Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Chrs posted:

I saw it and heres what happens in it:

[The plot in full]

Its not as awful as it sounds and if you like Clerks and Clerks 2 then there will be something here for you. If you don’t like either of those films you’ll hate it. Its a lot better than that new Jay and Silent Bob movie from a few years ago

I watched Clerks and II at least twice each and loved them, and also a number of other View Askewniverse movies, inc. the Jay & Silent Bob one recently (hey, I've seen worse films). Because I loved them, I won't be seeing this film in a hurry, preferably ever. IMO it would be as awful as it sounds from the plot details you give.

Did you pay :10bux: for a cinema ticket, so can't admit you were cheated?

Chrs posted:

Edit 2: the movie is also very pro-NFT

Tallies. Terrible. Thanks for the heads-up.

Edit: View Askewniverse.

BigBadSteve fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Oct 24, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Who Is Paul Blart posted:

Fiction almost universally sucks and we place too much importance on frivolous things like movies in America. We used to make steel and now the Chinese are going to enslave our children and our children’s children.

source your quotes

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

The Big Bang Theory did what Kevin Smith couldn't

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I think a more important question regarding Kevin Smith is if anyone watched Red State.

I just had to look it up to verify that's one of his movies - I only vaguely remember the ads for it.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
CL3RKS

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I think a more important question regarding Kevin Smith is if anyone watched Red State.

I just had to look it up to verify that's one of his movies - I only vaguely remember the ads for it.

Had a friend ask me if I could add Red State to my Plex server because they're a loser Kevin Smith fan who doesn't know how to pirate. By Kevin Smith standards, it's a great movie. By everyone else standards, it's subpar.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

mutantIke posted:

Had a friend ask me if I could add Red State to my Plex server because they're a loser Kevin Smith fan who doesn't know how to pirate. By Kevin Smith standards, it's a great movie. By everyone else standards, it's subpar.

So you admit to watching it?

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I thought Tusk was some silly fun.

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer

CaptainSarcastic posted:

So you admit to watching it?

I let the friend watch it at my place while I browsed Twitter. Maybe paid attention to half the movie. Goodman gave a solid performance but that's no surprise. The funny kid from Succession has a supporting role which was a fun bonus. I'd say that non-Askewniverse (ugh I hate saying that) Smith is generally not bad, but Yoga Hosers exists and that's a worthy contender for Worst Thing so IDK

EDIT: Just looked up a clip and completely forgot Badger from Breaking Bad is in it. loving love Badger.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Lol you don't have to respond to the mods friend.

Lawyer up.

J/k Seth is cool 😎

corn haver
Mar 28, 2020
As a 14 year old in the 2000s equipped with the original BitTorrent client I loved his movies. Kevin, your films have influenced me in a way that I can't remember or care about. Thank you.

corn haver fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Oct 24, 2022

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
I hate to break it to you but Kevin Smith is probably not lurking in this thread because it doesn't have any witty observations about Batman. BTW I'm just now remembering how there's like a 6 minute scene in Clerks 3 where Amy Sedaris just makes Star Wars jokes or whatever and it's probably the best part of the movie because she's an actual actor with talent

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

mutantIke posted:

I hate to break it to you but Kevin Smith is probably not lurking in this thread because it doesn't have any witty observations about Batman. BTW I'm just now remembering how there's like a 6 minute scene in Clerks 3 where Amy Sedaris just makes Star Wars jokes or whatever and it's probably the best part of the movie because she's an actual actor with talent

She's also made to let Kevin Smith's self-insert character that he doesn't have a small dick like, four times

Biohazard
Apr 17, 2002

Kevin smith can just keep making Kevin smith movies, that’s fine with me. I didn’t hate clerks 3, but I was at the right age for the first 2, so I guess it’s nostalgia. I dunno tho, I’m gonna dunk on a guy who’s making a living as a filmaker and not making marvel movies or live action Disney remakes.

corn haver
Mar 28, 2020

mutantIke posted:

I think that I have failed to convey an appropriate air of levity to indicate that I was not actually attempting to address Kevin Smith via the General Bullshit forum, but was instead using a rhetorical device. Time for me to put on the jorts of shame.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

corn haver posted:

I think that I have failed to convey an appropriate air of levity to indicate that I was not actually attempting to address Kevin Smith via the General Bullshit forum, but was instead using a rhetorical device. Time for me to put on the jorts of shame.

:same:

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Dogma absolutely still slaps. I'm not a huge fan of the View Askewniverse in general but that's a movie I'll watch every couple of years. Affleck and Damon kind of carry it, but they do it well.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I think Chasing Amy was absolutely awful and hearing the weird sexual dialogue while knowing it was written by Kevin Smith is tough

sad question
May 30, 2020

I fondly remember the ending, where Affleck excitedly proposes a threesome to fix all their problems and it immediately destroys both relationships. Most realistic piece of relationship writing from Smith by far

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

mallrats still good tho imo

bartok
May 10, 2006

We were going to see Clerks 3 but my partner came to her senses and decided we should watch Terrifier 2 instead. I think she made the right call. Watching a nearly 2 1/2 hour killer clown movie was certainly one of the more fun theater going experiences I've had in a while. Sadly no one puked or fainted during our screening.

