Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I have stopped shopping in places where the bullshit self check out is on a hair trigger as it weighs your bag like it's a customs inspection.

gently caress it I'll spend 10% and shop in the nice posh place where you aren't treated like a criminal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.
The internet sucks.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
Video games are, by and large, bad for you. I also spent a fair chunk of my adopescence to early 30s playing a lot of video games, and most of them were forgettable time fillers that would have been better spent almost any other way, and while I don't think they caused depression, I was certainly depressed while playing them.

Most absurdly, I even spent time and anxiety making sure I was "caught up" with the latest games.

I don't think they're uniformly bad. I'd say my time spent with Castlevania:SotN, Resident Evil 2, Dark Souls or Disco Elysium, for example, was time I spent genuinely having fun. And most multiplayer stuff with friends was time well spent. But there's no way I actually "enjoyed" Fallout 3 or Need for Speed Underground 2 or whatever.

I wouldn't go as full boomer as to say "video games bad", but calling them a hobby and playing more than about 3 a year is an embarrassing waste of life.

Edit: 3 big ones, that is. Play Wordle while waiting for the bus or whatever all you want.

pablo gbscobar posted:

James Bond should only ever be played by a white man.

The truly smart thing to do is make a James Bond movie where he's still a white man but clearly an embarrassing loving dinosaur spawned from a dead empire grasping for relevance. That's way more woke than whatever the plan likely is.

Disco Pope fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Oct 28, 2022

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I hate jumbo phones!! An iPhone mini is an appropriate phone size and should be the default.

I'm not listening to podcasts or TED talks either

Dr.D-O
Jan 3, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
I really do prefer reading an actual book to reading one on my kindle. I wouldn't say it's objectively better, though. I am aware that it's just because I have an emotional attachment to the physicality of books.

Dr.D-O
Jan 3, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Disco Pope posted:

Video games are, by and large, bad for you. I also spent a fair chunk of my adopescence to early 30s playing a lot of video games, and most of them were forgettable time fillers that would have been better spent almost any other way, and while I don't think they caused depression, I was certainly depressed while playing them.

Most absurdly, I even spent time and anxiety making sure I was "caught up" with the latest games.

I don't think they're uniformly bad. I'd say my time spent with Castlevania:SotN, Resident Evil 2, Dark Souls or Disco Elysium, for example, was time I spent genuinely having fun. And most multiplayer stuff with friends was time well spent. But there's no way I actually "enjoyed" Fallout 3 or Need for Speed Underground 2 or whatever.

I feel the same way. I've begun to think of video games as disposable entertainment, like a theme park ride. They are fun but don't usually have a lasting impact on me.

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Quoth the Raven "I love the power glove. It's so bad..."
malt liquor should only be in 40 ounces and not seltzers like white claw

dating on apps isnt very fun

i miss dvds and the giant tv home centers where you put them

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

cgi sux give me a physical setting or puppet

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

affirmative action in colleges is good its probably how i got in and im sad younger minorities wont have this benefit

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

EvilBlackRailgun posted:

Sports cars should only come with manual transmissions

This is a hill I'm willing to die on, I don't care if DCTs are technically better because they're less fun.

Internet was better before it was filled up with people and ads/tracking. Most webpages loaded faster on dialup then they do now.

Windows is harder to use than ever and Linux got way easier.

E: Almost forgot to complain about music, not much good new music coming out lately. The Who said rock is dead a little early but they're right by now.

SpeedFreek fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Oct 28, 2022

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Yaldabaoth posted:

I miss video rental stores.

I miss videotape rental stores not much, I miss DVD rental stores more, you didn't need to rustle up a friend with a second VCR if you liked a rented movie a lot.

BigBadSteve fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Oct 28, 2022

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

I worked as a film projectionist in college just before digital projection became affordable for theaters. We chuckled as our manager pooh-poohed it as "The George Lucas TV show". And digital is far more convenient from a quality preservation and distribution perspective, but dammit, I miss film in film.

Also, if given the chance, I am paying in cash.

Writing longhand with paper and pen does wonders in organizing your thoughts. I recommend doing it lots.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

TV rots your brain. they warned us but were unable to escape the peril themselves.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Canuckistan posted:

If you're not 15 minutes early then you're late.

I don't QUITE agree, but I do think that if you have an appointment at a specific time, you are late if you're not already there.

Ortho
Jul 6, 2021

The cheapness of digital photography makes people careless, both in taking pictures that probably had no reason to be taken and in losing pictures that should have been preserved. I do see a digital dark age in the future as non-physical media is so easily lost.

The Internet was both better and worse in the '90s. Worse in that there was much less of it and it was much more scattered and difficult to find, but better in that it hadn't reverted back to walled gardens where a small handful of corporations control the vast majority of the content. Social media was a poison.

