Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CocoaNuts
Jun 12, 2020
Debate renewed...

Seattle Seahawks coach Pete Carroll and safety Quandre Diggs on Wednesday said they'd like to see a close reexamination of whether NFL stadiums should exclusively use natural grass.

The ongoing conversation about the safety of playing on artificial turf versus natural grass has been raised anew after Seahawks wide receiver DK Metcalf and Los Angeles Chargers cornerback J.C. Jackson suffered knee injuries during Sunday's game at SoFi Stadium, both on noncontact plays.

SoFi Stadium, home of the Chargers and the Rams, uses an artificial surface.

"I think we definitely need to look at this really seriously in the offseason again," Carroll said when asked about the grass-turf debate. "It's been a discussion before. We've got to do what's right, and we've got to do what's safest for the players and we've got to make those choices. I would pound on the drum for that."

Fourteen of the NFL's 30 stadiums use an artificial surface, including the Seahawks' Lumen Field. In September 2020, NFL Players Association president JC Tretter called for all teams to use grass fields to reduce the risk of injury to players. Tretter cited NFL injury data from 2012 to 2018 that showed a 28% higher rate of noncontact lower-extremity injuries on artificial turf as compared to grass.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/34885088/grass-all-nfl-stadiums-safest-players

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CocoaNuts
Jun 12, 2020
What are the arguments AGAINST grass?

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

if they use grass in there i can't sm0ke that one

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

CocoaNuts posted:

The owners make less money from their tax funded stadiums.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

I assume some domes were built without the ability to roll the field out and let the sun in to grow grass so you’d need a bunch of UV lights or some poo poo.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

they use a lot of radiation in the casting of the extra hardened floors of these gigantic stadiums. the stuff is designed to alter spectator dna and mutate their offspring into being bigger fans of the home team. teh problem? can't grow grass On top of that poo poo

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

CocoaNuts posted:

The official answer in stadiums like US Bank (Vikings) is there's not enough light to grow grass and / or the stadiums are multi-purpose and hosting events like concerts or monster truck rally's would destroy natural grass. The real answer is that it's cheaper.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

CocoaNuts posted:

remember that Monday night game years ago with the Steelers and the Someone Else Who I Forgot where the field was so muddy that a punt didn't even bounce?

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

CocoaNuts posted:

owners dont maintain it and also they'll schedule some poo poo in on friday or saturday that'll ruin it for a sunday game

Borsche69 fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Oct 27, 2022

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Sash! posted:

remember that Monday night game years ago with the Steelers and the Someone Else Who I Forgot where the field was so muddy that a punt didn't even bounce?

the dolphins and yeah. also the bears and skins stadiums are both grass pieces of total dogass garbage. grass is better than turf, no doubt, but these fuckers need to actually spend time and money on upkeep.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
Who Cares honestly. look at Washington's field. grass isn't the best, turf is basically a wide receiver that can block a little

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

indigi posted:

Who Cares honestly. look at Washington's field. grass isn't the best, turf is basically a wide receiver that can block a little
The players seem to care

quote:

In a survey conducted by NFLPA regarding the use of turf vs. natural grass, nearly 93% of players listed artificial turf as an impediment to their careers, while 91% stated it made them feel more fatigued and sore.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Sash! posted:

The most beautiful bad game ever.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Is there a way to make turf safer? My guess is probably not, making it a little softer makes it less durable along with needing to be replaced more often?

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
What's more important...

Player health -OR- hosting a Tony Keith concert the Friday before a game?

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
all fields should be made of the 90s veterans stadium turf that Brian Billick refused to take the field during a preseason game cause the turf was such absolute poo poo and there were gaping holes of exposed concrete.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

Sash! posted:

This is an argument for grass fyi

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

a neat cape posted:

The players seem to care

may as well be wearing skirts at this point

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Remembering when the turf caught fire at a Rams / Steelers game

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.
you're thinking of natural gas

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

That Wendell Davis injury is burned into my brain.

CocoaNuts
Jun 12, 2020

indigi posted:

may as well be wearing skirts at this point

You forgot the sarcasm emoji.

CocoaNuts
Jun 12, 2020
The data supports the anecdotes you’ll hear from me and other players: artificial turf is significantly harder on the body than grass. Based on NFL injury data collected from 2012 to 2018, not only was the contact injury rate for lower extremities higher during practices and games held on artificial turf, NFL players consistently experienced a much higher rate of non-contact lower extremity injuries on turf compared to natural surfaces. Specifically, players have a 28% higher rate of non-contact lower extremity injuries when playing on artificial turf. Of those non-contact injuries, players have a 32% higher rate of non-contact knee injuries on turf and a staggering 69% higher rate of non-contact foot/ankle injuries on turf compared to grass.

https://nflpa.com/posts/only-natural-grass-can-level-the-nfls-playing-field

Matt Schaub, a former player who plans to run next March in the scheduled election for the next executive director of the NFLPA, texted, “there is no question that grass fields are preferable … players should have a say over the surface we play on.”

https://theathletic.com/3647564/2022/10/04/nfl-injury-grass-artificial-turf/

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

play the game on gravel or dirt like real men

CocoaNuts
Jun 12, 2020

razorscooter posted:

With land mines! Give us some real bang for our buck!

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

play it like this imo

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

razorscooter posted:

I recall reading about a game that was played on cement back in the 20s because they moved it indoors because of a blizzard.

I assume there were fatalities

It was 1932 and no one died although the smell of elephant poo poo on the playing surface caused a player to vomit

Sash! fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Oct 27, 2022

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

What's more important...

Player health -OR- hosting a Tony Keith concert the Friday before a game?

I mean, we can always breed more players but there's only one Tony Keith. The decision just kind of makes itself.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Soccer players absolutely loath turf and that the women (but not men) world cup or olympics or such had some turf fields was an issue

epic bacon
Sep 19, 2022

every stadium needs the same exact perfect field: insanely artificial mid-80s turf with a baseball diamond, regardless of whether a baseball team plays there or not

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.

epic bacon posted:

every stadium needs the same exact perfect field: insanely artificial mid-80s turf with a baseball diamond, regardless of whether a baseball team plays there or not

If the home team doesn't have an advantage because they know exactly where the pitcher's mound is, it's not football

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

CocoaNuts posted:

The teams cheap out on maintaining them and they end up looking like absolute hell. Happened to the Ravens when they had grass last and of course we remember the Steelers bad fields and also Washington with RGIII injury. So I like grass but if a team is going to just not bother to keep a good field then use the turf.

Really they should go to grass but have leaguewide standards for maintaining it that are real strict.

CocoaNuts
Jun 12, 2020

Kawalimus posted:

The teams cheap out on maintaining them and they end up looking like absolute hell. Happened to the Ravens when they had grass last and of course we remember the Steelers bad fields and also Washington with RGIII injury. So I like grass but if a team is going to just not bother to keep a good field then use the turf.

Really they should go to grass but have leaguewide standards for maintaining it that are real strict.

So if the majority of players and the union are hell-bent on playing on grass surfaces, why can't the union say, "Look, the players will kick in half of what it costs for proper field maintenance." The median salary in the NFL is close to $900,000, so if each player contributes a perfectly affordable $2,500 per season or something like that, it would surely cover the expenses with owners contributing an equal amount.

Win-win!

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.

CocoaNuts posted:

So if the majority of players and the union are hell-bent on playing on grass surfaces, why can't the union say, "Look, the players will kick in half of what it costs for proper field maintenance." The median salary in the NFL is close to $900,000, so if each player contributes a perfectly affordable $2,500 per season or something like that, it would surely cover the expenses with owners contributing an equal amount.

Win-win!

Because unions don't exist to compel workers to solve problems that ownership and management can easily afford to solve themselves.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

CocoaNuts posted:

Win-win!

The employer is responsible for providing a safe work environment for the employees. Employees shouldn’t have to pony up their own money to be safe at work. Besides all that, players are an investment to ownership. If owners want less injuries, they should put in grass to protect their investments.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Are all turfs universally still ultimately overlayed on concrete?

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Asproigerosis posted:

Are all turfs universally still ultimately overlayed on concrete?

Probably but also in the same way that the grass in the cardinals stadium is overlayed on steel and then concrete

CocoaNuts
Jun 12, 2020

Bird in a Blender posted:

The employer is responsible for providing a safe work environment for the employees. Employees shouldn’t have to pony up their own money to be safe at work. Besides all that, players are an investment to ownership. If owners want less injuries, they should put in grass to protect their investments.

A safe work environment? It's a sport where 200-375 lb men hurl their bodies at each other at top speed. Concussions are common and CTE is sometimes a reality by age 50. Somehow that doesn't scream safe work environment. But hey, if they can improve the turf...

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Lol let me tell you about Osha regulations, employer responsibility for safety, and covid: the pandemic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

there's not enough water.