Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

copy
Jul 26, 2007

Evil Eagle posted:

rank 1 on the leaderboards for expert mode after my plat trophy playthrough lol.

yes. and you can probably already buy it

god drat grats

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Evil Eagle posted:

I turned on naive angel mode for shits and giggles and lol at this part of chapter 3

https://twitter.com/dinominal/status/1587910013565403137

lmao

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Evil Eagle posted:

I turned on naive angel mode for shits and giggles and lol at this part of chapter 3

lmao

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Evil Eagle posted:

Lol awesome

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Evil Eagle posted:

lol

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Evil Eagle posted:

Lol

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I'm taking my first playthrough slowly to savour it and it's still kicking rear end. It maybe has slightly too many gimmick stages but they break things up.

I might just start skipping the story altogether, I know it doesn't really matter and I'm going to play the game a million times anyway but man it's gone from fun stupid like 1 and 2 to actively lovely in a non-fun way lol. Whose idea was all this Luka stuff

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I think there's still fun-stupid in spades but the plot itself is disconnected and not very good by virtue of being a multiverse story. I like the last 2 alternative universe Bayonettas more than the others, I thought they both had a decent spin on the "predetermined" universe falling apart stuff.

Dunno how far you are so I won't talk about Luka but his stuff doesn't rub me any sort of way for various reasons

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Lol chucking darts at the flying V :cool:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

viola is really fun to play as and the weird jeanne level was cool too. i appreciate how varied this game is w/o any of it feeling annoying, so far. just a wicked blend of fun ideas

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

In Training posted:

viola is really fun to play as and the weird jeanne level was cool too. i appreciate how varied this game is w/o any of it feeling annoying, so far. just a wicked blend of fun ideas

There's a lot more gimmick verses than any other bayo but none of them take up a whole chapter and most of them are actually pretty fun. I can only think of a couple I don't like having to replay

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Evil Eagle posted:

There's a lot more gimmick verses than any other bayo but none of them take up a whole chapter and most of them are actually pretty fun. I can only think of a couple I don't like having to replay

Yeah and from my experience on standard the scoring for those segments seems extremely generous so even if I was a platinum chaser or w/e they probably would be fine on replays.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

do bewitchments do anything at all.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

In Training posted:

do bewitchments do anything at all.

No they're just achievements. I've tried to look up what the other million collectibles do but Google doesn't work any more so I just grab whatever seems easily reached.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

No they're just achievements. I've tried to look up what the other million collectibles do but Google doesn't work any more so I just grab whatever seems easily reached.

all the collectables are described in the in-game glossary books

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

The cards, figures and records add concept art, 3d models and music to the gallery, the tears of blood you get from animals unlock short bonus levels, and the medallion fragments or w/e unlock a short bonus boss

the rest are just health/magic upgrades, crafting materials and Lore

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

elf help book posted:

this as well

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Has anybody ever crafted in these games. I can't even parse the menu even if I wanted to use items

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

elf help book posted:

Reading those is too much effort.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

In Training posted:

Has anybody ever crafted in these games. I can't even parse the menu even if I wanted to use items

It was a bewitchment in 2 so I rotated sticks for 5 minutes, havent even looked at the menu in this game lol

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

i make the bells when one of my materials is full but also because it was a bewitchment in 2 and a bottlecap in 101 so i just assume im supposed to

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

i wasnt a fan of the train until it suddenly clicked. every level has a gameplay theme and a bunch of throwaway mechanics that are a lot of fun

im really bad at finding the secret bonus rounds in this

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

violas unlockable moves are cool

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

There are some weird design decisions with enemies in this game. Bayo 1 and 2 had really good sound cues for their attacks whereas I feel like a lot of the bigger foes in this are almost silent and I keep eating poo poo when I can't keep up with the amount of visual noise on screen. Also they just routinely attack from offscreen which just feels bad, I get that you could probably cheese a lot of 1/2 enemies by keeping them off screen but who cares, that's just another method of crowd control.

