Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

isnt he on dialysis?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

bows1 posted:

Interesting story about this new collar that some NFL players are wearing to help against concussions

https://www.actionnetwork.com/ncaaf/q-collar-medical-device-limit-concussions-college-football-nfl

Love to increase intracranial blood volume and pressure in a sport featuring violent blows to the head.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

No, the theory is that by having a tiny bit more blood surrounding your brain you can prevent concussions. It's accomplishing this by slowing the return flow of blood from the brain back to the heart - which doesn't sound like a great thing for an athlete, but what do I know.

At rest, about 70% of the blood in the human body is stored in the venous circulation. When we run/jump/lift weights/post really hard, muscle contraction squeezes the veins and forces more blood into the arterial system. more/harder/longer we exercise/post, more blood get to the contracting muscles, which pump more blood in from the venous system, etc. When we rest, that ratio restores itself gradually. Ever run a 400m sprint, or post furiously through a series finale? Know how you laid on the ground, sweaty, fingers tingling, unable to move for a second? That's the ratio returning.

The decreased blood flow from the brain won't do anything as far as the rest of the body. In the event of a cerebral hemorrhage, increased pressure in the brain would be not great.

This is snake oil. It's the same as Dan Morgan wearing a special mouth piece and sleeping in a hyperbaric chamber.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

wandler20 posted:

This is the same injury that ruined Cadillac Williams career. Of course he did it twice, one in each knee.

https://twitter.com/BridgetCondon_/status/1585329629442674688?s=20&t=8CJjhHCjQgKJ55jhpqdG0g

Best seats I ever had for a Panthers game were about 4 rows back, on the Panthers sideline, on a straight line in front of where that injury happened on the sideline.

Saw it, heard it, could almost FEEL it.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Big ol panthers QB fail writeup from Jeremy Fowler. It's paywalled, but I figured you'd guys appreciate the Darnold process.

quote:

Weeks after that evaluation session, Rhule sent a group text to his coaches indicating the team was about to trade for Darnold and requesting to keep the intel private. The idea to trade for Darnold had begun with Rhule, who a front-office source said popped into Fitterer's office after a defensive staff meeting to ask what the GM thought of the possibility.

Fitterer scouted Darnold while with the Seahawks and was intrigued by the former USC star's arm and escapability. The Panthers thought a change in scenery could help Darnold, a chance to pair with Joe Brady aiding Darnold's growth.

People inside the building had different interpretations for how Rhule, who did not respond to multiple requests to be interviewed for this story, handled personnel decisions.

One team source said Rhule preferred to reach consensus with Fitterer before taking a plan to Tepper, describing the process as "collaborative." That differs from another team source, who said Rhule's leadership style was to "wear everybody out" until he got his way, even in big groups, and sometimes operated impulsively. In this case, Rhule was willing to overlook Darnold's well-documented problems with turnovers and accuracy.

"It was Darnold, Darnold, Darnold [for Rhule] that offseason," a front-office source said.

The Panthers agreed to send a sixth-round pick in 2021 and second- and fourth-rounders in 2022 to the Jets in exchange for Darnold, staking their near-term future to a player who had recorded a 13-25 record with the Jets and had yet to produce a 20-touchdown season. Carolina then doubled down on the decision, picking up his fifth-year option and guaranteeing him $18.8 million before he had taken a snap as a Panther.

Fitterer's logic on the option, per a front-office source, was this: The two-year payout would be reasonable, considering Darnold's $4.7 million due in 2021, and he'd be much more expensive if he lit up the field that season. Tepper, per a team source, questioned placing that value on Darnold so early in his relationship with the team but "reluctantly" approved, a source with direct knowledge of the negotiations said.

"It went from a decent setup to WTF," said a team source of the offense's descent. As the losses mounted, Tepper's blood boiled, with one front-office source describing him as "furious" over the way Darnold's fifth-year option hung over the franchise. (A source close to the owner said the "furious" characterization was too strong).

Tepper had a predilection for tracking social media mentions and media reports on his team, multiple sources said. One front-office source described his approach as "stream of consciousness," unafraid to vent to confidants about his frustrations with the team -- including quarterback play.

Even before Darnold's injury, one former member of Rhule's staff noted how the organization's support of the quarterback grew increasingly tepid, and reports about a possible quarterback change were not firmly dismissed.

"A quarterback has to feel like he's the most important guy in the building, and I don't think those guys ever felt that way," said the staff member of the benched quarterbacks. "They [Rhule and the Panthers] were always looking for something better. Zero patience." (methinks the agent doth protest too much)

I haven't finished the whole thing but my takeaway is

1. Rhule really wanted Darnold and overpowered everyone else. This tracks with other stories about how Rhule loved Darnold when he spoke to him over the phone when going through the hiring process with the Jets.

2. Fitterer extended him assuming the best case scenario; that he wasn't Jets Darnold (he was)

3. Not clear on the compensation. Wouldn't be surprised if it was Rhule screaming "LEGALIZE DARNOLD, DUDE" and slamming the phone.

4. Rhule and everyone else immediately started looking for the next QB, which A.) is understandable but B.) Rhule was absolutely poo poo with roster management.

5. Oh my god Tepper is on twitter

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Hot Diggity! posted:

It rocks that this guy has the ear of virtually everyone in the leauge.

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1585507810263154688

He's also dumb as poo poo.

Other way around. Schefter is doing Brady PR.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

kiimo posted:

Crossposting from the fantasy thread like twenty minutes before the news dropped in case anyone didn't see it:

A whole lot of people just got fired.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

syzpid posted:

I mean almost the whole bottom half of the league right now would be in the playoffs if they added Payton and Carr or Dak.

bing bong, so simple

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Lmao getting dunked on by an opera singer

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

kiimo posted:

Watch him win another one

game?

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

quote:

Russell Wilson (hamstring) will start in Week 8 against the Jaguars.

Broncos head coach Nathaniel Hackett confirmed Wilson will return to the lineup after missing Week 7 with a hamstring injury he picked up in Week 6. Wilson's in-flight workout routine on the way to London this week seems to have paid dividends. Wilson has been uncharacteristically inaccurate throughout 2022; only five quarterbacks have a lower completion rate over expected. He's consistently thrown downfield this year, leading all QBs in attempts of over 20 yards despite missing one game. Only Josh Allen has more deep ball completions and yardage than Wilson. That should keep Courtland Sutton in the high-end WR2 conversation. Jerry Jeudy, who leads the Broncos in air yards and targets over the past three games, isn't far behind.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Baker apparently pissed off Carolina's Atlantic beat writer

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Diva Cupcake posted:

If the Panthers win this weekend they drop like 16 spots in the draft.

I've resigned myself to the panthers trading 2-3 firsts to grab a QB this year.

Not gonna argue with a win against the Falcons on my birthday (have to work those :emo: )

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Carolina needs a burner for PJ to unleash the dragon.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

So obviously we’re never speaking of the panthers game again but PJs throw was maybe the longest in air completion ever.

https://twitter.com/sethwalder/status/1586815105756532738?s=46&t=FY4is8CbkJsrBK8v85ZpNg

Only goes back to 2016 but got me thinking of who would have been the top at this. Gotta be prime culpepper to moss, right?

Daunte was just firing artillery back then.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

davecrazy posted:

If not for a moron WR who made a great play and then hosed the extra point by ripping his helmet off for no reason.

Basically everyone after the game who looked at the rules said that should not have been a penalty. I have a hard time being angry at DJ Moore considering everything he's done and been through since he's been in Carolina. Absolute chickenshit penalty.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

fsif posted:

Definitely agree but I don't know how you explain it to Arthur Smith then.

"don't give up a 70 yard TD pass from PJ Walker."

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I would have sworn that taking your penalty off in the field of play it is a helmet automatically unless the helmet is knocked off in the process of the play?

Tony Dungy/Terry McCauley both said per the rules, it only counts if the player is in the field of play. DJ Moore was not, and he did not go back on to it, and it was not during the play.

Additionally, Cam did something similar last year against Arizona and the penalty was applied on the kickoff, but unclear if the coach was given a choice about that.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

mastershakeman posted:

is tyreek even better than steve smith sr was? tyreek is a lot like moss in my mind of how does he just not take over games nonstop but tyreek just...doesn't.

Give Steve Patrick Mahomes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

AJ Klein going to Chicago in the trade.