Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer
What's the best or worst piece of hardware you've purchased? Or the best or worst purchase of hardware you've made?
Was it something super useful or a really good deal or super high quality? Or the opposite of all that?

I bought a QGeeM HDMI capture card about a year ago, and it's just worked wonderfully. I expected it to be way more expensive than it was, but it was pretty reasonably priced and has never given me any problems except the one time it got super hot on a super hot day during a long recording session, but turning on a fan fixed that.

The worst hardware purchase I've made wasn't the hardware's fault at all, but mine. When I first moved to Europe years ago, I brought my XBox 360 with me. I tried to plug it in main and the power bank exploded.
Not wanting to make the same mistake with my PS3, I look at the label on the PSU, and it says "120V". So I bought a voltage adapter. Like $120 or something. Then something (I think the manual) mentions frequency. I end up doing more digging and learn that almost all PS3s are universal, i.e. it will just work with 240V. Indeed, the voltage adapter might damage it because of the different frequency. I plugged it straight into main, and it's been working fine for a year now. So now I have this big ol' piece of machinery for nothing.

Shadow0 fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Oct 26, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Worst: the Surface Pro 2

That fucker had, literally, the worst keyboard I've ever used in my life. A plague to whomever designed it.

Best: Google Nexus 7 (2013). I still use that thing for reading.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

worst: my apple watch series 4

the first time i ever used the name "bad purchase" for anything was when i set the name of that watch in 2018.

the story: i had bought it after a minor heart health scare and wanted to have the ECG feature because i had a few episodes where i was getting skipped/fluttery beats for 10+ minutes at a time and was hoping it would help shed light on what was going on. thing cost $400 and ended up being useless. i have a low resting heart rate, so most of the time i took an ECG it would tell me "your heart rate is too low, bro, can't help ya". my doctor referred me to a cardiologist when i mentioned the issues i was having. i showed the cardiologist some of the ECGs i had captured with the watch during episodes, and he basically said: oh that's neat, but not enough detail to diagnose anything, we really need a multi-lead capture and ideally you should wear a constant monitor for at least 24 hours. (if you're curious, i did end up wearing a monitor and getting an echocardiogram, and at the end the cardiologist said "yep, you're having pcaps, nothing we can do, that will be $200 please")

about 6 months later it slid off my nightstand table while charging, fell about 2.5 feet onto the floor, and the screen shattered. i didn't bother replacing it since the ECG feature had turned out to be a useless gimmick, and the rest of the health data wasn't particularly useful to me either. the thing definitely lived up to the name i gave it, which i eventually recycled when i decided to buy a new account here instead of reviving and renaming my old one from the 2000s (which i had given away to a friend who had done a name change at some point).

funnily enough i bought an apple watch again this year, but for an entirely different reason -- i got one with a cellular modem so i could leave my phone at home when i go running, and it's actually been good for that one specific use case.

best: SNES or N64 probably?

i'm not sure, probably could apply to most of the nintendo consoles i've owned. i got so much mileage out of my SNES, N64, Gamecube, 3DS, and Switch over the years. not quite so much with the Wii and Wii U.

another item deserving honorable mention is the iphone 8+ i used for ~4 years. my iphone is by far my most used gadget and that thing worked flawlessly for years. can't think of a single complaint, and eventually i got a huge trade in credit for it during the iphone 13 release promos.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer
Another best/worst purchase was my TI-83+ calculator. It came with a manual for its programming language, TI BASIC. I ended up discovering my love of programming from it, and it ruined my entire life.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
The best hardware purchase I ever made would have to be the 2500k I bought that's STILL seeing use. Probably not worth it for efficiency reasons at this point and I'll remedy that soon, but over 10 years of use is kind of insane for a processor in the modern world.

Worst is my Pixel 6. I loving hate this phone, it's definitely the most expensive thing I've ever bought that I just want to destroy. Front fingerprint sensors are inherently bad and this one is extra bad, it's a battery hog despite having a huge battery because Google's Tensor CPU is actual trash, the camera is a huge downgrade from the old Pixel camera, and really none of the new features work right. If someone comes out with a decent current phone with a rear fingerprint sensor and the performance and features I need, I will make a video of myself smashing it to bits and pissing on it, because that's what it deserves. I hope every person who worked on this piece of poo poo platform feels a deep sense of shame for the rest of their lives.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I kinda want to give a combined best/worst award to my VR headset.

