Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Literally every other episode someone points a gun at the guy. Why doesn't he ever buy a gun? Or at least Natalie buy a gun since Monk would probably be red-flagged due to his mental health issues. Every other episode he figures out who the killer is, the killer walks in on him explaining who it is and holds him hostage (NOT killing him despite literally being a murderer already). If I was held hostage every month I would probably consider getting some level of protection. Columbo never had a gun either but he also never had guys try to shoot him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

doesn't monk live in san francisco? He probably cant get a gun legally because of the liberals

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

bossy lady posted:

doesn't monk live in san francisco? He probably cant get a gun legally because of the liberals

another thing: monk rents and in an early-ish episode he's forced to get a job for a magazine and his nurse is amazed at him being paid 40k a year. He should by all rights be homeless and yet he seems to experience no economic discomfort and has a personal assistant.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

i've never seen the show OP but monks are peaceful they wouldn't use a gun they'd use a sweet and ancient martial art, but only in self defence

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

i've never seen the show OP but monks are peaceful they wouldn't use a gun they'd use a sweet and ancient martial art, but only in self defence

You should watch Monk. It's a pretty good modern take on Sherlock Holmes that focuses on the almost completely alienated from society part of his character instead of the he and watson should totally kiss part.

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

another thing: monk rents and in an early-ish episode he's forced to get a job for a magazine and his nurse is amazed at him being paid 40k a year. He should by all rights be homeless and yet he seems to experience no economic discomfort and has a personal assistant.

America really needs to stop making TV shows set in its largest cities unless the characters are all super rich.

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

I scrolled to the end of the thread in anger.

I had been planning to watch Monk ever since it turned up on prime but now they are charging for it!

It's nice and charming but who tf is going to pay £2.99 an episode for it? Back when video rental shops existed I could go to Double Vision (you can tell by the name they always had a two for one deal) and get six-eight hours of entertainment for the same price if I picked the right DVDs with enough special features.

Of course, that was back when I worked 12 hour shifts 4 days a week and didn't have time to get through it all. Had to pay a lot of late fees.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Valko posted:

I scrolled to the end of the thread in anger.

I had been planning to watch Monk ever since it turned up on prime but now they are charging for it!

It's nice and charming but who tf is going to pay £2.99 an episode for it? Back when video rental shops existed I could go to Double Vision (you can tell by the name they always had a two for one deal) and get six-eight hours of entertainment for the same price if I picked the right DVDs with enough special features.

Of course, that was back when I worked 12 hour shifts 4 days a week and didn't have time to get through it all. Had to pay a lot of late fees.

in america it's still included with the price and its on peacock too so free if you watch ads. Fuel prices, Liz Truss, and now they're charging for Monk? It's a sad year for the UK.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
I don't remember monk much was he like autistic or what was his deal with being good at solving mysteries but also weird

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
Sharona shoulda been watching him more

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Nooner posted:

I don't remember monk much was he like autistic or what was his deal with being good at solving mysteries but also weird

he had OCD except they never said it by name. He did have a lot of trouble relating to people and had sensory stuff so I think he was on the spectrum too. He always had it but it became much worse when his father abandoned the family as a kid and then became absolutely crippling when his wife was killed in a car bomb. Him being good at mysteries is just because hes smart and observant. There's like one episode where he takes medicine that makes him fine but remove his ability to solve crime but that episodes bullshit that trope's bullshit and everyone hates it.

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
Remember when Markie mark ran over Monk with The Rock?

...yeah I wish I didn't either.

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

he had OCD except they never said it by name. He did have a lot of trouble relating to people and had sensory stuff so I think he was on the spectrum too. He always had it but it became much worse when his father abandoned the family as a kid and then became absolutely crippling when his wife was killed in a car bomb. Him being good at mysteries is just because hes smart and observant. There's like one episode where he takes medicine that makes him fine but remove his ability to solve crime but that episodes bullshit that trope's bullshit and everyone hates it.

Nice I stopped taking my meds too :getin:

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

Can we talk about other mystery shows ITT?

Anyone remember the mystery files of shelby woo? She didn't have to rely on neurodivergence to solve crimes. She was just a plucky asian american girl with a wise grandfather (pat morita ofc).

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
Shelby Woo was a cop

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

I thought the subtext of the show was that a teenager was smarter than the detectives of the boston PD

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat
how is monk? is it something you can watch while you scroll forums trying to numb the horrific pain of your awful life that you have no chance to change or escape from?

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

thin blue whine posted:

how is monk? is it something you can watch while you scroll forums trying to numb the horrific pain of your awful life that you have no chance to change or escape from?

