Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

I could be wrong now ...... BUT I DONT THINK SO!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn haver
Mar 28, 2020

CharlestonJew posted:

I remember really liking it when I was younger. For some reason the scene of Monk I always remember was the episode where he runs for mayor of SF, and everyone thought he was racist because he wiped his hands after shaking hands with a black guy (he wiped his hands after shaking everyone’s hands)
i had ocd, and i offended people occasionally with stuff like rinsing out a cup i grabbed from their cupboard thoroughly before getting water, just out of habit

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

corn haver posted:

i had ocd, and i offended people occasionally with stuff like rinsing out a cup i grabbed from their cupboard thoroughly before getting water, just out of habit

I have friends who do this as a matter of course bc they grew up without dishwashers (this is how it was explained to me).

I actually noticed it in a scene when I was binge-watching Preacher.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

corn haver posted:

neurodivergence is just people getting mad at you out of nowhere for you living your life. I find Monk very relatable as exaggerated as it can be for precisely this reason.

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
I've got a great-uncle or something who wrote for Monk while it was airing. He's now working on that soulless Law & Order reboot. As far as early 2000s "ND Savant Procedural" shows go, possibly the best? I was always more a Psych fan. Worst procedural is Scrubs. gently caress Scrubs.

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

i've never seen the show OP but monks are peaceful they wouldn't use a gun they'd use a sweet and ancient martial art, but only in self defence

I enjoyed this show back in the day, which is along those lines:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kung_Fu_(1972_TV_series)

I don't know how good the more recent spinoff series are.

Back to Monk: Youtube's Official Monk Channel has short tasters, but watch out because the video that plays by default has multiple episode spoilers.
https://youtube.com/channel/UCJupYE9jI62gvmn4NSD3fDg

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

mutantIke posted:

Worst procedural is Scrubs. gently caress Scrubs.

This is the first time I've seen Scrubs referred to as a procedural

Sex Farm
Nov 17, 2017

I would have liked a Monk/House crossover

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.

Sex Farm posted:

you whould watch In The Name of the Rose if you like monkhouses

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer

Laterite posted:

This is the first time I've seen Scrubs referred to as a procedural

Doctor shows are just a slightly different type of procedural. Scrubs less so than something like House but still within means

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Sex Farm posted:

MonkHouses By Proxy

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.
Nowadays we have a "special" doctor on TV. Am I wrong jn thinking doctors and police officers are the kinds of professions that shouldn't allow for that kind of thing?

EDIT: Also Psych was better

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Him being good at mysteries is just because hes smart and observant.

His being good at mysteries is because of his OCD he can immediately recognize anything out place which is always the clue for murder.

Outpost22 posted:

Psych was better

Psych starts of strong, gets better, and then mid run they completely lose control of the show and it's terrible, and then the last season it comes back around to pretty good. During the terrible times, they basically ignore the premise of the show (Shawn is a pretend psychic ). There's also three psych tv movies because the entire entertainment industry is creatively bankrupt. Psych starts to suffer from the worn premise that if the main characters would just talk to each other every episode would be over in five minutes.

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

It was a show almost designed for middle-aged women to watch in the background while they do jigsaw puzzles especially the Natalie seasons so yes

I've watched Psych and Monk straight through, and I couldn't tell you what happens in a single specific episode. Probably most were watched while folding laundry.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Valko posted:

I scrolled to the end of the thread in anger.

I had been planning to watch Monk ever since it turned up on prime but now they are charging for it!

It's nice and charming but who tf is going to pay £2.99 an episode for it? Back when video rental shops existed I could go to Double Vision (you can tell by the name they always had a two for one deal) and get six-eight hours of entertainment for the same price if I picked the right DVDs with enough special features.

Of course, that was back when I worked 12 hour shifts 4 days a week and didn't have time to get through it all. Had to pay a lot of late fees.

you could afford it if your Monk :colbert:

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

40K was like a million dollars in 90’s bux

this too.

also how does his wife die. now i am just picture monk standing there as his wife explodes like hueys gf in the boys and he is just trying to get all the blood and flesh and visera off of him while uncontronably weeping. hence the illness because its TV and hits like hammer.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Dapper_Swindler posted:

also how does his wife die. now i am just picture monk standing there as his wife explodes like hueys gf in the boys and he is just trying to get all the blood and flesh and visera off of him while uncontronably weeping. hence the illness because its TV and hits like hammer.

His wife has a nervous breakdown, it's captured in this deleted Monk scene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdJvARPclnU&t=133s

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
Now I'm imagining a law procedural centering around Chuck McGill. He can't go near electricity but he solves crimes anyway

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Super-NintendoUser posted:

His being good at mysteries is because of his OCD he can immediately recognize anything out place which is always the clue for murder.

Psych starts of strong, gets better, and then mid run they completely lose control of the show and it's terrible, and then the last season it comes back around to pretty good. During the terrible times, they basically ignore the premise of the show (Shawn is a pretend psychic ). There's also three psych tv movies because the entire entertainment industry is creatively bankrupt. Psych starts to suffer from the worn premise that if the main characters would just talk to each other every episode would be over in five minutes.

I've watched Psych and Monk straight through, and I couldn't tell you what happens in a single specific episode. Probably most were watched while folding laundry.

sure but even the worst episodes of psych still have lassiter getting mad and insulting shawn so its still alright tv.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
The most interesting twist of psych is that gus ends up a loser and Shawn ends up maturing.