It's not technically the best hardware I've ever bought, but things like finding a really well designed VR game like Half Life Alyx or using a flight sim where I can just freely look around in 3D space, just feel like such a revolutionary leap forward in inhabiting a game world. It's just fundamentally different than anything I've ever done before.

On the flip side, my gear is kind of an annoying piece of poo poo because I went cheaper and got a Windows Mixed Reality headset. The design is farmed out to other manufacturers and Microsoft basically gives it the bare minimum of technical support to keep it running. It won't successfully run twice in a row without rebooting my PC, and various system updates break its functionality even to the point of once needing a full Windows system restore to get it working again. And when it does work, it has to load its own dedicated Microsoft-centric software environment to run programs in. So if you like to use Steam games, you have to load that environment, load a virtual Steam interface from inside there, and then load the actual Steam VR interface from there just to get to the game

When everything hits just right, it's legitimately incredible, but everything about using it in practice feels like it's holding together with duct tape and prayers. Between that and the relatively small amount of really high tier VR software out there, it just sits there unused a lot more than it should.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Best hardware: the original TiVo. Back when a DVR was a newfangled thing, it just worked, flawlessly and forever. Great UI, the remote always worked, it was responsive, it was intuitive, even the audio feedback from button presses etc. was fun and good and didn't get annoying.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Best was for sure my Samsung Galaxy Tab. Smooth, flawless, great battery life, and it's been a lifesaver for online classes and taking notes. It's a beautiful beast and has lasted longer then any smart phone.

Worst is without a doubt my Jabra headset. Bluetooth is spotty and weak, and it's audio drivers regularly crash. It doesn't like to charge on my computer usb so I need to wallplug it regularly.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
Best: 2500k, SNES, VG248QE, Surface Duo, Ducky Shine 3 are all good honorable mentions, but I think in terms of sheer milage and enjoyment, I have to give it up for the Playstation 2.

Worst: I'm tempted to put Iphone 5 here, but I think it's the runner up to Beats by Dre headphones. I didn't understand how to evaluate headphones, and thought that a price tag matched quality. Holy poo poo was that a rude awakening. This was the catalyst for me to actually start to understand the product space I guess though, so silver lining and all.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Best: Thermalright Ultra Extreme tower cooler.
In 2009 I got it for $63 without fans and I'm still using it.
I don't know if it's technically enough for a high end CPU these days but it's got 6 heat pipes and fits two 120mm fans in push/pull, so it's still fairly decent.

Worst: Xbox Wireless Headset
On paper this looked good. Supports BT or Dongle, USB-C, boom mic with device mute, and a reasonably cool volume knob system.
I do use it and it does work, so it's not utter garbage. I'm just disappointed in it.
The sidetone/mic monitoring is so low as to be useless, even if you plug it in with a cable to configure it to "high".
It's cheap bluetooth implementation that relies on handfree profile.
If you use the dongle, you get interference from USB3 devices. (No interference in BT mode, thank gently caress.)
The volume knob is a bit dumb. Despite being an analog knob there's discrete steps. The volume is also fairly low such that you'll only every use max or max-1 settings.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I'm pretty anal about researching big purchases to the point of making huge spreadsheets of cots/benefits and so on, so I'm generally very happy with stuff I end up buying.

Best:
The Q6600 PC I built that lasted me until I got a off-lease i5-2500 ThinkCenter from work for $100
The Zotac 1070 I got for like $400 in Hong Kong at the height of the previous buttcoin boom, could've sold at a profit a few months ago
The Ivy Bridge 3470 Optiplex I got later for like $150 to get USB3 for VR, still my main desktop PC
Cube Mix Plus 2-in-1. Paid like $250 for a Core m3 tablet that was awesome for vacations. Wacom digitizer. Niiice.

