Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Das Boo posted:

Did it disappear between shots after flaring?

Yes, I checked.

The whole buildup was odd and felt like they had something more complicated planned, then realized they only had two minutes left.

I was expecting the dealer to either be the demon itself, or bringing the main character as a sacrifice. It was kind of bizarre that he had such detailed insider knowledge of the ritual and family but went out of his way to involve a skeptical moron with 30 seconds of coaching.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

None of the Lovecraft tales really translate from book to screen very well at all imo. The whole "so terrifying it makes you mad" gimmick just ends up being so goofy when its like....oh he painted some muppet gremlin things and a severed head. ok.

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

banned from Starbucks posted:

None of the Lovecraft tales really translate from book to screen very well at all imo. The whole "so terrifying it makes you mad" gimmick just ends up being so goofy when its like....oh he painted some muppet gremlin things and a severed head. ok.

Sums up the issue quite well imo:

https://twitter.com/codexnoirmatic/status/1450468514398187520?s=20&t=ihyqnzeIF8cLMtzzs3uwBQ

That said as much as I love GTD I hope he does NOT do At The Mountains of Madness for this very reason

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

It’s definitely possible to do visual justice to Lovecraftian horror, that’s one of the things artists like Junji Ito or Giger are (were) very good at. But it requires thinking outside of the box and not just doing tentacle monsters etc.

Honestly these were some of the better Lovecraft adaptations, but I wouldn’t say they were particularly scary per se. Actually being trapped in the rat tunnels was probably the most anxious I got during this show.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.
The Color Out of Space was a pretty good attempt.

Yes, the one with Nick Cage in it.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Providence by Alan Moore is great as well for making Lovecraftian visuals and mind melts upsetting

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Lovecraftian visuals are the same thing as showing the monster. Junji Ito isn't just a fantastic artist, the stories themselves are pretty reserved in over showing the horror. I feel like the problem with Pickman's Model is that the paintings were in clear view and then they had the stupid CGI trash man come out of the sewer at the end.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

A.o.D. posted:

my dad called this the color purple the other day

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Mantis42 posted:

my dad called this the color purple the other day

They used magenta because it's a synthetic color that is an artifact of our brains and not a true wavelength color.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

After watching the whole series, I think The Autopsy is head and shoulders the best one. The rest range from "okay" to "pretty bad" for me.

I think they're all just too long. Most of these feel like Tales from the Crypt or Creepshow episodes that had 20 minutes added, which just destroys the appeal of them. They either drag on, or feel like the end multiple times, or you have too much buildup for a lame payoff.

That said, I would be interested in a 2nd season. Either shorten the episode length or really be careful with what kind of stories you choose, and I think this could be great.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Oh gently caress me dead, Graveyard Rats really triggered a claustrophobic impulse in me that I didn't know I had. Pretty good though, enjoyed this one far more than the previous.

But is it just me, or is David Hewlett's character in this basically just Tim Blake Nelson's from the last one? Idiot arsehole grave robber who thinks he's better than everyone. I think Vincenzo Natali's take is better though, and no one squeals quite like David Hewlett.

Speaking of beloved Canadian character actors, very happy to see Julian Richings turn up in one of these.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

A.o.D. posted:

I really feel like this movie gets unduly ragged on. It had some pretty great visuals.

Now we can rag on Nic Cage’s return to his Vampire’s Kiss accent all we want.

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

A Fancy Hat posted:

After watching the whole series, I think The Autopsy is head and shoulders the best one. The rest range from "okay" to "pretty bad" for me.

I think they're all just too long. Most of these feel like Tales from the Crypt or Creepshow episodes that had 20 minutes added, which just destroys the appeal of them. They either drag on, or feel like the end multiple times, or you have too much buildup for a lame payoff.

That said, I would be interested in a 2nd season. Either shorten the episode length or really be careful with what kind of stories you choose, and I think this could be great.

The length was never the problem with any of them it was the scripts

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Hakkesshu posted:

It’s definitely possible to do visual justice to Lovecraftian horror, that’s one of the things artists like Junji Ito or Giger are (were) very good at. But it requires thinking outside of the box and not just doing tentacle monsters etc.

Honestly these were some of the better Lovecraft adaptations, but I wouldn’t say they were particularly scary per se. Actually being trapped in the rat tunnels was probably the most anxious I got during this show.

The problem with a lot of Lovecraft adaptations is that most of the time the Lovecraftian entities are just big scary monsters with names from the mythos, and insanity is treated like its some disease directly caused by encountering the creatures. The adaptations miss that in the H.P. Lovecraft stories, they were cosmic horrors that made humanity completely insignificant in the grand scheme of things. People were driven mad by the implications, not the actual creatures.

Like I mentioned before, the paintings in Pickman's model didn't need to be supernatural in nature. The horror came from the fact that they were drawn from life.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Bussamove posted:

I really feel like this movie gets unduly ragged on. It had some pretty great visuals.

Now we can rag on Nic Cage’s return to his Vampire’s Kiss accent all we want.