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020

Treecko posted:

Remember when Markie mark ran over Monk with The Rock?

...yeah I wish I didn't either.

You think the avenger litterally right there would have stopped them.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

Doc Fission posted:

Why Monk, OP? Just curious as there are lots of other 1000-episode pieces of slop out there in the world

Yeah. I switched over to psych for the crime solving and crippling emotional problems but funny. They had me at “marshmallow nipples”.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Doc Fission posted:

Why Monk, OP? Just curious as there are lots of other 1000-episode pieces of slop out there in the world

I'm autistic and relate to how he freaks out about things that don't make sense to anyone else and has trouble connecting to other people but still wants to.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

I'm autistic and relate to how he freaks out about things that don't make sense to anyone else and has trouble connecting to other people but still wants to.

I thought that was just being human

sad question
May 30, 2020

It would be better if he acted like his character in Galaxy Quest

corn haver
Mar 28, 2020

Rinkles posted:

I thought that was just being human
It is until it doesn't make sense socially at all or causes life problems. I can't speak for autism, but people really don't like or understand you checking the oven, then leaving, then checking the door, then thinking you may have accidentally turned on the oven and checking it again, then checking your computer because it may overheat and catch fire, etc. Then you get in the car and think of the building burning down because of your negligence and killing a baby and you feel like you absolutely must do it again. It isn't normal and people are not very sympathetic and compassionate about it. It takes a lot of mental energy to hide it or force your way through it, which can cause further problems if you have to do it all day, every day. So it's natural for someone to relate to a character who has to deal with that if it's similar to what they deal with. It's also safe and contained because it's just a show and often cartoonish, but it touches some of that stuff.

corn haver fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Oct 26, 2022

corn haver
Mar 28, 2020
Man I really am a buzzkill sometimes. Here's an amazing but unbelievably stupid scene from Monk that i saw when googling the show that I saw maybe half an episode of. Buster Keaton-esque

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TaIvgulvIgo

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

corn haver posted:

Man I really am a buzzkill sometimes. Here's an amazing but unbelievably stupid scene from Monk that i saw when googling the show that I saw maybe half an episode of. Buster Keaton-esque

there was a lot of that, you should watch it

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully
I remember these shows running simultaneously and getting lumped in with Burn Notice on the same network and even though it had a wildly different premise and tone it still felt kinda samey along with the other two. They're all good laundry folding shows.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
What is burn notice?

https://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/burn-notice-game-show/2751223

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Are there even any American detective shows airing right now? The most recent I can think of is Castle which ended 6 years ago. Psych ended 8 years ago. Bosch was more recent but season long mysteries are a different beast entirely and not laundry folding compatible

Elementary was decent but lol Sherlock Holmes yet again

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Oh man, speak of the devil!!!!

https://twitter.com/rianjohnson/status/1585289053556965377?t=nDlXEuT_96IGguby83WQLQ&s=19

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

I watched this show thinking it would be about thelonious monk solving jazz crimes but was sadly mistaken.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I like the episode where George kramers in and solves all the cases and Monk is standing in the corner shouting Serenity Now!

Turpitude II
Nov 10, 2014

Outpost22 posted:

Nowadays we have a "special" doctor on TV. Am I wrong jn thinking doctors and police officers are the kinds of professions that shouldn't allow for that kind of thing?

EDIT: Also Psych was better

i don't know if police vet for mental illness but i heard they vet for high iq, which is lol, and probably precludes a lot of euphemistically "special" people who are, ya know, actually smart and capable of solving crimes unlike the rest of the force, more interested in solving crimes and driven by a better moral compass than cops, etc

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer

Natasha Lyonne is maybe the perfect casting choice for Girl Columbo? They basically have the same voice and impish nature

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

I'm being told by many people saying that Monk isn't actually a monk, he's a private eye

You think the writers would know better

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM

mutantIke posted:

Natasha Lyonne is maybe the perfect casting choice for Girl Columbo? They basically have the same voice and impish nature

There was some talk circulating around last year about her being the perfect choice for a Columbo reboot; make her Columbo's daughter, have her swagger around in her dads old coat, have the occasional Kate Mulgrew cameo where she reminisces about her crazy detective ex-husband, which then leads to the AHA moment that solves the case.

It writes itself!

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Super Waffle posted:

There was some talk circulating around last year about her being the perfect choice for a Columbo reboot; make her Columbo's daughter, have her swagger around in her dads old coat, have the occasional Kate Mulgrew cameo where she reminisces about her crazy detective ex-husband, which then leads to the AHA moment that solves the case.

It writes itself!

That's all well and good but it ignores the fact that Columbo lived alone in a studio apartment and his references to his wife/family are all just a ruse.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM

Super-NintendoUser posted:

That's all well and good but it ignores the fact that Columbo lived alone in a studio apartment and his references to his wife/family are all just a ruse.

Tell that to Kate Mulgrew :colbert:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mrs._Columbo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

naem
May 29, 2011

Yaldabaoth posted:

America really needs to stop making TV shows set in its largest cities unless the characters are all super rich.

it would be fun to see a sitcom montage of happy people in the big city but make it obvious they all have a lot of money and are lording over everyone, really dig the screws in on the viewer

just happy laughing people in brightly colored clothing walking past the homeless or working parents with three jobs