Worst
Not terrible more disappointing really.
Jabra headset that work paid for, expensive, bulky sealed design, no wireless, ANC isn't good enough to defeat fan noise from the GPU
Chuwi Minibook X: I know what I was getting into with another $300 laptop with and 28Wh battery. Reviewers kind of dropped the ball though, it draws twice as much power at idle as the Cube, and the stylus while precise with great pressure sensitivity, is utterly incapable of making smooth diagonal lines or small circles. It's fine for a disposable laptop to take on trips but disappointing because it could've easily been so much better.

cambrian obelus
Sep 14, 2010

I've never seen a French woman before!
Soiled Meat
I'm revealing my age here with my choices but:

Best: An RCA out to VGA in breakout box, its actual name has been lost to time. It allowed me to connect my Playstation to my monitor. This turned my 17" CRT from yet another computer to the hotspot for Tekken 3 tournaments and NBA Live 99 matches in my dorm in highschool. Cost me ~$80 late 90's dollars to get, but the cred I got from my fellow classmates for the videogame tournaments I arranged were priceless.

Worst: 3dfx Voodoo Tv tuner. It almost worked on my windows 98 pc. Better drivers were promised, but NVIDIA bought the assets of 3dfx like two months after launch. got rid of the card soon after that. what a waste.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

K8.0 posted:

The best hardware purchase I ever made would have to be the 2500k I bought that's STILL seeing use. Probably not worth it for efficiency reasons at this point and I'll remedy that soon, but over 10 years of use is kind of insane for a processor in the modern world.
Same. My main PC at home is still the one I built 10 years ago with a 2500k. It runs everything I need just fine.

Also best: One of those $15 HDMI capture cards. These are miracle devices that appeared all of a sudden a couple years ago. You expect them to be the chinese EZCap equivalent, but they Just Work perfectly and somehow only use USB 2.0.

Worst: My WiiU that I bought when Nintendo was selling refurbs for $200. Almost never played it.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

cambrian obelus posted:

Best: An RCA out to VGA in breakout box, its actual name has been lost to time. It allowed me to connect my Playstation to my monitor. This turned my 17" CRT from yet another computer to the hotspot for Tekken 3 tournaments and NBA Live 99 matches in my dorm in highschool. Cost me ~$80 late 90's dollars to get, but the cred I got from my fellow classmates for the videogame tournaments I arranged were priceless.

Good memories unlocked.

I bought a "VGA box" from Lik-Sang in university for a common room that didn't have a TV and used it for probably thousands of hours for Melee.
The power supply was incredibly fragile with a giant plug converter to adapt it to an Australia powerboard.
Still got it in my AV box of junk.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Best: GP2X in 2006/2007ish. Handheld gaming console for emulator/homebrew games. I played so much sid Meier's pirates for SNES, dune 2 for genesis and Gameboy games, it was the best! I wonder what happened to it hmm. It's special because it pre Kickstarter, so it actually came out and was good.

Worst: smartphone. I hate.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Shadow0 posted:

Another best/worst purchase was my TI-83+ calculator. It came with a manual for its programming language, TI BASIC. I ended up discovering my love of programming from it, and it ruined my entire life.

yep, my TI83 is also what got me interested in programming. i wrote all sorts of stuff to solve my math and physics problems for me in high school, and even dabbled in making games -- though mostly text based. i never got into the assembly stuff where you could really unlock the power of that z80.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.
Worst hardware: hands down, Motorola Cliq XT, a horrifically broken Android 1.5 phone. It’s been a decade and I still get angry thinking about it - every sin of early Android was concentrated into a single, purulent technological mistake. Non-removable apps, flaky, garbage alternative UI, and an update to Android 2.x that was delayed for around a year before being cancelled the day it was supposed to land. Getting an email the next day exhorting me to buy the Cliq 2 was one of the more brazen gently caress you’s I’ve ever been handed. My wife’s was so broken she could barely place phone calls, and my local phone resaler wouldn’t even take mine away for free.

Best hardware: Several contenders, but off the top of my head, I will also second our Nintendo Switch; my wife’s 2012 MacBook Pro is still startlingly usable; and I have a Chenbro SR20503 midtower ATX case that’s built like a tank and has been home to several stable builds without issue or complaint.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Hasturtium posted:

Worst hardware: hands down, Motorola Cliq XT, a horrifically broken Android 1.5 phone. It’s been a decade and I still get angry thinking about it - every sin of early Android was concentrated into a single, purulent technological mistake. Non-removable apps, flaky, garbage alternative UI, and an update to Android 2.x that was delayed for around a year before being cancelled the day it was supposed to land. Getting an email the next day exhorting me to buy the Cliq 2 was one of the more brazen gently caress you’s I’ve ever been handed. My wife’s was so broken she could barely place phone calls, and my local phone resaler wouldn’t even take mine away for free.

