him an interesting workaround by making enemies come to him

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
It could easily cause a war between all three countries, each side with different plans. A triad of tactics, you could say

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Narve actually ended up my MVP. He was in drat near every battle in my first playthrough. Spark is a great snipe shot and the other Spark user shows up later (I'm unsure of her exact requirements but she came much later for me) and his Sanctuary isn't as strong as Geela's but can definitely make the difference in a pinch. He makes a great duo with Julio

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Bros before uh...your future in-laws and promote Hughette

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I really love how this game deals with shades of gray. Nothing is black and white when it comes to these choices. Hell, even Roland is on board with giving up Roland

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

...ish

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

OOrochi posted:

Yes, to both, sort of. The people in the next update will be a good bit more upbeat, and none of the homes will be burnt down. All of the buildings will have items in them at one point or another in future explorations, and if a building is burnt during this fight, it stays burnt for a while and we miss out on those.

There are also some story effects later on, but we'll see those in due time.

I was curious if you knew about that and was wondering how you'd go about this battle

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Quackles posted:

I managed to beat the battle without using the traps, but only by virtue of using some grade A Glenbrook cheese. When I realized the course of things, I targeted the archers and healers...

...and then had Hughette perch on one of the roofs at the top of the map. Everyone else died, but since no one could get up to where she was, she was able to take out everyone + Avlora one arrow at a time.

One thing I love about this game is not only are the Archers useful (a rarity in strategy RPG's), but they're all different

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Lionel is an interesting character. I'm curious to see your review of him