I loved every part of it except Nic Cage. He figured he was in it to play over the top Nic while everyone else was trying to do the most faithful adaptation of a Lovecraft story ever out to film.

Hell, even Tommy Chong got the correct read on the movie's vibe.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Avasculous posted:

Yes, I checked.

The whole buildup was odd and felt like they had something more complicated planned, then realized they only had two minutes left.

I was expecting the dealer to either be the demon itself, or bringing the main character as a sacrifice. It was kind of bizarre that he had such detailed insider knowledge of the ritual and family but went out of his way to involve a skeptical moron with 30 seconds of coaching.

Yeah overall I liked it but definitely could have lost 15 minutes and been better. Regarding the dealer my takeaway was clearly an evil dude happily trafficking in German war trophies but seems like he wasn’t used to dealing with people outside his circle, maybe was a professor used to students listening to instructions and not striding through binding magics.

Also a bit underwhelming to have jerk guy be rude to storage unit woman, then having her leave him to his death. Cut her from the story and have the monster get loose on the countryside, why not.

Costco Meatballs
Oct 21, 2022
Hee hee, they should have called the outside 'requiem for a cream'

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Color Out Of Space was great. I think Nic Cage did a fine job in it. The entire movie was visuals anyway and they aced it.

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

In Ep. 1 was there any particular meaning to the old man bunnyhopping outside the storage-room? I noticed he was cooking rabbit when he died too. Or was it just an artistic flourish because the narrative needed a thing to make the room interesting?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Pondex posted:

In Ep. 1 was there any particular meaning to the old man bunnyhopping outside the storage-room? I noticed he was cooking rabbit when he died too. Or was it just an artistic flourish because the narrative needed a thing to make the room interesting?

The implication is that it was a part of the containment ritual for the demon.

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

A.o.D. posted:

The implication is that it was a part of the containment ritual for the demon.

Yeah, I figured. It's just a peculiar choice from the writer.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Doltos posted:

Color Out Of Space was great. I think Nic Cage did a fine job in it. The entire movie was visuals anyway and they aced it.

It's been awhile, but I remember this being my response too. The movie manages to catch at least something from Lovecraft's weird premise, that globules of colour turn people mad and into monsters. Nic Cage being Nic Cage helps drive the crazy and increasingly unhinging mood, IMO.

Another good Lovecraft adaptation is the 2001 Dagon, which combines Shadow over Innsmouth and, uh, Dagon. The film is shlocky, but they did a brilliant job with the oppressive and alien mood of the Village.

I liked the goofy CGI trashman in Pickman's Model, but that episode was just too over-the-top for me to take seriously.

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth
I like lovely schlocky sci-fi so I’ll check it out!

The Shadow Over Innsmouth is basically a sequel to Dagon anyway.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Nothing outschlocks Cast A Deadly Spell when it comes to poorly adapted Lovecraft

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
It took me a bit to get around to watching the last few episodes, and i didn't want to comment on the whole thing until then.

Lot 36 - Standard horror story about rear end in a top hat who gets their comeuppance. Monster was pretty cool. Also had to set it in the 90s so the right wing rear end in a top hat wasn't super into the nazi poo poo. But still, pretty good.

Graveyard Rats - Oh hey is the Distillery District in Toronto, and David Hewlett is always fun, and if you were afraid of rats or the dark or small spaces, this would probably freak you out. Again, pretty good.

The Autopsy - This is the best episode, the whole thing mostly being a bottle with a mystery being unraveled is great, F Murry Abraham is in top form and jesus christ the ending.

The Outside - I really liked this one too, Kate Muccui is adorable and Martin Starr is pretty great too. It was a nice change from most stories about women and the pressure to be a certain standard of beauty than a lot of other stories, mostly they don't have someone who loves them unconditionally. Dan Stevens being extremely creepy and dutch is just a bonus. My second favorite of the series.

Pickman's Model - Again, its the distillery district! I love that place! If you're ever in Toronto check out the Mill Street Brewpub there. Anyways, Chrispan Glover being creepy as always, and it was a decent expansion of the short story, but I agree with some others have said, that the horror of the Hates Progress Lovecrafts story is that what he was seeing was real, not that the paintings were making people go bonkers and have California Cheeseburgers. Also Lividica was the name of the mother of Wilber Wheatly and the son of Yog-Soggoth from The Dunwich horror, so that was a neat little easter egg, but it sorta made me wish I was watching an adaption of that. Definatly the better of the two Lovecraft adaptions.

Dreams in the Witch House - Okay, this is the worst of the series. Ron wanting his sister back was not compelling, and just everything was meh, saw that coming. The Dryad Witch was pretty cool though. Stuart Gordon's version from Masters of Horror was way better.

The Viewing - Def the 3rd best of the series. loving steller cast, everyone really nails what they are meant to be. Steve Agee with his regular beard color confused me. But god drat Peter Weller is fantastic. The whole thing oozed the coolset 70s style. I was curious what was going to eventually happen, though I enjoyed watching a great bunch of actors do drugs and chat about a ton of stuff. But then when things get going, it gets weird in the best way. I figure the parasite thingy was looking for the best host, and found Uri Geller and Agee wanting, Sofia Boutella is almost suitable, but nope, only Weller is, probably because Buckaroo Bonzai rules.