That puts me in mind of My First Smartphone. I was late to the game, but my folks finally convinced me to sign up with one of those smaller alternate providers, and the only phone they had at the time was Motorola Defyi XTs on some flavor of Android 2.

On the one hand, great, that was my first time using a full touchscreen device, so that was neat. On the other hand, everything else. Pretty much the same deal - garbage implementation of a cheap phone, bloated with little free storage space, laggy and crashy as hell. It was equally amazing when I finally got a usable smartphone after it. I guess the biggest thing in its favor was that it somehow used gorilla glass or something, so you could probably punt that thing through a window without getting the slightest scratch on it.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
Worst I can remember was an 80mm Vantec Tornado fan I got in like 2005. I thought "this thing will improve cooling so much!" It was twice the thickness of a normal fan and sounded like a hair dryer. Absolutely unusable outside of a server room.

Best (other than the 2500K) might be the CT-479 socket adapter and Pentium M combo which I got in 2006, I'm pretty sure from SA-Mart. The adapter allowed you to stick a Pentium M in a few ASUS Socket 478 P4 boards and came with an aluminum ~70mm cooler which was pretty dinky in retrospect but way better than most laptops. Adding to that the overclocking options of a flagship desktop motherboard and dual-channel desktop DIMMs, you could get some really ridiculous performance.

Anand reviewed one and at 2.56GHz got comparable performance in games to a $1000 Athlon 64 FX. I think I got a similar overclock and might have paid $200 for the adapter and processor combined. I used that combo until I replaced it with an i7-920, which was itself a great purchase and a hell of a jump from a single core.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Oct 29, 2022

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Eletriarnation posted:

Worst I can remember was an 80mm Vantec Tornado fan I got in like 2005. I thought "this thing will improve cooling so much!" It was twice the thickness of a normal fan and sounded like a hair dryer. Absolutely unusable outside of a server room.

Was having trouble thinking of my worst tech purchase but yeah it was definitely this, for some reason I didn't immediately uninstall it and just had a hairdryer in the background for a couple years.

coldpudding
May 14, 2009

FORUM GHOST
Best hardware was an 80s model m keyboard I got for 50 cents at a thrift store 10 years ago.

Worst was an amd fx 8350 I got for a very steep discount, it ran fine but no amount of cooling was adequate for that thing, it was like sitting next to a toaster oven while under any sort of load🔥🔥🔥, I was quite happy to ditch it for a cool running fist gen ryzen 5.

I think it's crazy that amd is making their latest chips run at 95 celsius by default they might as well spec a water boiler to attach to them the way they are going.

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

Bests
  • Commodore 64 -- It's what got me into computing, and it was also a fantastic machine for gaming
  • Moto Razr v3 -- Not my first cell phone, but the first one that let friends send me nudes from anywhere, at anytime. Life changing technology of the highest order
  • iMac (2008) -- Easily the longest-serving machine I've had as an adult. I coded, browsed, and gamed on it until 2015 when I finally pivoted back toward DIY. Trouble-free the whole time (though a bit long in the tooth by the time I said goodbye)
  • GTX 750 Ti -- Not the most powerful GPU I've ever had, but the one that I honestly feel has been the best. I think I picked it up in late 2015 for about $90. I've used it as a gaming GPU, as a daily driver for a desktop, and as a spare card for use in diagnosing headless machines. But since 2021 it's been back in service crunching for Folding@Home. It will finally be retired (provisionally) this Tuesday, when I replace all the GPUs in my crunchboxes with a single RTX 3060 Ti.
  • PS4/PS5 -- I've played console and PC games my entire life, but I drifted away from consoles in a major way after the PS2 and ended up skipping the entire Wii (U) / PS3 / Xbox 360 generation. A friend finally pulled me back in with Destiny in 2016, after the PS4 slim dropped, and I was immediately back in love. With so many games to catch up on -- and with video games being my preferred form of self-medication for stress and anxiety -- the Playstation has been a companion par excellence for the past six years. The fact that it's also a very competent set-top box means that the whole household was leaning on it through the pandemic for entertainment. My recent discovery of the remote play app (how did it take me so long?!) has done nothing to lessen my fondness.

