Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth
From the director of Blade ll:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYotKcx8rw8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3E1URhCR60

Everyone’s favorite Hollywood mexican is back with more top-tier horror — but in a TV anthology format this time!

If you’re not sold after watching episode one then you have really bad taste.

Episodes 5 and 6 will be adaptations of Pickman’s Model and The Dreams In The Witch House by Lovecraft. :circlefap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Government Handjob
Nov 1, 2004

Gudbrandsglasnost
College Slice
Been waiting for this to drop for a while, not disappointed after watching the first four episodes. Episode 3, The Autopsy, is a favorite so far.

Surprised this didn't have a thread before now.

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth
Wow they changed so much in pickman’s model and dreams in the witch house to where they’re unrecognizable from the source material

Episode 1 and 3 are some top notch stuff holy poo poo.

Here’s hoping the last two are great

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

MLSM posted:

Wow they changed so much in pickman’s model and dreams in the witch house to where they’re unrecognizable from the source material

Episode 1 and 3 are some top notch stuff holy poo poo.

Here’s hoping the last two are great

I haven't seen Pickman's Model yet but from the trailers I can tell they've uh... padded it out. You almost have to in order to stretch it to an hour. The build up of dread makes that story one of my favorites in weird fiction, but a lot of it is lingering descriptions on increasingly revealing and unsettling paintings. Please tell me they kept the iconic last line.

Dreams in the Witch House is one of my least favorite stories, so I watched it first. The plot's just as messy as the short story, but I play Arkham Horror: The Card Game and seeing Keziah Mason and Brown Jenkins on the screen was incredible. It makes me want to play the campaign they're in again.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Episode 7, The Viewing, falls into that category of "There's so much talent in this stacked cast, how could this go wrong?" and then it does. 50 minutes of Peter Weller as a pretentious billionaire showboating to a hand-picked group of people. The rest of the cast gets the bare minimum of dialog and characterization. In the last few minutes he says "Oh btw I found a rock" and they go into a room to stare at a rock/egg that dissolves some of them Scanners-style. The monster turns into a goo which envelops the billionaire and he crawls through a sewer grate into a reservoir, and the power flickers around it. Like it's going to go on and destroy the world with its psychic electric powers. It's almost an hour of a billionaire trying to impress some people with big talk followed by a five minute FX reel. It's not slow-burn horror, it's no-burn. Nothing happens in the lead up. Don't waste your time. I'm going to skip this one on any rewatch.

Government Handjob
Nov 1, 2004

Gudbrandsglasnost
College Slice
Watching this with captioning and the thread title should be Guillermo Del Toro Presents [Wet Squelching]

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

:buddy:

Grimey Drawer
I really liked all of them besides The Outside.

I don't know why, it's like they were trying to capture the energy of a Creepshow / Black Mirror episode and just didn't work for me.

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

LifeLynx posted:

Episode 7, The Viewing, falls into that category of "There's so much talent in this stacked cast, how could this go wrong?" and then it does. 50 minutes of Peter Weller as a pretentious billionaire showboating to a hand-picked group of people. The rest of the cast gets the bare minimum of dialog and characterization. In the last few minutes he says "Oh btw I found a rock" and they go into a room to stare at a rock/egg that dissolves some of them Scanners-style. The monster turns into a goo which envelops the billionaire and he crawls through a sewer grate into a reservoir, and the power flickers around it. Like it's going to go on and destroy the world with its psychic electric powers. It's almost an hour of a billionaire trying to impress some people with big talk followed by a five minute FX reel. It's not slow-burn horror, it's no-burn. Nothing happens in the lead up. Don't waste your time. I'm going to skip this one on any rewatch.

Yeah I don’t know what the gently caress episode 7 was even going for, and you get the feeling the writer didn’t either. It’s the only “bad” episode of this series.

Episodes 1, 3, and 8 are the standouts for me here. Dreams in the Witch House was notable for the effects, but they completely altered the plot for the adaptation. No man in black either wtf

But episode 3, The Autopsy, is hands down the best one here. Holy gently caress the writing, cinematography, body horror, acting, etc

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth
Here’s hoping we get a second season

Government Handjob
Nov 1, 2004

Gudbrandsglasnost
College Slice
There wasn't a single wet squelch in episode 8. Could have been creepier but I liked it.

Also the birds reminded my girlfriend and me of the American Woodech, so we spent the first few minutes of the episodes mimicking Jontron

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sr_SGkqrrdM

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

MLSM posted:

Yeah I don’t know what the gently caress episode 7 was even going for, and you get the feeling the writer didn’t either. It’s the only “bad” episode of this series.

Episodes 1, 3, and 8 are the standouts for me here. Dreams in the Witch House was notable for the effects, but they completely altered the plot for the adaptation. No man in black either wtf

But episode 3, The Autopsy, is hands down the best one here. Holy gently caress the writing, cinematography, body horror, acting, etc

The original Michael Shea short story, The Autopsy is a classic for a reason. Arguably even more body horror in it.

Essentially a very faithful adaptation.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

I wish these anthology shows would be braver with changing up the runtime of the episodes. I feel the same way about alot of Black Mirror too but that had to be on TV but this is entirely on Netflix right? If the story only needs 30 minutes to be told then stretching it to an hour is dumb.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

fez_machine posted:

The original Michael Shea short story, The Autopsy is a classic for a reason. Arguably even more body horror in it.

Essentially a very faithful adaptation.

