Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Ep 7 was insulting. Amazing cast, scenery, art direction, sound direction, setup etc. all in service of the most pointless script of them all.

Not everything has to be a tale of morality, but christ, there was no point to any of it. Give me *some* payoff. Especially if I'm investing 45 minutes into the banter.

The billionaire actor is a delight to watch, and the banter was mostly ok, but there was zero relationship to any of it and what occurred in the final scene. Learning about these characters had seemingly no impact on how they were destroyed or what they did once big monster showed up. It was all just red herrings. Guy made his fortune off of uranium, ok. Woman helped treat Gadaffi. Ok. Author is a bit of a prick, cool. Billionaire talks about how much he respects the physician, but we never see a reaction from him on her melting. Andre is a musician past his prime and a recovered addict, cool cool. Scientist girl is a dork, but gives into peer pressure easily, roger. Ah well, gently caress me for getting invested in your table setting.

I'm just bewildered by how that played out.

Overall I do hope they get another season. These are beautifully shot and executed on.

...but I hope they get scripts that are just a couple degrees more clever, or more tied to some sort of theme. Pickman's Model was going to be my example until I saw ep 7. Really thought they were going to run with alcohol being the real witch – his sinful indulgences made him more open to the evils that Pickman was sealing away in the paintings, or something like that. Him painting actual demons fell super flat to me, as I couldn't recall a scene where that was implied or relevant. Hero dude sees a woman as a witch, but then she's a regular woman in another scene. Was that woman a real monster that had a human form, or did the dad also know he was getting hot and heavy with a witch or...

Like with 7, the reveal just landed super flat for me, because it didn't feel that set up. Which is a shame as everything else is so good! Always fun seeing Crispin Glover show up.

Ep 1, 2, 3 are great. The Autopsy is easily the best of the bunch. Graveyard Rats is claustrophobia incarnate, and I'm a sucker for stories featuring an overly-book-learned poor man.

CatstropheWaitress fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Nov 6, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Open Source Idiom posted:

And it kinda spent a lot of time loving around on the way to it's not really an ending.

I enjoyed it regardless, but agree to a degree. I think the episode really missed the mark with him callously walking over the TERRIFYING CORPSE WITH IT'S HEAD SUNKEN IN, which rear end in a top hat or not, presumably that would freak out the average Joe.

And also dropped the ball on what the old lady's connection to the old guy was. It was disappointing she came back only to let him die because he was rude. Was waiting for them to say she was part of the experiments... or she was someone with knowledge of the beast and wanted to bring it food... or destroy it. As is, she seems to know about it, but it is also cool with it just chilling in the storage facility? Maybe it'll break free? Who knows.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

I think that's why I had such a volatile reaction to that episode. Agree with everyone that the ambiance is just top notch.

Had it just had a better payoff, it would be one of my favorite things of the year. It's like how the end of Game of Thrones makes it hard to recommend anyone even start the series knowing it's all for naught.