It was a show almost designed for middle-aged women to watch in the background while they do jigsaw puzzles especially the Natalie seasons so yes

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

You know what? It's a jungle out there.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Tony Shalhoub is another guy who really Looks Like His Name.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
He just going to deflect the bullet and throw it back idk :shrug:

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I started watching Sons of Anarchy which is WAY more badass than whatever this is

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Lol sons of anarchy gets absolutely insane the longer you watch it, not particularly in a good way

It was a solid show to watch and make fun of w goons when it was on tho

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

40K was like a million dollars in 90’s bux

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

bossy lady posted:

I thought the subtext of the show was that a teenager was smarter than the detectives of the boston PD

No that was the subtext of real life

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

Why Monk, OP? Just curious as there are lots of other 1000-episode pieces of slop out there in the world

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

I watched this a few times when it was on TV and in my very bad opinion he seemed like a less fun version of Columbo.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
My wife loves Monk but watching it makes her OCD actively worse

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
"oh, and just one more thing" [washes his hands repeatedly]

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.

Empty Sandwich posted:

"oh, and just one more thing" [washes his hands repeatedly]

[runs back upstairs to verify, for the third time, that he did in fact lock the door to his apartment]
[the killer strolls away effortlessly]

Hey so I've never really watched the show except for one time back in...I think 2006, when I was visiting my girlfriend-at-the-time-now-wife's home for the first time. Her mom was watching Monk so I sat there and watching it with her and answered questions like "Why do you like <daughter>?" and "Why aren't you a cowboy? We always expected <daughter> to get with a cowboy." The show was fine, I guess.

So then much later on, my wife <daughter> (yes this is her real name, I don't want to talk about it) started watching Monk and I caught a glimpse of it here and there. I came up with an absolute zinger, okay? I said, "He's quite the...defective detective," right? <daughter> didn't laugh, she just said, "I think they made that same joke in the show before."

Ladies and gentlemen, this man is for the birds!

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

LargeHadron posted:

[runs back upstairs to verify, for the third time, that he did in fact lock the door to his apartment]
[the killer strolls away effortlessly]

Hey so I've never really watched the show except for one time back in...I think 2006, when I was visiting my girlfriend-at-the-time-now-wife's home for the first time. Her mom was watching Monk so I sat there and watching it with her and answered questions like "Why do you like <daughter>?" and "Why aren't you a cowboy? We always expected <daughter> to get with a cowboy." The show was fine, I guess.

So then much later on, my wife <daughter> (yes this is her real name, I don't want to talk about it) started watching Monk and I caught a glimpse of it here and there. I came up with an absolute zinger, okay? I said, "He's quite the...defective detective," right? <daughter> didn't laugh, she just said, "I think they made that same joke in the show before."

Ladies and gentlemen, this man is for the birds!

She's right. They made that joke in the pilot episode when Randy Disher meets Monk for the first time. And they also made the verify for the third time joke in the very first scene of the show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHsjnGeHQOY

Sounds like you should've written for monk.

satanic splash-back posted:

I watched this a few times when it was on TV and in my very bad opinion he seemed like a less fun version of Columbo.

nothing is as fun as columbo. If you compare every painting to da vinci you'll never enjoy the art museum.

BIG FLUFFY DOG fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Oct 25, 2022

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

40K was like a million dollars in 90’s bux

This is no exaggeration. I use the rough formula of doubling the amount for every decade that's elapsed (due to compound inflation). That makes $40K then around a million now.

And let us remember to use the correct terminology for psychiatric conditions, based on the income and assets of the sufferer:
  • Poor: Insane
  • Middle class: Neurotic
  • Rich: Eccentric.
So Monk is merely 'eccentric'.

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
binge watching old shows that weren't meant to be binged watched is weird. You notice how much stuff gets recycled and repeated

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

binge watching old shows that weren't meant to be binged watched is weird. You notice how much stuff gets recycled and repeated

yeah every other frame-up in columbo is "burglary gone wrong"

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
I rewatched Monk last year, it's still fun but occasionally a writer seems to hate Monk and puts him in even worse fish out of water situations than usual that just suck

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
you should watch Psych next, Op

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

AARD VARKMAN posted:

I rewatched Monk last year, it's still fun but occasionally a writer seems to hate Monk and puts him in even worse fish out of water situations than usual that just suck

yah those episodes suck

Ted Levine is awesome on Monk

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

AARD VARKMAN posted:

you should watch Psych next, Op

i love psych and since i think its implied they take place in the same universe and the show ends with everyone moving to san Francisco I really wanted a cross-over movie or episode where Monk and Shawn compete for the same case because they would have hated each other.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
At best monks binge-watch the walls of their lovely cloisters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I remember really liking it when I was younger. For some reason the scene of Monk I always remember was the episode where he runs for mayor of SF, and everyone thought he was racist because he wiped his hands after shaking hands with a black guy (he wiped his hands after shaking everyone’s hands)