I honestly felt that it was too concerned about the sci-fi and not the horror. I've only watched the first four episode, but compared to them the Autopsy was the most generic and unremarkable.
The most horrific thing so far is arguably the gold candelabra of the first episode, the gold coming from an unconventional source, piece by piece.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
This is just fantastic production and directing out of GDT. Dude's just a complete master of horror. I miss the big directors doing the Masters of Horror anthology stuff. Seems like it's been too long on that front.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Doltos posted:

This is just fantastic production and directing out of GDT. Dude's just a complete master of horror. I miss the big directors doing the Masters of Horror anthology stuff. Seems like it's been too long on that front.

I’m not aware of GDT having directed any of the episodes.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I'd heard that two of them are directed by him but I could have just been misled.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Ogmius815 posted:

I’m not aware of GDT having directed any of the episodes.

You're right I misunderstood him talking when he said who was directing the first episode. I wondered why he was saying his own name in the third person.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
I don't even care that episode 7 was 45 minutes of bad dialogue and poor characterisation because it looked and sounded so amazing

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Oath Breaker's about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!
[cream continues squelching]

Government Handjob
Nov 1, 2004

Gudbrandsglasnost
College Slice

Bardeh posted:

I don't even care that episode 7 was 45 minutes of bad dialogue and poor characterisation because it looked and sounded so amazing

It should, it was made by the folks who made Mandy.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Doltos posted:

You're right I misunderstood him talking when he said who was directing the first episode. I wondered why he was saying his own name in the third person.
:same:

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
Episode 7 / The Viewing has the type of acting where people are just talking at each other with no normal reactions but it’s absolutely worth it for the soundtrack and art direction alone.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Two small things I noticed: The oven in Pickman's Model is made by ACME and the beer that the husband is drinking in Outside is labeled Beer.

Alhazred fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Oct 30, 2022

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Acme Beer. You'll feel like you were hit by an anvil.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

BioEnchanted posted:

Acme Beer. You'll feel like you were hit by an anvil.

Or an ax.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
The way the rare antique books were handled in episode 1 definitely scared the poo poo outta me.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Halfway through, thoughts so far:

Lot 36: Decent. Typical rear end in a top hat character does bad things, breaks rules no one would break and gets instant karma. 6/10
Graveyard Rats: lovely cgi rats 5/10
The Autopsy: One of the better ones, interesting plot and nice effects. 7/10
The Outside: Always enjoy goop based horror. You guys say this is too much like Black Mirror, I say: that's a good thing. 7/10
Pickman's Model: We took a 2 page Lovecraft story and streeeeeetched it out. Night Gallery version was better. 3/10

Anthology shows should only be 30 minutes long.

Mantis42 fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Oct 30, 2022

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I thought Graveyard Rats was fun, especially towards the end where he realised he's trapped between a giant mutant rat and an angry zombie. At that point it's almost farcical.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Yea I guess it does redeem itself in the last half. It's just too long, most of them are too long.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
Having seen the first three episodes. The Autopsy is my favorite while the first two were both "okay"

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Graveyard Rats would have been better if the focus was more on the creepy intelligent rats rather than becoming just about a giant rat and a zombie. Shoulda found a proper Rat King in the depths. :colbert:

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
I think I appreciated the rat story more cos of the recent Plague Tale game, but the next episode was definitely a step up

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Alright I finished the series. The Panos Cosmata one... well his style is great for mood and atmosphere but not so much 40 minutes of uninteresting dialogue. He should be given an episode of Creepshow when that comes back. Actually, everyone watch Creepshow, that blows this mostly mid show out of the water.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.
Episode 1 one word summary: MORTIS

(Play Faith, it's kinda cool)

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
So uhh I guess that historian collector guy in the 1st episode was really wrong about the candleholder protecting them huh

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

Shneak posted:

Episode 7 / The Viewing has the type of acting where people are just talking at each other with no normal reactions but it’s absolutely worth it for the soundtrack and art direction alone.

Felt the same way about episode 6 / Dreams in the Witch House. They butchered the original story but the visual effects of that forest and Keziah Mason were dope

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Dreams in the Witch-House could use some butchering if I'm being honest. Not one of Lovecraft's best stories. I just finished Pickman's Model and the story did not need to be done like that.

Pickman was too menacing.

In the original story, the witch trials are connected to the ghouls. Early on I was really worried it was going to be just another witch curse story.

The ending about "the feast" and some kind of elder god coming could've been woven into the story a bit better. People slowly going mad as Pickman's paintings give them insight into a true world. It really feels like they hit the end of the short story but were told that there was an hour-long mandate, so they had to fill another 20 minutes.

It was comical how the main character kept seeing horrific sanity-destroying poo poo and then being a happy family man in the very next scene.

I'm happy they kept "it was a photograph from life!" in some form.

If they were going to do something horrible to the kid, why not make him a secret Changeling-ghoul like the paintings in the original story and Pickman's dialog in this very episode made reference to?

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

sticksy posted:

So uhh I guess that historian collector guy in the 1st episode was really wrong about the candleholder protecting them huh

Did it disappear between shots after flaring?

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
Show is a pretty compelling argument that Lovecraft short stories should be short films, 20-30 minutes tops. The padding does not make the journey to the inevitable end any more interesting, at least in any of the adaptations I've seen -- and I'm theoretically the target audience!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

I think a lot of the episodes would have benefited from being shorter, but still enjoyed most of them.

The Autopsy was the standout by far. Lot 36 and Murmurs were also quite good. I'm not the biggest fan of Amirpour's style but The Outside was executed well despite it not being for me.

I liked the slapstick horror and practical effects of Graveyard Rats and the visual flair of Dreams in the Witch House, even if their stories were a bit shakier. Pickman's Model is undone by its lack of subtlety, I think. The monster design is cool though.

The Viewing has the same problem I have with Panos Cosmatos's other films. His regurgitation of cool visuals from better vintage movies doesn't save his boring glacial stories.