Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
If you take any 3 shot sequence of this show out of context it is sublimely absurd. Like this bit:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004

Supersonic Shine posted:

"I have never killed anyone." - Nagomi after blowing up Nagi's car with a .38

Oh God it's going to be the panda isn't it

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Zeruel posted:

Which way is it gonna be, Nagomi?

Nagomi, sitting in a bar ramen restaurant, singing Baka Mitai

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.

Tamba posted:

Nagomi, sitting in a bar ramen restaurant, singing Baka Mitai

I know they had the sisterhood thing with ramen but it's really only just clicked for me that it's a ramen shop instead of a bar

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

wow watching these last two episodes back to back has ruined my night

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

The Manager continues to be the absolute worst in a hilarious way.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Need more murder

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

symbolic posted:

wow watching these last two episodes back to back has ruined my night

thinking bout these eps again, and then thinking about the stupid idiots who somehow made themselves believe the quality's been all downhill after ep 1

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

It's PA Works, those guys are solid, I don't know what the hell people are thinking. I cried after last episode, but then I'm seriously depressed, I sometimes cry after a good breakfast sandwich.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
if you were hoping for a primary comedy I could see liking the first ep way more than the rest

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

PA Works last original series before Aikba was Aquatrope which was....not good. PA works as a whole has decent amount of whiff along with their hits

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

this one's a cygames invention anyway, pa works is just animating

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Does that mean there's going to be an Akiba Maid Wars mobile game?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Kwyndig posted:

that was an inevitability as soon as it was popular, i think

possibly even if it wasn't

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

SatoshiMiwa posted:

PA Works last original series before Aikba was Aquatrope which was....not good. PA works as a whole has decent amount of whiff along with their hits

Ugh, the second half of Aquatrope.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Kwyndig posted:

not necessarily, they didn't do one for zombieland saga

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Tales of Woe posted:

not necessarily, they didn't do one for zombieland saga

Zombieland Saga would have been a poor fit since there aren't a lot of characters to serve as grist for the Common/Rare mill, you'd have to do it like that Marvel Snap! and since that came out like two months ago it's a poor fit to say they should have invented a mobile game style nobody had heard of yet.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

cheetah7071 posted:

if you were hoping for a primary comedy I could see liking the first ep way more than the rest

this is the only reason i can fathom since I haven't heard those people explain why they dipped, just that they dipped, and it's a really stupid reason. if u want black comedy mixed with violence there's already the kickass CSM adaptation. getting filtered by a show that's 90/10 in favor of the drama half of dramedy, in a season w/ quite a few great SoL/comedies to balance it out...smh

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004

SatoshiMiwa posted:

PA Works last original series before Aikba was Aquatrope which was....not good.

How dare you bring bad takes into this wholesome thread

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Kwyndig posted:

Zombieland Saga would have been a poor fit since there aren't a lot of characters to serve as grist for the Common/Rare mill, you'd have to do it like that Marvel Snap! and since that came out like two months ago it's a poor fit to say they should have invented a mobile game style nobody had heard of yet.

Theres literally idol based mobage games, the small roster thing is never a problem when someone wants to make a game

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

You can do a small roster idol game just by doing alternate versions of the characters and ZLS probably could go wild with that if they wanted to

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
AAAAAAHHH NO

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
I never knew the Rage of Bahamut guys were behind Zombieland Saga. What a weird collection of hits.

Exia
Feb 12, 2014
Trailer for the final ep
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJb8EZML3qg

Potassium Problems
Sep 28, 2001

gently caress

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

cygames just has shitloads of money and uses it to fund cool original projects it seems like. it owns

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

i can't believe the goofy show about maids with guns is gonna make me cry

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

gently caress I can't watch that I need to go in as blind as possible

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

trying to settle a debate with one of the friends im watching the show with. overall is it more of a comedy with dramatic elements, or drama with comedic elements?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Depends entirely on the episode tbh. Last two, especially the hitman one, were pretty much pure drama

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

symbolic posted:

trying to settle a debate with one of the friends im watching the show with. overall is it more of a comedy with dramatic elements, or drama with comedic elements?

The maid cafe thing gives it an absurd veneer but it's a more serious yakuza drama really. Admittedly it's got Yakuza series side quest energy sometimes. If you went in expecting and I guess demanding just wacky hijinks with hyper violence because of the maid outfits I think you'd be annoyed

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

symbolic posted:

I feel like it's just a drama with an absurd premise. It's funny because the setting is funny, but it doesn't have to tell jokes per se. It just plays its drama completely straight and you laugh anyways because the maid with the gun says oink

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

it's got jokes what are you on about

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Also stuff like the Elevator.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

it's a comedy to me. when i think of 'drama' as a main descriptor i think of like Rakugo Shinju or March Comes in Like a Lion or Euphonium or whatever. this show's just a silly deadpan genre exercise, even the serious bits are constantly comedically undercut by the premise

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

GloomMouse posted:

The maid cafe thing gives it an absurd veneer but it's a more serious yakuza drama really. Admittedly it's got Yakuza series side quest energy sometimes. If you went in expecting and I guess demanding just wacky hijinks with hyper violence because of the maid outfits I think you'd be annoyed

this has pretty much been my argument. while some episodes veer heavily one way or the another, the pastiche seems to me played mostly serious with the occasional deadpan humorous bit here and there, especially in the back half of this series (save for baseball at Bernie's)

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
I definitely find myself laughing most at this show when it's taking itself completely seriously and just letting the absurdity of the premise be the joke. It's a far better written show than it has any right to be. Serious kudos to the folks behind it.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

The creators have real love for the genre because it's all classic tropes but done in such a ridiculous way that it's played perfectly for what it is.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004

Talorat posted:

I definitely find myself laughing most at this show when it's taking itself completely seriously and just letting the absurdity of the premise be the joke. It's a far better written show than it has any right to be. Serious kudos to the folks behind it.

I gave away any possibility of happiness when I became a maid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Jesus gently caress that final episode :lmao: