Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Earwicker posted:

books and movies about cold war era submarine warfare are good entertainment

went to high school across from a shopping mall and on half days we'd all walk across the highway to the mall. one day, we let the nerdiest kid pick the movie and it was 13 days and that movie loving sucked and everyone was really mad

it was essentially a film about nothing happening

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.
The Hunt For Red October was a great movie.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I love big tiddies!

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
Sitting down to piss is better even if you don't have prostate cancer

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

Wearing a hat inside a nice restaurant is trashy and disrespectful.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
You should still vote even if you feel it's useless

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Batman should go back to fighting mobsters in pinstripe suits, instead of the poor and mentally ill

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

That loving Sned posted:

Batman should go back to fighting mobsters in pinstripe suits, instead of the poor and mentally ill

This predates baby boomers.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES
comic book films are dumb and for children, its embarrassing if you watch them as an adult.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Fiction of any kind is for children. Real adults read dictionaries and actuary records.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Dick Jones posted:

Wearing a hat inside is trashy and disrespectful.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

It’s free real estate

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

Holy Jesus, people were easily entertained back then. "Nothing like it! Hmmm static!"

LadyAmbien
Oct 22, 2015

Dick Jones posted:

And using your cellphone at the table while at one is also trashy. There, I said it. I feel dirty.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tarkus posted:

Fiction of any kind is for children. Real adults read dictionaries and actuary records.

I've only read technical books for a while now because that's more or less how I feel but unironically.

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

No one under the age of 40 should be allowed to post ITT.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Bargearse posted:

The Hunt For Red October was a great movie.

Never saw the movie but I did have the Hunt for Red October Game Boy game as a kid, which is just a confusing property to try and sell to children.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
At what age do Dads become fully submarinepilled? My parents had me pretty young, but I remember him telling me what an important piece of work Das Boot was when I was like 9 and thinking it looked like the most boring poo poo ever and can we not just hire Terminator 2 or Army of Darkness again. I'm a good bit older than he was then now and I can't think of a more boring setting than a submarine.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I don't think it is a universal. My dad has never shown signs of it.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Symphonic Power Metal and variants are absolutely the worst genre and the more the band takes itself seriously the worse it is. I can't imagine someone hearing Rhapsody of Fire and not cringing. "Ah yes this concept album about a fantasy plot worse than the worst videogame plot is great, I sure love midi". I am glad it exists because it prevented my metalhead phase from lasting more than a year and I give mad props to Sascha Paeth for his hustle, but good lord is it bad.

Also probably the people with highest degree of contempt for their fans behind anime convention organizers and onlyfans models. The few times I spoke with Kiko Loureiro it was very obvious he had no interest in it but had to make money so talking about dragons it was.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Elentor posted:

Symphonic Power Metal and variants are absolutely the worst genre and the more the band takes itself seriously the worse it is. I can't imagine someone hearing Rhapsody of Fire and not cringing. "Ah yes this concept album about a fantasy plot worse than the worst videogame plot is great, I sure love midi". I am glad it exists because it prevented my metalhead phase from lasting more than a year and I give mad props to Sascha Paeth for his hustle, but good lord is it bad.

Also probably the people with highest degree of contempt for their fans behind anime convention organizers and onlyfans models. The few times I spoke with Kiko Loureiro it was very obvious he had no interest in it but had to make money so talking about dragons it was.

I'm not sure if I'd call that a boomer opinion - metal stopped with Deep Purple for them, if they acknowledge it all - but I agree.

Some of this is veering into general unpopular opinions, but I suppose bemoaning the sanctity of music subgenres can be boomery, so I'll add this:

Post-metal is the silliest poo poo. Metal is like the music world's superhero comics, just let people have fun with it, most people can't write Watchmen or whatever. Just do songs about war or dragons or hating your dad that are fun to headbang to.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Elentor posted:

Nobody actually likes Rush, they just like being a weird superior nerd about literally everything and patronizingly explaining to you how you’re supposed to like something that actually sucks rear end to listen to because it’s complicated to play.

Take your lovely ABAB lyrical construction, stupid guitar solos, and dumbass time signatures and shove it up your rear end Rush fans.

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

DeadlyMuffin posted:

Wearing a hat inside is trashy and disrespectful.

I’ll probably leave my hat on inside a supermarket or a fast food chain. If there’s waiters and silverware, the hat must come off.

LadyAmbien posted:

And using your cellphone at the table while at one is also trashy. There, I said it. I feel dirty.

