Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

FizFashizzle posted:

Additionally, Cam did something similar last year against Arizona and the penalty was applied on the kickoff, but unclear if the coach was given a choice about that.

During the game the refs announced that Atlanta elected to enforce it on the extra point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

The penalty was meaningless if the kicker did his job. Making a 32 yarder to win the game is his job.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
^^--well it was a 47 yarder, but yeah that's makeable e: poo poo you're talking the Overtime FG attempt, nevermind. Yeah, that was bad.

fartknocker posted:

Randall Cunningham’s 95-yard TD pass against Buffalo (Where he ducked under Bruce Smith to avoid a safety) was from well in his own end zone and was caught over midfield, so that may be up there. There’s probably some cannon armed guys going back who had some crazy bombs.

I was going to guess it'd be a QB Eagles pass in a game where Buddy Ryan had him attempt 15 passes or something dumb while running the rest of the time because he needed to keep the defense fresh. Looking it up it wasn't that bad, he threw 25 passes against 30 rushes (7 of which were his, which probably mean scrambles).

But yeah that pass went a ways.

kazil posted:

It's very letter of the law and not spirit of the law.

I...disagree that it's not the spirit of the law and I hate to, but this is what the NFL wants. They, because they are idiots, do not want players taking their helmets off on the field to celebrate because they do not want players becoming their own brands. It's the dumbest poo poo ever from any angle as far as I can tell, but you're a name and a number and not a face if you're an NFL player. I have never heard of it in a celebration mode being a safety issue.

It did give us Dwayne Rudd giving the Browns one of their more painful losses in history, which is saying something. So the rule has that going for it.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Oct 31, 2022

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Grittybeard posted:

I...disagree that it's not the spirit of the law and I hate to, but this is what the NFL wants. They, because they are idiots, do not want players taking their helmets off on the field to celebrate because they do not want players becoming their own brands. It's the dumbest poo poo ever from any angle as far as I can tell, but you're a name and a number and not a face if you're an NFL player. I have never heard of it in a celebration mode being a safety issue.

It did give us Dwayne Rudd giving the Browns one of their more painful losses in history, which is saying something. So the rule has that going for it.

I would assume the rule is more about either player safety (so a guy without a helmet isn't in the middle of 21 other guys) or delay of game (throwing your helmet downfield in between plays)

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

FizFashizzle posted:

So obviously we’re never speaking of the panthers game again but PJs throw was maybe the longest in air completion ever.

https://twitter.com/sethwalder/status/1586815105756532738?s=46&t=FY4is8CbkJsrBK8v85ZpNg

Only goes back to 2016 but got me thinking of who would have been the top at this. Gotta be prime culpepper to moss, right?

Daunte was just firing artillery back then.

2nd clip here is thrown from the 12 and lands at the ~33 or so.

God, the one at 2:45 where he just throws it horizontally 40 drat yards over the middle to Moss.

The one at 4:55 he throws it from the 50 to the opposite hash's endzone. So that's probably the longest actually in air.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTuNjsvPe4c

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

And here's a 32 to the 10 From Cunningham

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZ7V3dW3cEY

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F72UTENnouk

This is still the most insane throw I've ever seen.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Kalli posted:

And here's a 32 to the 10 From Cunningham

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZ7V3dW3cEY

Dresses Up As a Viking dude with an impressive catch and lift on the celebration, too.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Kalli posted:

2nd clip here is thrown from the 12 and lands at the ~33 or so.

God, the one at 2:45 where he just throws it horizontally 40 drat yards over the middle to Moss.

The one at 4:55 he throws it from the 50 to the opposite hash's endzone. So that's probably the longest actually in air.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTuNjsvPe4c
The first play in that video is still one of my favorites I've ever seen.

edit: the fat man hurdle about 2 minutes in is :discourse:

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Better WR, Moss or Owens?

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
The longest pass I can remember Brady throwing is this cursed throw from SB42 that bounced off Moss' hands. From the 13 to the opposite 20.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUGj5qQFnnc

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Not NFL but Kordell Stewart is somewhere up there in memorable long throws.

From the 26 or 7 to about the 1 before it bounced into Westbook's hands?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Nt6HjqtJt8

I guess this might be a different category, because Hail Mary's are different than regular long as hell throws.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Oct 31, 2022

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

The longest pass I can remember Brady throwing is this cursed throw from SB42 that bounced off Moss' hands. From the 13 to the opposite 20.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUGj5qQFnnc

lol at brady being like ten yards short of where old moss could get to. that rookie moss throw from cunningham is so insane because its the epitome of the 'go and get it' that moss could do at will

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Moss

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
It's college football, I know, but that Falcons-Panthers ending reminded me heavily of the BYU-Washington ending from 2008. TFF Favorite Jake Locker led a game-tying drive against the #15 ranked BYU that he capped with a last second QB draw. To celebrate, he threw the ball up in the air, and officials called an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty. The extra point to tie the game was then missed and the Huskies would go on to lose every game that year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ap6Kn0dkbyY

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Moss, c'mon. Owens was great but he wasn't unequivocally the best of his era. Moss could be the most dominant receiver ever, certainly enough to be in the conversation