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
The Impractical Jokers are in it and Joe mentions his divorce.

Also Silent Bob starts speaking and it turns out he's a creative film making genius!

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
Clerks 1 is hard to watch because the lines are spoken like it's a high school drama class.

naem
May 29, 2011

clerks 1 took place when the then young generation felt stuck in dead end retail jobs and were sarcastic about it, which felt fun and undermined the status quo. people still felt hope. young people sure are wacky haha. did you know young people make observations?

today people work those jobs as their sole source of income and there is nothing else out there, you need multiple jobs to pay rent, everyone is too tired to make quippy quotes

unless you’re kevin smith, in which case you get to pay rosario dawson and all your elderly friends to show back up and jerk off all over them a couple more times because you didn’t die. good work if you can get it

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

mallrats still good tho imo

Ya

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
who was dring? bear is drivng was thier a call back?

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

SpaceAceJase posted:

Also Silent Bob starts speaking and it turns out he's a creative film making genius!

kevin smith squatting in his lovely comic shop trying to dispense nuggets of wisdom to sad nerds like yoda or something is the funniest thing hes done and it's clearly given him an ego lmbo

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Near the end of when I stopped listening to Adam Carolla’s podcast a decade ago there was a confusing guest appearance by Smith to “squash a beef” but whatever the issue was was not made clear & it was two baffling hours of Smith trying to apologize but also not understanding why Adam was mad. That did get me to stop listening & to find better podcasts so props to Smith.

I think he mentioned a soda fountain was poorly installed in his house and flooded the place which required an eight month total gutting & remodel, must have happened when he was out of town.

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
Kevin Smith Soda Fountain vs. Notch Stale Candy Room. Which is funnier/more depressing

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

too bad tv is dead because i kinda miss the cribs shows where you got to see how rich people can’t resist turning their homes into homer simpson cars

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
When I was like 12 or 13 I stayed with a rich family friend during a hurricane and they had a stone fire pizza oven next to their regular oven. There was a giant rear end home theater where I watched three seasons of Bojack Horseman. The showers were so complicated that you controlled them with iPads built into the walls. Amazing place to stay for two weeks but living in a McMansion long term must rot your brain immensely

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

mutantIke posted:

Kevin Smith Soda Fountain vs. Notch Stale Candy Room. Which is funnier/more depressing

Soda Fountain, especially combined with his complaints about his wife buying $30k rugs that cost more than Clerks. Guessing those were not salvageable

bartok
May 10, 2006

mutantIke posted:

I assume the soda fountain is part of an in home theater set up to be shared with friends and family while Notch hoards candy like some kind of racist Smaug.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Mister Speaker posted:

Dogma absolutely still slaps. I'm not a huge fan of the View Askewniverse in general but that's a movie I'll watch every couple of years. Affleck and Damon kind of carry it, but they do it well.

Rickman and Carlin were perfect for their roles too.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Deki posted:

Rickman and Carlin were perfect for their roles too.

yeah that movie is probably his best, talking poo poo about Catholic dogma is timeless

naem
May 29, 2011

mutantIke posted:

When I was like 12 or 13 I stayed with a rich family friend during a hurricane and they had a stone fire pizza oven next to their regular oven. There was a giant rear end home theater where I watched three seasons of Bojack Horseman. The showers were so complicated that you controlled them with iPads built into the walls. Amazing place to stay for two weeks but living in a McMansion long term must rot your brain immensely

I think rich people get diminishing returns on their rich people stuff

like the dopamine hit you might get after winning the lotto and going from paycheck to paycheck, to mcmansion ipad showers it’s probably great it’s a huge rush

but once you’ve acclimated to nice things you keep reaching with gold plated candy dispensers and talking pizza ovens and pretty soon you’re scrambling for a sense of purpose unable to produce enough serotonin or feel anything

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

notch said no to hanging out and smoking weed with snoop

if anything kevin smith started smoking too much weed

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

mutantIke posted:

um that places you age at far younger than the nomral goons how did you even find out about this place?

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

mutantIke posted:

... I'd say that non-Askewniverse (ugh I hate saying that) Smith is generally not bad, but Yoga Hosers exists and that's a worthy contender for Worst Thing so IDK

Definitely not gonna say "fight me" over it, but I rather liked Yoga Hosers, and watched it at home, twice, a few months ago. OK, I didn't pay for it, and I was looking at other poo poo on my laptop during both views (multitasking). Admittedly, an undistracted cinema viewing would have been quite a chore after maybe the first half hour. But the leads (Smith & co.'s daughters, hey why not put your daughter in a movie if you can) were cute and effervescent, and had some funny lines. l loved their rock version of the Canadian national anthem at the end of the film. I wonder if any Canadians liked it. The (too) many "popups" giving character summaries did annoy, and the plot was so forgettable that I literally remember none of it now, except that there was yoga and Hosers. 5.5/10 I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

mutantIke posted:

So you were suffering around the end of the two weeks? Yes, incredible luxury, it can wear you right down. Was there a soda fountain?