Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
One thing I liked about How I Met Your Mother is the cast are: Architect, TV News person, Lawyer and Lawyer? Or was Barney an investment banker? Pussy flute was a teacher but married to a lawyer.

In other words, they could all actually afford to live in Manhattan as relatively normal people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
His cop buddy was Buffalo Bill from Silence of the Lambs, his older brother (the Mycroft stand in) was Jesus from Big Lebowski. I liked the show ~

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

MonkHouses By Proxy

I appreciate this, you are valued.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Supreme Allah posted:

:tipshat:

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

quote:

After poor ratings and reception from both audiences and the original producers of Columbo, both the series and the eponymous character herself were renamed in an attempt to change direction, but this did not help ratings and the series was ultimately canceled in March 1980 after 13 episodes had aired.[3][4] Neither Peter Falk nor the character of Lieutenant Columbo ever appeared on the show; moreover, Falk never endorsed the show.

:hmmyes:

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Supreme Allah posted:

His cop buddy was Buffalo Bill from Silence of the Lambs, his older brother (the Mycroft stand in) was Jesus from Big Lebowski. I liked the show ~

Tim Curry was on the show.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
didn't read any of this thread, but, Monk is really fun and everyone should watch it

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

There were two egregious changes after season 1. The first is the more well-known theme song change.

The second is moving filming locations from Toronto. Was always great to see scenes with recurring Canadian actors playing guest parts, like Michael Hogan (aka. Colonel Tigh) playing a mayoral candidate in the pilot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qic0_-Ljr9w

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Waltzing Along posted:

Tim Curry was on the show.

He played Dale the Whale in exactly one episode. The dude shows up 3 times and each time a different actor plays him. Usually when there's a switch-out the "name" gets the first appearance and then when they decide to make the character recurring they get someone cheaper/ more available but I guess curry might just be a big fan of monk or always wanted to play a morbidly obese bedridden man. It seems like something he'd do he showed up in two direct-to-video scooby doo movies because hes a huge scooby doo fan but turned down the big budget hollywood movie because scrappy was going to be in it.

mojo1701a posted:

The second is moving filming locations from Toronto. Was always great to see scenes with recurring Canadian actors playing guest parts, like Michael Hogan (aka. Colonel Tigh) playing a mayoral candidate in the pilot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qic0_-Ljr9w

Psych filmed in B.C. and its weird as hell for it to be set in Santa Barbara and then every outdoor scene is super emerald green with overcast skies.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
One thing that was nice about Monk was the show had heart.

Also, IIRC, Shaloub won a bunch of Emmy's.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Waltzing Along posted:

One thing that was nice about Monk was the show had heart.

Also, IIRC, Shaloub won a bunch of Emmy's.

he’s a genuinely amazing actor. He killed it on Mrs Maisel and won a bunch of Emmy’s there too.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Yet no awards for Wings. Sigh.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

Waltzing Along posted:

Yet no awards for Wings. Sigh.

None for Galaxy Quest, either!

In the Galaxy Quest documentary, the director talks about how Fred Kwan was completely underwritten, which was why he wanted Shaloub to play the character, since he knew Shaloub could add comedic character to any role.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

corn haver posted:

i had ocd, and i offended people occasionally with stuff like rinsing out a cup i grabbed from their cupboard thoroughly before getting water, just out of habit

Most people don't wash their dishes very well so this is just common sense.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Toxic Mental posted:

I'm being told by many people saying that Monk isn't actually a monk, he's a private eye

You think the writers would know better

Look TV writers have like 20 minutes to write a 50 minute episode. They're pretty much just hired biased on how fast they can type. This goes back to the days when tv shows would film 364 episodes per year.

You can't blame them that they often don't know what show they writing for or who the characters are.
Honestly if they get it right at all that's usually just pure luck.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

You should watch Monk. It's a pretty good modern take on Sherlock Holmes that focuses on the almost completely alienated from society part of his character instead of the he and watson should totally kiss part.

Havent read past this in thread but they totally should

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

ZeusCannon posted:

Havent read past this in thread but they totally should

might I recommend any other modern sherlock holmes adaption.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
It's funny how for the entire run of the show they never mention OCD. They just say he's really picky about stuff.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
I started watching Inspector Lewis yesterday because I need a detective show to watch at all times. Better than I expected so far :hai:

Makes me curious if I should track down Inspector Morse, since I never watched that despite liking Endeavour

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

AARD VARKMAN posted:

I started watching Inspector Lewis yesterday because I need a detective show to watch at all times. Better than I expected so far :hai:

Makes me curious if I should track down Inspector Morse, since I never watched that despite liking Endeavour

the young guy in this

is now

another :corsair: moment for me

I haven't seen any Lewis, but Morse has some great episodes.