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Off the field stuff aside I feel like Tyreek is starting to make a case for top 10 all time WR maybe even higher

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Cognac McCarthy posted:

Moss, c'mon. Owens was great but he wasn't unequivocally the best of his era. Moss could be the most dominant receiver ever, certainly enough to be in the conversation
He's no Jerry Rice because Jerry was just bananas but after him yeah Randy is top dawg.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Pron on VHS posted:

Off the field stuff aside I feel like Tyreek is starting to make a case for top 10 all time WR maybe even higher

I actually cannot believe how good he is.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Pron on VHS posted:

is tyreek even better than steve smith sr was? tyreek is a lot like moss in my mind of how does he just not take over games nonstop but tyreek just...doesn't.

im probably jaded on this due to the Steve Smith Game in the playoffs but still. tyreek scores more but smith, in his limited career playoff games (he has one fewer game than hill already has had) was much better

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Oct 31, 2022

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

mastershakeman posted:

is tyreek even better than steve smith sr was? tyreek is a lot like moss in my mind of how does he just not take over games nonstop but tyreek just...doesn't.

Give Steve Patrick Mahomes.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Randy is odd because he was completely and utterly dominant but didn't have the longevity of the other big names on the WR list. He's got near the same production as a bunch of other lower tier all time greats but it's obvious that stats don't matter in his case. Same could also be said about Michael Irvin who was just blatantly better than everyone else for years but started slow and had a lovely QB his entire career (Aikman sucks). I'd say:

Tier 1 -
Jerry Rice
Randy Moss

Tier 2 -
Larry Fitzgerald
Terrell Owens
Michael Irvin

Tier 3 -
Julio Jones
Cris Carter
Calvin Johnson
Marvin Harrison
Isaac Bruce

Tier 4 -
Tim Brown
Anquan Boldin
Andre Johnson
Reggie Wayne
Andre Reed

The problem with modern day WRs is that they haven't completed their careers yet. Mike Evans has a few more years to add to his totals but he's already one of the best and unique WRs to ever play the game. If Reek can double his career he's one of the best of all time. Stefon Diggs also has a claim to jump up if he continues his trajectory.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

all I know is Tyreek put up 180 yards with Bridgewater at qb lol

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Tyreek is like AB in his abilities but has better athletic attributes which is crazy. Even being short is fine because he can jump like 3 feet in the air off one leg

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Pron on VHS posted:

Tyreek is like AB in his abilities but has better athletic attributes which is crazy. Even being short is fine because he can jump like 3 feet in the air off one leg

He has high pointed a couple of 50/50 balls this year and it blows my mind.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
If only he didn't break a toddler's arm

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Pron on VHS posted:

I wonder where AB himself would have finished if the whole traumatic brain injury thing hadn't caught up with him. He was on an insane pace with the Steelers.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

a neat cape posted:

If only he didn't break a toddler's arm

Which he likely didn't. He just abused him awfully in other ways.

And choked his mom while she was pregnant. And some other stuff. I mean you know, his abuse only goes so far. (god I'm glad I don't have to go through listening to Chiefs fans about this anymore)

The guy can certainly play football pretty good though for sure.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Grittybeard posted:

Which he likely didn't. He just abused him awfully in other ways.

And choked his mom while she was pregnant. And some other stuff. I mean you know, his abuse only goes so far. (god I'm glad I don't have to go through listening to Chiefs fans about this anymore)

The guy can certainly play football pretty good though for sure.

Sorry I get my domestic abusers confused. Was it Peterson who broke a kids arm? So many of them

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Here's Baker throwing it 70 yards through the end zone.
https://twitter.com/PFF/status/1338876737787211782

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont
Peterson whipped his kid bloody with the switch, Tyreek may have broke his kids arm but it was later found to be accidental or something

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Diva Cupcake posted:

Here's Baker throwing it 70 yards through the end zone.
https://twitter.com/PFF/status/1338876737787211782

Imagine if he learned how to read a defense in the NFL or didn't get 5 balls batted down a game, what a waste.

I also somewhat blame injuries but still

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

a neat cape posted:

Sorry I get my domestic abusers confused. Was it Peterson who broke a kids arm? So many of them

His kid had a broken arm, but the way the break was it was likely just because he fell down instead of, you know being wrestled around by it or whatever. This was a whole very annoying topic of conversation for a long time.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
It did come out that Tyreek made his little kid hold his arms out like a T and he would punch him in the chest as a form of punishment, he’s a real piece of poo poo

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Pron on VHS posted:

he’s a real piece of poo poo

I did not mean to imply otherwise to be clear. There's enough fire there already before you get to the smoke (assuming it's smoke).

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.
I found it hard to root for him after reading…*checks notes*…that he punched his pregnant wife in the stomach in addition to choking her.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

for the record I hate it as well.

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
maybe domestic violence makes you good at football

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

whatis posted:

maybe domestic violence makes you good at football

Roethlisberger did not take no for an answer and won two super Bowls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Ort posted:

I found it hard to root for him after reading…*checks notes*…that he punched his pregnant wife in the stomach in addition to choking her.

But I wanna know his side of the story!