Worsts
  • A Series of Midrange Laptops, circa 1999 to 2006 -- I kept trying to run Linux on cheap laptops (Toshiba Satellite, et. al) during a period when doing so meant endless compromises and hassles. I feel like the blame here is half on the laptop manufacturers, half on Linux, and all on me. After this I switched to Macbooks (years behind my ex, who had long enjoyed her PowerBook G3) and didn't look back at Linux portables until the Chromebook beta
  • AMD A10-7850K -- When I decided to get back into DIY, I started here. On paper, everything about this APU seemed good. I didn't feel that my expectations for it were unreasonable, yet it failed to meet any of them. This choice almost led to me leaving the DIY space as soon as I had come back.

mdxi fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Oct 29, 2022

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
Best: Ryzen 7 1700X. The CPU that convinced me AMD was the real deal and completely changed the game as someone who does a lot of music production with plugins that require a lot of overhead. Would probably still be using it if it weren't for the fact that 1st-gen Ryzen had major issues with four sticks of RAM.

Worst: PNY Verto GeForce FX5200. Pretty self-explanatory. Bought it before I really knew anything about computer parts and figured it would be fine for my prebuilt Dell. Quickly learned why it has since earned its place on the list of worst graphics cards of all time and upgraded to a 256MB 6200 a year later, which was a significantly better card.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Best hardware purchase I ever made was a set of Sony MDR-V6 headphones I bought off a goon way back in 2003 for like $70. Only had to have a lead in one of the cans re-soldered once, and replaced the pads early on, other than that they've been rock loving solid.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
This year

Best: IK iLoud Micro Monitor

Far and away the best desktop speakers I ever heard without a subwoofer for the price.
They sound just as nice as JBL 305Ps but at 10% the size.

Worst: Acer XB273U GX - 240Hz IPS 1440P

Got a unfixable stuck pixel in the center which is not covered under the warranty.
240Hz isn't a very noticeable upgrade over my old XB271HU 150Hz to my eyes, and the screen coating is far worse than the latter.
Sold it at a 50% loss.

App13
Dec 31, 2011

Best:

Steam Deck: I’ve had one since they released and it is by far my favorite computer of all time. While I was in between MacBooks I used it as my daily driver. A powerful portable PC that runs Linux and windows, and can emulate whatever I throw at it? Incredible. This is the PC I dreamed of as a nerdy teenage.

1080ti: Bought on release for like $700. Sold last year for $800. In that time it absolutely slapped any VR game I threw at it, flew through all the CFD simulations I tried, and even mined half its own value in Eth (and kept my room warm in the winter). Truly incredible value.

Worst:
Xbox One S : Just constant hardware problems, controller disconnects, and overall funkiness. Had trouble with it for its entire lifespan. I like the Xbox platform, but this particular version I just had really really bad luck with.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Best:
Maybe Logitech MX Master series mouse? Extremely reliably and versatile. Great for my big hands.

Worst:
A long time ago, a first-gen iPod Shuffle. Any other MP3 player had probably been a better choice. This one died an early death in a laundry accident.
More recently, a 2014 or 2015 Thinkpad, one of the models with the mushy trackpad, and a horrible low-res display too. I still use it occasionally, only because it's so rare I need to use a personal laptop, but it annoys me every time I have to.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life
I’ve had a string of bad purchases lately in the “I spent money for something I never use.”

Had a chance to buy 2 PS5s on the same day like a month after release. Sold one to a friend at cost and kept the other one. I’ve played Spider-Man on it for about 4 hours and haven’t turned it on since.

Purchased an Apple Watch and used it for a week but I get 100 messages a day for work and I got tired of both my pocket and my wrist going off and haven’t charged it since.

Purchased a $900 laptop during Black Friday on 2021 because I was doing a bit of traveling at the time. Think I’ve used it like 3 times.

Honorable mention and it’s been years but I had about 15 HD-DVDs and the Xbox 360 player.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

best: a 1080ti in May of 2017. Prices shot up immediately after that thanks to shitcoin and didn't come down again for what, years? Meanwhile this is the longest I have owned a graphics card without replacing it, and honestly I don't strongly feel I need to. Can still get playable FPS in most new games in 4K on med-high settings.