The Murming - I accidently saw a summery of this one and was "ugh i don't want to watch some people be sad over their dead kid" but it was pretty interesting. Using a lot of stuff you'd see in early 2000s Jhorror, it was still effective. I also liked that it was set in Nova Scotia.

I hope they do another season, a combination of lesser and more well known horror/weird stories. I liked that The Outside was based on a webcomic, so going outside the normal short story sources had excellent results.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

One thing about The Viewing is the guests were all approximations of 70s celebrities: Steve Agee was Stephen King, Eric Andre was Barry Gordy [or maybe Quincy Jones], Charlyene Yi was Carl Sagan and Michael Thierrault was Uri Geller.

I love Cosmatos so I knew what I was in for, if you enjoyed the vibe make sure to check out Beyond the Black Rainbow. It has that same “utopian 70s project that went horribly wrong” thing going on, plus a really killer soundtrack.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

qirex posted:

One thing about The Viewing is the guests were all approximations of 70s celebrities: Steve Agee was Stephen King, Eric Andre was Barry Gordy [or maybe Quincy Jones], Charlyene Yi was Carl Sagan and Michael Thierrault was Uri Geller.

I love Cosmatos so I knew what I was in for, if you enjoyed the vibe make sure to check out Beyond the Black Rainbow. It has that same “utopian 70s project that went horribly wrong” thing going on, plus a really killer soundtrack.

I got that Agee was King, and Thierrault being Uri Geller (or maybe Kreskin?) was obvious, but I didn't connect Yi with Sagan, but that makes sense, and yea Eric Andre's analog is a bit hard to pin down. Jones is probably the closest, but there is probably some really avante guard late 70s that super music nerds know that he's based on.

And drat, yes i was trying to remember a movie that had the feel, and I forgot about Beyond the Black Rainbow.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Yeah, I don’t know enough about 1970s super producers to make a definite connection. He could even be Herbie Hancock or just a melange of multiple people.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice
You're all missing the point which is that you shouldn't smoke in the obelisk chamber.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

InfiniteZero posted:

You're all missing the point which is that you shouldn't smoke in the obelisk chamber.

This is true, but you definitely shouldn’t give people space cocaine and then expect them to follow your no smoking area guidelines.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Something I didn't mention about the Outside is when the hell does it take place? Almost everything in it makes me think its the 80s, maybe early 90s, but their TV is modern, they're watching modern Poker on it, and there is a cellphone later on in the episode.

I thought maybe it was going to be part of the story, that slowly the world was going to start becoming more modern over time, but nope.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

twistedmentat posted:

Something I didn't mention about the Outside is when the hell does it take place? Almost everything in it makes me think its the 80s, maybe early 90s, but their TV is modern, they're watching modern Poker on it, and there is a cellphone later on in the episode.

I thought maybe it was going to be part of the story, that slowly the world was going to start becoming more modern over time, but nope.

It's set in Netflix Early 2000s, like Sex Education
Where it's a mash of like 2005 and 1985

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Taear posted:

It's set in Netflix Early 2000s, like Sex Education
Where it's a mash of like 2005 and 1985

Ah, that makes sense. I've not seen Sex Education but I can see that aesthetic working.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
Watched it and it was very by the book mid. Every story is some variation of "person goes where they shouldn't, gets eaten by a monster". You might say I'm being too reductive and every horror story can be summarized this way, but usually you also have this things called "themes" and "story" or at least a cool atmosphere.

The only one I liked and the one that made me check this whole thing out is the Panos Kosmatos one, because at least it had style for days. None of his movies are particularly deep or have a story, but you're getting an amazing audiovisual spectacle to make up for it.

The others were mostly just boring. People seem to like Autopsy but I could barely stand the alien's anime villain lines.

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

grate deceiver posted:

Watched it and it was very by the book mid. Every story is some variation of "person goes where they shouldn't, gets eaten by a monster". You might say I'm being too reductive and every horror story can be summarized this way, but usually you also have this things called "themes" and "story" or at least a cool atmosphere.

The only one I liked and the one that made me check this whole thing out is the Panos Kosmatos one, because at least it had style for days. None of his movies are particularly deep or have a story, but you're getting an amazing audiovisual spectacle to make up for it.

The others were mostly just boring. People seem to like Autopsy but I could barely stand the alien's anime villain lines.

What an awkward post.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Doltos posted:

Color Out of Space makes a good double feature with Annihilation.

Doltos posted:

Nothing outschlocks Cast A Deadly Spell when it comes to poorly adapted Lovecraft

Have you seen it’s sequel, Witch Hunt?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

ruddiger posted:

Color Out of Space makes a good double feature with Annihilation.

Agreed. Both make very convincing arguments that pretty colors are evil and should be avoid at all costs.