The one exception is when the restaurant lets you pay by scanning a QR code on the bill. But even then, it must be done quickly and discreetly. If you’re just randomly texting/talking at the table for non-critical reasons you might as well be Tom Green yelling about Helsinki and Geneva.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Elentor posted:

What's your take on The Body?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWrBV6tfNC4

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Elentor posted:

Symphonic Power Metal and variants are absolutely the worst genre and the more the band takes itself seriously the worse it is. I can't imagine someone hearing Rhapsody of Fire and not cringing.

lol this isn't a boomer opinion, they have no idea wtf "symphonic power metal" is.

if you can recognize any subgenres of metal beyond "heavy metal" and "the kind with the growling" you have completely left boomer territory.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

Prof. Crocodile posted:

Modern movies have too much pitch black, and it's hard for me to see what's going on. <:mad:>
This is because your TV sucks, mine was only $420 and is like 4 years old, but one of the first things I did was watch that one extremely dark game of thrones episode on it to compare and you could finally actually tell what was going on (although it was still pretty dark)

My current computer monitor fared no better than my old TV so I am in the market for that now as well.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Elentor posted:

There is good metal tho. I agree with you about all of that terrible metal tho.

Dr. Gojo Shioji
Apr 22, 2004

If you are wearing a suit jacket, sportcoat, or blazer, you should be wearing a collared shirt underneath it. It is impossible to respect an adult who wears graphic tees under suit jackets, regardless of what it is they are presenting, being interviewed about, etc.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Dr. Gojo Shioji posted:

If you are wearing a suit jacket, sportcoat, or blazer, you should be wearing a collared shirt underneath it. It is impossible to respect an adult who wears graphic tees under suit jackets, regardless of what it is they are presenting, being interviewed about, etc.

On this subject, I really dislike the trend of politicians wearing a blazer with an opened collar shirt and no tie. It looks unprofessional to me.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

This is way outside what I understand as music for me to have any take or opinion on. I listen to like, funk carioca, electro-swing and trip-hop.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Gf and I slowly have been shifting necklaces to ties no matter the outfit. Once the transformation is complete we'll be going to beaches wearing ties.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

I don't know how anyone can relate to celebrities. Anyone who's been rich and famous for most of their lives has forgotten what it's like to be normal.

The only backlash I've seen was when a bunch of celebrities went on holiday to a tropical island together when the rest of the world was just entering lockdown. What they were doing was no longer aspirational, but flat-out impossible for their fans. But they've always acted that way.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Objectively perfect music.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

This is because your TV sucks, mine was only $420 and is like 4 years old, but one of the first things I did was watch that one extremely dark game of thrones episode on it to compare and you could finally actually tell what was going on (although it was still pretty dark)

My current computer monitor fared no better than my old TV so I am in the market for that now as well.

There were like two solid full episodes of the latest game of thrones prequel show that were nearly impossible to see anything, and I’m on a 2017 OLED.

I swear it’s a cost savings thing, Like oh poo poo we don’t have budget for every episode, uh make one of them at night and we can save 1.4 mil on not rendering the backgrounds because people won’t see poo poo!!

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES

That loving Sned posted:

I don't know how anyone can relate to celebrities. Anyone who's been rich and famous for most of their lives has forgotten what it's like to be normal.

People put way too much value on celebrities and it is quite loving bizarre. I'm not sure why there is an expectation that people who want to been this incredibly vain, status driven, attention seeking, high pressure industry are anything but assholes or frankly why anybody loving cares if they are or not.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

Nuts and Gum posted:

There were like two solid full episodes of the latest game of thrones prequel show that were nearly impossible to see anything, and I’m on a 2017 OLED.

I swear it’s a cost savings thing, Like oh poo poo we don’t have budget for every episode, uh make one of them at night and we can save 1.4 mil on not rendering the backgrounds because people won’t see poo poo!!

the GoTs prequel one was because they were shooting day for night and trying to save money but I also don't know how that made it through production after that GoT episode that was just 50 minutes of staring at a pitch black screen without somebody bringing up that they took a lot of poo poo for that

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.
Rock and roll is good, and also not dead.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Buce posted:

Nellis air force base is a good, defensible base of operations.

Just wanted to say I got this.
Lol.

RDM
Apr 6, 2009

I LOVE FINLAND AND ESPECIALLY FINLAND'S MILITARY ALLIANCES, GOOGLE FINLAND WORLD WAR 2 FOR MORE INFORMATION SLAVA UKRANI
If your job is social media you don't have a real job. Don't tell me about your stupid fake job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

Dr. Gojo Shioji posted:

I used to wear blazer/collared shirt/jeans a lot in the 2000s until I looked back and realized I looked like Affable Catalog Guy. Since then I’ve had cold feet about dressing up in a blazer & tie. It feels like I’m radiating “sports bar guy” or “personal injury lawyer” vibes.