Ordinary software has no business calling home and even less being subscription-based. Your simple, dumbass game that you made in a day or two and in previous decades would have been a free Flash game is not worth any money. In fact, let's extend that: your hobbies do not need to generate a profit. Patreon and YouTube profit sharing were also poisons.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

bossy lady posted:

i fuckin love applebees

Chili’s is better:burger:

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

i'm not sure if it's a boomer opinion or if boomers have become the problem now, but kids should be allowed to roam free on halloween trick or treating at strangers' homes late into the night

none of this going to the mall or strip mall parking lot at 4 pm trunk or treating bullshit :colbert:

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
getting married while in your 20s isn’t a bad idea, you’re just naive and happy enough that it might work. You simply know too much by the time you hit 40.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Things are somehow better than they've ever been but also worse than they've ever been

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.
Treating sex as a sacred act to save for and share with a person you care deeply about is probably better for the human psyche than participating in hookup culture, which is a great way to get cynical and jaded

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

pencilhands posted:

Life was better before smartphones and social media

Even other tech stuff that seems like an unquestionable improvement isn't. Online shopping just creates more waste and causes people to impulse buy stupid poo poo, gig culture exploits people, spread of information also spreads disinformation, stuff like GPS takes away our navigation skills. Virtually everything everything is either worse or a wash because of technology. It just feels better in the moment to have things done for us.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver
Physical media is a purchase, digital/streaming media is a rental and is an inferior model. Likewise, I will never pay a subscription fee for software (looking at you, Adobe).

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Bad Purchase posted:

i'm not sure if it's a boomer opinion or if boomers have become the problem now, but kids should be allowed to roam free on halloween trick or treating at strangers' homes late into the night

none of this going to the mall or strip mall parking lot at 4 pm trunk or treating bullshit :colbert:
Agreed, and it must happen on actual Halloween!

I was shocked and horrified to learn that in my grandma's neighborhood -- in makeup and layout, absolutely wonderful for trick-or-treating -- kids always go the weekend before Halloween, and during daylight, like 2 to 6. How can you even call that trick-or-treating???

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

I miss when reality wasn't a more miserable technological hellscape than anything William Gibson put out in his cyberpunk phase.

We don't have a lot of the fun tech like cyborg body conversions and fun biotech.

Instead, we have crypto and ai art, no social safety net, and corporate surveillance. Right wingers sure are fine with the tv watching you, if it's for a corporation.

If I ever come across any researchers who worked on things like Dall-E, I'm going to go to jail because I won't be able to restrain myself from screaming full in their face, demanding if they ever actually thought about the ramifications of their work. It's ok to literally steal artists work to feed a machine that I know for a fact certain companies are rubbing their little groins in anticipation for? Ai art isn't even near perfect, but it's, very soon, going to be "good enough" to show some suit for project approvals.

You think the time saved on concept art to appease slimeballs is going to be given to actual artists to perfect a project, instead of used as an excuse to gently caress them over? No. That's what would happen if anyone had sense.

I'm never going to be obsolete, but gently caress if they aren't trying.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
The Knight Sabers must be destroyed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrATMdEsr1I

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Toxic Mental posted:

Things are somehow better than they've ever been but also worse than they've ever been

Yay for indoor plumbing & not getting acid poured on me when I go swimming, but boo pandemics & student loan debt

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

Serious_Cyclone posted:

Physical media is a purchase, digital/streaming media is a rental and is an inferior model. Likewise, I will never pay a subscription fee for software (looking at you, Adobe).

This is also me.

I went from teaching and tutoring Adobe products to a simp for Affinity and Resolve

sex excellence
Feb 19, 2011

Satisfaction Guranteed

kntfkr posted:

They shouldn't have cancelled Navaho.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkGtGt1L6iU

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
I want to climb on top of a church roof and drench passers-by with great quantities of urine, staling away like the mannekin-pis himself

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
jay leno is extremely hilarious

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

I will never recognize missouri as a state.

I also have to say that the financialization of everything as well as the gig economy really sucks. Secondly the transfer of pensions into 401ks is also really loving terrible.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
Whatever the gently caress is going on with file structures these days sucks

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Folders are for old people, just search the big pile and burn cycles on it.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
I believe that writing a curse upon a tablet of lead or papyrus, exhuming a corpse, and placing that curse in the grave I have disturbed can be an efficacious means of pursuing revenge against my enemies; but I also believe that the curse must be accompanied by libations and burnt offerings to the corpse, and amidst the words of the curse must also be written prayers to various gods and spirits that are appeals for protection, lest the curse rebound upon me and the cadaver whose rest I have interrupted visit me with misfortune

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
I believe that, biologically considered, there is survival value to the disgust expressed with regard to scatophagy. No normal person can eat feces or any other excrement as a natural part of the diet, since such excrements have already been digested--that is why they have excreted from the system--and contain no further nourishment for the organism. Animals, such as dogs, which do eat feces (right before coming to lick their master's face, as the not-very-jesting folk-phrase observes), are in that sense perverted by their biological history, since their carnivorous past requires them to go through the motions of hunger even when not hungry, and upon obviously unsuitable objects and substances.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
I believe that an important element in the embarrassment of the fart, whether accepted as a disgrace or refused, is its sexual relevance: its symbolic replacing of intercourse in the standard 'cloacal theory' of children, recollected in the myth of the Annunciation.

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.
Hey uh, lighten up. We were just messing around

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

yeah!

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
i not only accord with the principle set forth in the penitental: "credidisti quod quidam credere solent, ut illae quae a uulgo parcae uocantur, ipsae, uel sint, uel possint hoc facere quod credentur; id est dum aliquis homo nascitur, et tunc ualeant illum designare ad hoc quod uelint ut quandocunque ille homo uoluerit, in lupum transformari possit quod teutonica werewulff uocatur, aut in aliam aliquam figuram? Si credidisti, quod unquam fieret aut esse possit, ut diuina imago in aliam formam aut in speciem transmutari possit ab aliquot, nisi ab omipotente Deo, decem dies in pane et aqua debes poenitere," but i think that the punishment should be more severe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Kids probably shouldn’t touch weed until they’re 25. Give the brain some time to settle in and then you can destroy it.