App13
Dec 31, 2011

Best:
Steamdeck (256gb)
Arguably my favorite computer of all time. A handheld Linux based console that is completely unlocked? It’s like the second coming of a hacked PSP in the best of ways

Honorable mention: 1080ti, same story as the poster above

Worst:
Nreal Air AR glasses
Absolute dogwater software killed these. The screens themselves were good, but having a giant monitor pasted in front of your head turns out to not actually be useful

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

best: a 1080ti in May of 2017. Prices shot up immediately after that thanks to shitcoin and didn't come down again for what, years? Meanwhile this is the longest I have owned a graphics card without replacing it, and honestly I don't strongly feel I need to. Can still get playable FPS in most new games in 4K on med-high settings.

Yeah same story, 1080 Ti, May 2017.

I also bought a pile of 2TB hard drives maybe a week or two before the floods in Thailand wrecked HDD prices, when was that.. 2010?

I'd really have to think about this, because there's plenty of good hardware purchases I've made.

I guess if we're going for poor value, I did buy a Radeon 9800 Pro to upgrade from a Radeon 9800. I was also probably one of the only people that had a Radeon 2900 XT. Still, I got the "black box" (a cut down orange box) with it, so it wasn't really bad.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

best: nVidia RTX 2070
I was originally shopping for a Vega 64 on Amazon and found a deeply discounted Zotac 2070 that was just a little bit beyond my price point and stretched to get it instead because, hey, ray tracing! :pcgaming: I have almost never used ray tracing, but the 2070 has been a great card that is vastly superior to my old 1060, it can even run Microsoft Flight Simulator in VR well enough, and I got it for about half the price a similarly positioned video card goes for nowadays. Runner up would be the Abit KT7A card I bought as the foundation for my retro PC, it has been a rock-solid platform for retro games from the early DOS era all the way up until the mid-2000s, capable of hosting processors fast enough for Doom 3 but also with an ISA slot so I do not need to sacrifice conventional memory to get sound under DOS. Ironically, I've heard it and other KT133 cards were regarded as garbage in their own time.
worst: Razer Diamondback Chroma
I was very excited to try out a new version of my all-time favorite gaming mouse, only to find that it had a subtly different shape that made its ergonomics, at least for my hand, worse in every way, a terrible laser sensor with lots of Z-tracking, and it poo poo the bed within six months. I did not buy another Razer product for several years afterwards. Runner up would be the Corsair Crystal Series case I originally built my Ryzen in that killed my enthusiasm for glass and colored lighting forever by being loud, distracting, and showing off exactly how terrible my cable management was. The cherry on top was the lack of an optical drive bay that forced me to sacrifice two USB ports to an external unit. I ended up replacing it with a Fractal Design R5 and never looked back.

E: Actually, my Lenovo ThinkPad T520 might be the best hardware I've ever owned, on second thought. It is not fast, it is not sexy, it does not game well, and it does not have great battery life, but it has been an indestructible cockroach of a computer that has never failed me even running the same Arch Linux install for five years (and the same configuration I set up in 2018 with almost no changes). Something ought to have broken by now but it keeps right on going as if it were new even though it was several years old when I bought it. It even has a nice keyboard that is pleasant to type fast on, which no other laptop I've ever used can boast of.

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Apr 13, 2023

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
Best: 14” m1 MBP with 32GB ram, pretty obvious one of the greatest laptops ever made.

Intel x25 160GB ssd, it cost $500 but there was no going back.

Worst: Google nexus 1, basically the first google phone, it had a ton of bugs, the system partition was tiny for some reason and text messages would disappear. It had huge touch dead zone. It was oled but it had 4 white glowing touch buttons so you never got to experience true black.

WD raptor 150GB 10k rpm, it died twice.

Evga x58 micro, it had less features than reference board, and it couldn’t do pci passthrough. Should have brought an asus p6t deluxe.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Woolie Wool posted:

I was originally shopping for a Vega 64 on Amazon... my old 1060...

Wow, that's a bit of a weird upgrade. It's a good thing you didn't go from the 1060 to the Vega or else you'd probably end up with the latter under your "worst hardware purchases".

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
Going to reach way back for this.

Best:
Hercules Game Theater XP sound card. So take a soundcard, and make a giant breakout box for it. The breakout box had headphone and mic ports that were 1/4". It also had the 15pin gamepad/joystick port, and a few usb ports. It had optical ports, RCA ports, just did everything. Unfortunately killed by Hercules going out of business and drivers never making it to WinXP.