These are pretty minor issues, overall I like the combat more than 2, demon slave/wink slave is much better than umbral climax. I'm still getting used to Viola, her parries feel a bit weird and i dont like being unable to block at all when her katana is thrown out or Chesire is on screen, but I think I'm trying to play her as Bayonetta and it wants me to be more methodical

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

lmfao at gigaton Bayonetta blowing bubbles at sun wukong clones this game is all over the place

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

In Training posted:

lmfao at gigaton Bayonetta blowing bubbles at sun wukong clones this game is all over the place

I managed throughout the intro cutscene and button prompts but lost it at the tutorial menu being titled "Bubbles for a Naughty Monkey!"

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I managed throughout the intro cutscene and button prompts but lost it at the tutorial menu being titled "Bubbles for a Naughty Monkey!"

lol

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

goddamn the chainsaw is slow and I cannot chain dodge offsets with it for some reason, the timing feels weird. It's no salamandra

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

fighting huge enemies feels like a total mess in this which i dont remember being a problem in 2

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

extremebuff posted:

fighting huge enemies feels like a total mess in this which i dont remember being a problem in 2

the camera is not up to the task a lot of the time especially when you're Viola and can't tell if you're able to parry or if your sword is off doing a cartwheel somewhere

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Skill issue.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

In Training posted:

Skill issue.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

In Training posted:

Skill issue.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

In Training posted:

Skill issue.

Lol

extremebuff posted:

there's way less massive enemies in 2, the one truly huge one that you fight without a gimmick like the umbran armor you can barely see its attack animations

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The only enemy I haven't liked fighting so far is the first phase of the monkey boss. Unless I just fundamentally misunderstood how that fight was supposed to work it just seemed like a lot of off screen flailing and very few opportunities to actually damage it

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

In Training posted:

The only enemy I haven't liked fighting so far is the first phase of the monkey boss. Unless I just fundamentally misunderstood how that fight was supposed to work it just seemed like a lot of off screen flailing and very few opportunities to actually damage it

I think you blow the bubbles to get him to stick in place and then get a prompt to slap him. It was not super clear but I somehow got a platinum even though I was just mashing buttons and swaying my cursor everywhere.

On Chapter 11 and it's fully sick, the game is much more fun when you're not fighting the new homunculus enemies who are a bit boring imo. The alfheim at the start of chapter 10 (Witch Time only with Viola) was horrible, I managed to get a silver with Moon and that's all it's getting, I'm not doing it again. Is there any mechanical difference between Viola's parry and the Moon parry? If not I'm just going to keep using the latter and trying to train my muscle memory since I can use it with Bayonetta too

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I think you blow the bubbles to get him to stick in place and then get a prompt to slap him. It was not super clear but I somehow got a platinum even though I was just mashing buttons and swaying my cursor everywhere.

On Chapter 11 and it's fully sick, the game is much more fun when you're not fighting the new homunculus enemies who are a bit boring imo. The alfheim at the start of chapter 10 (Witch Time only with Viola) was horrible, I managed to get a silver with Moon and that's all it's getting, I'm not doing it again. Is there any mechanical difference between Viola's parry and the Moon parry? If not I'm just going to keep using the latter and trying to train my muscle memory since I can use it with Bayonetta too

I meant before the transformation scene, when you fight him in the square castle floor with lava as it jumps around the walls and like swings huge fists just across the screen.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

In Training posted:

I meant before the transformation scene, when you fight him in the square castle floor with lava as it jumps around the walls and like swings huge fists just across the screen.

Oh in that ine I think you're supposed to knock him down with the spider web but yeah I never really felt like I got the hang of it properly.

Also lmfao the chapter 12 end fight. This game rules

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

finally beat it. first bayonetta game and it was excellent. now I gotta go back and get the unlocks :henget:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

beat the game now and I have absolutely no idea who the villain was or why Luka is now a werewolf and also the king of the fairies. It's weird that Viola is just Nero again and I don't really know why she's in the game, but hopefully Bayo 4 will redeem her like DMC5 did Nero. Whatever.

I'm glad Platinum had a good game left in them before they were forced to make gacha games forever, I'm going to replay this 100 times other than Level 10 Phase 1 which is horrible.