Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Are the NFL teams actual responsible for the fields anyhow? Is it the Steelers fault that Pitt is the one that messed up the field?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.

CocoaNuts posted:

A safe work environment? It's a sport where 200-375 lb men hurl their bodies at each other at top speed. Concussions are common and CTE is sometimes a reality by age 50. Somehow that doesn't scream safe work environment. But hey, if they can improve the turf...

You're right, let's make the sport even more dangerous in exchange for absolutely no improvement to the game just for the sake of saving billionaires a few bucks.

Sash! posted:

Are the NFL teams actual responsible for the fields anyhow? Is it the Steelers fault that Pitt is the one that messed up the field?

If the teams own the stadium themselves, then yep.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

CocoaNuts posted:

A safe work environment? It's a sport where 200-375 lb men hurl their bodies at each other at top speed. Concussions are common and CTE is sometimes a reality by age 50. Somehow that doesn't scream safe work environment. But hey, if they can improve the turf...

Concussions and CTE are things the NFL has gotten a ton of poo poo for, has been sued over, and is actively trying to improve. So it seems like you’re making my point for me. If the NFL knows that something with the game is causing injuries, they have a duty to change things so the game is more safe without fundamentally changing the game.

Does the NFL want another lawsuit when it comes out they knew that turf was increasing lower body injuries and they did nothing to stop it?

CocoaNuts
Jun 12, 2020

Black Lighter posted:

You're right, let's make the sport even more dangerous in exchange for absolutely no improvement to the game just for the sake of saving billionaires a few bucks.

Find the post where I advocate making the sport more dangerous. I'll wait.

CocoaNuts
Jun 12, 2020

Bird in a Blender posted:

Concussions and CTE are things the NFL has gotten a ton of poo poo for, has been sued over, and is actively trying to improve. So it seems like you’re making my point for me. If the NFL knows that something with the game is causing injuries, they have a duty to change things so the game is more safe without fundamentally changing the game.

Does the NFL want another lawsuit when it comes out they knew that turf was increasing lower body injuries and they did nothing to stop it?

I don't know what the NFL wants other than more revenue. But they'll only make changes when they absolutely have their backs against the wall. That's been proven over and over again.

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.

CocoaNuts posted:

Find the post where I advocate making the sport more dangerous. I'll wait.

Turf is demonstrably more dangerous to play on than grass. If you're arguing to keep turf playing fields the way they are - while poo-poohing the idea that the sport can be made safer, no less - you're advocating for making the sport more dangerous than it needs to be. And again, for zero benefit to the game, the players and the viewers - the only people who benefit are the billionaires who own the teams and pocket the marginal costs of routine maintenance.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Black Lighter posted:

If the teams own the stadium themselves, then yep.

There's only four teams that own their stadiums.

If the field is a mess at Heinz Field because Pitt played Saturday night and the Steelers play at 1 on Sunday, how is that the Steelers fault and not, say, Pitt or the City of Pittsburgh?

CocoaNuts
Jun 12, 2020

Black Lighter posted:

Turf is demonstrably more dangerous to play on than grass. If you're arguing to keep turf playing fields the way they are - while poo-poohing the idea that the sport can be made safer, no less - you're advocating for making the sport more dangerous than it needs to be. And again, for zero benefit to the game, the players and the viewers - the only people who benefit are the billionaires who own the teams and pocket the marginal costs of routine maintenance.

You misunderstood. I never poo-poohed anything. I'd be in favor of moving to grass. That's why my second post in this tread openly asks what arguments exist against moving to a natural surface.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I don't know how you fix it on older stadiums but they should make a rule that any new stadium has to have a natural grass option. These teams have way too much money and we've got good enough technology that it should not be an issue.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
why doesn't every team have the sliding field like Arizona so they can just remove it for maintenance or concerts or whatever we

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

indigi posted:

why doesn't every team have the sliding field like Arizona so they can just remove it for maintenance or concerts or whatever we

Health care plz

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

indigi posted:

Would that work in Minnesota in the winter? Would the grass even grow if it's constantly getting moved in and out at that latitude?

I know grass works in similar cold winter places like Green Bay and Chicago, but those are all grass all the time, not the sliding field like Arizona.

edit: I had Buffalo here, but they are turf, as well as New England. Denver now has a grass surface and they started out as turf.

CannonFodder fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Oct 29, 2022

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

don't know, op

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Sash! posted:

remember that Monday night game years ago with the Steelers and the Someone Else Who I Forgot where the field was so muddy that a punt didn't even bounce?

I actually had this saved. What a beautiful thing:

Having all the PA high school football championships there the weekend before they played a rainy MNF game was awesome and we should do it every year.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
Was that Dolphin player ok, because it sure looks like his lower leg is bending the wrong way

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Grass, imo

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

For fairness, we should have at least one stadium try rear end or gas.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

One toke over the line sweet Jesus,
One toke over the line

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

don't know

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

yea ok posted:

don't know

CocoaNuts
Jun 12, 2020
Aaron Rodgers says yes to the question in the thread title.

Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers thinks it's time for the NFL to mandate that all games be played on natural grass surfaces, but he doesn't have high hopes that it will happen.

"No, honestly, I don't have a lot of confidence when it comes to the league making that decision without some sort of big vote and gripes from certain owners who don't want to spend the money," Rodgers said Tuesday.

This isn't the first time Rodgers has spoken out on player safety issues. He was against the NFL's expansion to 17 games in 2021.

"This to me is player safety," Rodgers said." [Expanding to 17 games] was about monetary gains, so this would be putting your money where your mouth is if player safety is important."

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/35033782/aaron-rodgers-go-all-grass-fields-nfl-player-safety

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Giants stadium had grass for a few years in the late 1990s and it was a disaster.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

davecrazy posted:

Giants stadium had grass for a few years in the late 1990s and it was a disaster.

I think it didn't help that the Metrostars were playing there too.

CocoaNuts
Jun 12, 2020
Well, it's something...

https://twitter.com/brgridiron/status/1593434390926790657

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

So they're replacing short plastic with longer plastic?

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

football in a field of reeds would be cool. probably have more rainbow passes and jumping. remember jordan reed?

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

All NFL stadiums should have a 12-inch layer of snow as their playing surface.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

proposal: the players issues with turf are all psychosomatic because athletes are universally superstitious crazy people who believe in things like chiropracty, acupuncture, cupping and wearing magical copper bracelets that make them feel "balanced"

CocoaNuts
Jun 12, 2020

Quiet Feet posted:

All NFL stadiums should have a 12-inch layer of snow as their playing surface.

Buffalo has REALLY overdone it, but way to be the trailblazers!

CocoaNuts fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Nov 20, 2022

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.

CocoaNuts posted:

Buffalo has REALLY overdone it, but way to be the trailblazers!

That lettering is surprisingly good.

Especially considering that the person who did this might be illiterate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

LargeHadron posted:

That lettering is surprisingly good.

Especially considering that the person who did this might be illiterate

Might?