Voodoo 2. I had built my computer in 98, but the graphics card it came with was a Riva 128, which was adequate at best. But every gaming magazine was going nuts about the Voodoo2. I saved up a few months of pay to order one, and what an incredible difference.

Worst:
Some Creative Labs graphics card. Mid 90s, graphics cards were starting to become A Thing. The problem is, they were all pretty terrible. Everyone was trying to find a way to get Quake to run well. Creative Labs jumped into the market with a handful of cards, one of them used a higher quality chipset, while another was much cheaper. From that I remember, they had a card called the Graphics Blaster 3d, which was the good chip. And another card, called the 3d Blaster, which was not. I bought the bad one. I ran Quake marginally better then whatever card that computer had, but not enough to justify the price.

Mofabio
May 15, 2003
(y - mx)*(1/(inf))*(PV/RT)*(2.718)*(V/I)

Woolie Wool posted:

E: Actually, my Lenovo ThinkPad T520 might be the best hardware I've ever owned, on second thought. It is not fast, it is not sexy, it does not game well, and it does not have great battery life, but it has been an indestructible cockroach of a computer that has never failed me even running the same Arch Linux install for five years (and the same configuration I set up in 2018 with almost no changes). Something ought to have broken by now but it keeps right on going as if it were new even though it was several years old when I bought it. It even has a nice keyboard that is pleasant to type fast on, which no other laptop I've ever used can boast of.

You know I was trying to think of the most fun I've had on computer and your post helped me remember. It's the X220 Tablet with the great keyboard, doing my first big CAD projects on it, math projects, and learning to code. Good memories. The IPS screen is the correct 13" resolution, 1366x768. There are a lot of old scientific programs that don't need that much oomph, and I had a really interesting time trying them after I took the wifi card out, and gave it a second life as an 'offline computer'.

In this context, the bad battery was kind of an asset, like a long pomodoro timer, after which time I'd go 'look some things up on the internet' (and dick around) on the "online computer". I should probably go back to that system, in retrospect. I think that's been the most interesting time I've had operating one of these infernal calculators.

~~

2nd best: I bought a 1060 off of SA-Mart, when my buddy's back went out we played Witcher 3 on it for a week straight on oxycodone. Then GPU prices increased and I sold it for hardly less than what I paid.

~~

Worst: A bunch of server equipment I never used, including 320GB of DDR3-1866 off SA-Mart. I got the Supermicro motherboard, PSU, RAM, but I couldn't get it to boot, and gave up. If anyone wants a bunch of Ivy Bridge era, never-touched-the-internet, just-as-fast-as-when-they-made-it, 320GB of pure research machine (parts), you wouldn't believe how little I would sell the box for.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Yours was IPS? I'm jealous, mine has the infamous zero contrast screen.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

~Coxy posted:

Wow, that's a bit of a weird upgrade. It's a good thing you didn't go from the 1060 to the Vega or else you'd probably end up with the latter under your "worst hardware purchases".

I dunno I bought a heavily discounted Vega 64 and it worked great. Still have it although the system it was in died.

Best: I guess the iPhone 5s, which is what made me switch from android to iOS and was a gateway drug into the Apple ecosystem. Before that I was all in on google nexus stuff but pretty much every one of them ended up with weird hardware issues. Although I do still have my Nexus 7 tablet somewhere, the good one not the first one.

Honourable mentions are: PS2, Switch, my now dead 5820k x99 computer, MBP 2015

Worst: 3080ti FE, bought at the height of the height of the gpu price madness in 2021 for msrp but still by far the most expensive gpu I’ve bought. Died after 3 months of very light use and dealing with nvidia support was painful. Did eventually get a replacement card but still it’s galling that the only gpu failure I’ve had was the most expensive one.

At least the performance is decent and I like the cooler design, but I’m never buying an fe card again.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Back in the early 00's trying to save a few bucks i bought a powerVR kyro II video card.

It was anemic iirc but the true stinker was the drivers, which bluescreened like clockwork playing 3d games it was supposed to save me money getting access to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Not my purchase, my parents', but they got a ZX Spectrum when I was about 5 because apparently I kept begging them for it (and this was like 1982 when even cheap computers weren't). 40 years later I've been a programmer pretty much straight since then; if they hadn't done that I'd probably be teaching high school history somewhere (badly) for about 1/3rd the pay.