Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Guillermo del Toro presents: Came for the Lovecraftian existential dread, stayed for the anal sex songs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Doltos posted:

Color Out Of Space was great. I think Nic Cage did a fine job in it. The entire movie was visuals anyway and they aced it.

It's been awhile, but I remember this being my response too. The movie manages to catch at least something from Lovecraft's weird premise, that globules of colour turn people mad and into monsters. Nic Cage being Nic Cage helps drive the crazy and increasingly unhinging mood, IMO.

Another good Lovecraft adaptation is the 2001 Dagon, which combines Shadow over Innsmouth and, uh, Dagon. The film is shlocky, but they did a brilliant job with the oppressive and alien mood of the Village.

I liked the goofy CGI trashman in Pickman's Model, but that episode was just too over-the-top for me to take seriously.