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
I like Cadfael, about the monk who solves medieval mysteries in cozy villages.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Rad-daddio posted:

It's funny how for the entire run of the show they never mention OCD. They just say he's really picky about stuff.

That was really normal in the 00s. They never said outright abed from community or Sheldon Cooper were on the spectrum either even though yeah they totally were. I think they just thought it’s be too uncomfortable for people if it seemed like they were making fun of people with disabilities instead of making fun of people with all the symptoms of disabilities.

Which is nuts because I thought abed was way more relatable and better representation than a lot of “serious” portrayals of people on the spectrum where it’s just a loving melodrama every goddamn episode

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

It was an OK show but Psych was much better.

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

It took me a while, but I'm watching Monk eps 1-2 right now. For some reason I didn't watch it at all back in the day. Checked it out due to this thread, and I'm enjoying. Cute premise, an OCD detective who uses his sense of what's out of place to find clues, while slowly driving the cops around him and his support network nuts. Will def. watch evey ep. (I, err, acquired them all) over the next few weeks. So thanks for the thread, OP!

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

BigBadSteve posted:

OCD detective

Please source where the show tells you this

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
I just wish he was actually a really bad investigator and every week was just him and all the other detectives getting completely stumped by the mystery and just giving up.

Why are there so few television detective shows like this!

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.
Did he ever solve his wife's murder? Maybe in the series finale?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

another thing: monk rents and in an early-ish episode he's forced to get a job for a magazine and his nurse is amazed at him being paid 40k a year. He should by all rights be homeless and yet he seems to experience no economic discomfort and has a personal assistant.

That was before the liberals got ahold of it

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

bossy lady posted:

I thought the subtext of the show was that a teenager was smarter than the detectives of the boston PD

Boston huh. Was marky mark her arch nemesis

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

You should watch Monk. It's a pretty good modern take on Sherlock Holmes that focuses on the almost completely alienated from society part of his character instead of the he and watson should totally kiss part.

I’ve known of Monk for twenty years, never watched it, and was never told it was a Sherlock Holmes type deal. I feel cheated.

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

mutantIke posted:

I've got a great-uncle or something who wrote for Monk while it was airing. He's now working on that soulless Law & Order reboot. As far as early 2000s "ND Savant Procedural" shows go, possibly the best? I was always more a Psych fan. Worst procedural is Scrubs. gently caress Scrubs.

Scrubs
Procedural

Nope

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

madmatt112 posted:

I’ve known of Monk for twenty years, never watched it, and was never told it was a Sherlock Holmes type deal. I feel cheated.

The two police characters are

Capt LEland STottlemeyer and Lt RAndy Disher

Lestrade, get it.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Outpost22 posted:

Did he ever solve his wife's murder? Maybe in the series finale?

Spoilered in case someone actually is still watching it for the first time.

Yes. Turns out it was Craig T. Nelson

I actually liked the finale. Monk finding out that he has a step-daughter was nice :unsmith:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Wow monk's wife is a smokeshow

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Milo and POTUS posted:

its jan from the office

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

The two police characters are

Capt LEland STottlemeyer and Lt RAndy Disher

Lestrade, get it.

This show is made by geniuses

naem
May 29, 2011

Milo and POTUS posted:

https://i.imgur.com/h2IbGOT.gifv

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

its jan from the office

I know what I said

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

AARD VARKMAN posted:

Are there even any American detective shows airing right now? The most recent I can think of is Castle which ended 6 years ago. Psych ended 8 years ago. Bosch was more recent but season long mysteries are a different beast entirely and not laundry folding compatible

Elementary was decent but lol Sherlock Holmes yet again

Anyone who likes lovely procedural investigative dramas ought to check out White Collar, from that same era. It's good for the same reason Leverage is good, which is that not every crime is a murder. That always kind of bothered me about CSI, like yeah we figured out the mystery but drat that dude is still dead

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Fur20 posted:

the reason Leverage is good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Fur20 posted:

Anyone who likes lovely procedural investigative dramas ought to check out White Collar, from that same era. It's good for the same reason Leverage is good, which is that not every crime is a murder. That always kind of bothered me about CSI, like yeah we figured out the mystery but drat that dude is still dead

White Collar is a very enjoyable show, especially when they started ham handing the product placement. It's so badly done I have to figure it was intentional.