Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

My (well parents') worst purchase was this all-in-one game controller that went probably into gameport back in the late 90's or early 2000's. Basically you could strip parts of it or realign pieces of it to:
1. Act as a steering wheel
2. Act as a flight yoke (You could push/pull it towards/away from the base like a flight yoke, not a joystick)
3. Act as a....motorbike controller (Nothing different from the steering wheel apart from some parts aligned differently I believe)
4. It also had a regular joystick at the right hand side of it.

I remember it being an absolute piece of poo poo. I have no memory of the brand apart from it was fairly unknown. If I spent ages trawling old (Finnish) PC Magazine I could probably find it.

....But I would be curious to try it again (if it gameport worked) just to see if my memory serves right or whether I was just bad at using it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Dessel posted:

My (well parents') worst purchase was this all-in-one game controller that went probably into gameport back in the late 90's or early 2000's. Basically you could strip parts of it or realign pieces of it to:
2. Act as a flight yoke (You could push/pull it towards/away from the base like a flight yoke, not a joystick)
3. Act as a....motorbike controller (Nothing different from the steering wheel apart from some parts aligned differently I believe)

I remember it being an absolute piece of poo poo. I have no memory of the brand apart from it was fairly unknown. If I spent ages trawling old (Finnish) PC Magazine I could probably find it.

....But I would be curious to try it again (if it gameport worked) just to see if my memory serves right or whether I was just bad at using it.

That's pretty neat sounding even if it didn't work well in practice, I'd love to see it. That was definitely the era I was most interested in alternate controllers for racing games and flight sims, but I don't remember anything with modifiable configurations like that.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Dessel posted:

this is gonna be a beef jerky shoe situation where we all doubt that it ever existed for like 15 years until someone finds out it was a comedy thing on late night tv

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

Found it. Zykon Joyrider Pro

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/374909669605

Apparently it was a Belgian firm. Please do not buy it. I found one Finnish review of it and it considered it completely horrible. It was in a 98 short puff piece including other great hits such as InterAct UltraRacer, InterAct Vortex 3D, Saitek Cyborg 3D, Per4mer Air Racer and Thrustmaster FragMaster

image of it from some Russian website.

Source: https://youla.ru/sankt-peterburg/kompyutery/ruli-dzhoistiki-geympady/dzhoistik-4v1joyrider-pro-zykon-5eb68a2c78a89b773008d7b0

Dessel fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Nov 22, 2023

Termyie
Aug 18, 2022

Always choose violence.

Best Purchase was a 1080ti. I have used it as a loaner card to all my friends and gave it to my brother as a gift last year. It is still a beast all these years and keeps on chugging 7 years later with no end in sight.

Worst purchases are a few. First one was the Samsung Flip 4. I got caught up in the hype cycle with this as my Pixel 5 was getting long in the tooth. The screen protector came off the phone within a few months and the screen cracked a few times from light use. It got to the point where I never opened the phone at all because I didn't want to crack the screen again from just using it. I sold it off for a Samsung s23 Ultra after the 3rd RMA.

Second being Gigabyte video cards. I don't think I ever used a company that just produce terrible video cards. I had a 460ti that bluescreened all the time. I had a AMD 270x that died after a week and the warranty replacement dragged on for a year. I got a 6700xt that refused to load anything regardless of the pc I put it on to make sure it wasn't a driver issue. I have used MSI, ASUS, XFX, and Sapphire many times without issue. Gigabyte Video Cards, a failure every time.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Worst purchase is my 5600X, in the sense that if I'd waited longer I could have gotten a 5800X3D :mad:

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Best purchase probably was my old BlackBerry Curve 8320 considering I used the hell out of that thing. Actual computer related would probably be my Audioengine A2+ speakers.
Worst purchase has to be spending $900 on an RTX 3070 Ti late into the pandemic only to replace it a year later because Nvidia won't put enough VRAM on their loving cards. Maybe an Xbox One (not S, not X, just the original VCR shaped one).

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

when i had no idea what i was doing i bought a passively cooled gaming card (an X800XL i think) and ho boy was that a mistake even with the meagre ~50W TDPs of the day

arctic cooling came to the rescue on that one

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

best purchases were probably the 2500k and 8700k, and managing to bag an FE card for MSRP at the height of the pandemic which ended up being an almost free upgrade with the inflated price my old card sold for

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
Best purchase was a Steam Deck. I've been using it regularly ever since I bought it, and I'm immediately buying a Steam Deck 2 whenever it drops in 2025.

Worst purchase was a gaming laptop. Keyboard only worked in the BIOS, never in Windows or Linux, and Dell basically threw their hands up when replacing the keyboard didn't fix the issue. It ran hot af and despite having a mobile 3080 it couldn't handle VR games. Ended up giving it away.

Vile_Nihlist666
Jan 15, 2009

I'm a special kind of asshole!
The Elecom HUGE trackball, as seen in this link: https://a.co/d/it0rkeL

I found mine at a thrift store for 3 bucks, and let me tell you it lives up to its name and I swear by it. I also bought a wireless one full price for my laptop. I loving love this thing!

I also should give props to my ThinkPad T420, it taught me Linux and got me into IT, and continues to be a workhorse and a versatile machine. Got 3 drives shoved in it, which is handy as well.

Vile_Nihlist666 fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Nov 28, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vile_Nihlist666
Jan 15, 2009

I'm a special kind of asshole!

Woolie Wool posted:

best:
E: Actually, my Lenovo ThinkPad T520...

:hmmyes: