Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Game is great so far, only a chapter or two in. Demon slave seems fun so far but think I still have a couple of things to unlock for it. The more zoomed out view makes it sometimes a little difficult to keep track of everything when there's a lot going on in handheld but that'll come with time I'm sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Evil Eagle posted:

I've thoroughly scoured each level looking for collectibles and witch hearts/moon pearls and I've only missed a few verses so far, the optional verses seem way less dumb to trigger than they are in bayo 1 and 2 lol

I had 0 regret just looking those up in 2, they were really dumb and running back over the entire map wondering if a new fight had turned up in room 3 back right corner just in case one appeared because I beat up a snake in room 13 was not really how I wanted to play a character action game

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Evil Eagle posted:

Get owned Captain Based.

There are barely any people on the rankings for expert mode lol. hopefully the game did ok

Nice

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I'm taking my first playthrough slowly to savour it and it's still kicking rear end. It maybe has slightly too many gimmick stages but they break things up.

I might just start skipping the story altogether, I know it doesn't really matter and I'm going to play the game a million times anyway but man it's gone from fun stupid like 1 and 2 to actively lovely in a non-fun way lol. Whose idea was all this Luka stuff

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

In Training posted:

do bewitchments do anything at all.

No they're just achievements. I've tried to look up what the other million collectibles do but Google doesn't work any more so I just grab whatever seems easily reached.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

elf help book posted:

all the collectables are described in the in-game glossary books

Reading those is too much effort.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

There are some weird design decisions with enemies in this game. Bayo 1 and 2 had really good sound cues for their attacks whereas I feel like a lot of the bigger foes in this are almost silent and I keep eating poo poo when I can't keep up with the amount of visual noise on screen. Also they just routinely attack from offscreen which just feels bad, I get that you could probably cheese a lot of 1/2 enemies by keeping them off screen but who cares, that's just another method of crowd control.

These are pretty minor issues, overall I like the combat more than 2, demon slave/wink slave is much better than umbral climax. I'm still getting used to Viola, her parries feel a bit weird and i dont like being unable to block at all when her katana is thrown out or Chesire is on screen, but I think I'm trying to play her as Bayonetta and it wants me to be more methodical

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

In Training posted:

lmfao at gigaton Bayonetta blowing bubbles at sun wukong clones this game is all over the place

I managed throughout the intro cutscene and button prompts but lost it at the tutorial menu being titled "Bubbles for a Naughty Monkey!"

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

goddamn the chainsaw is slow and I cannot chain dodge offsets with it for some reason, the timing feels weird. It's no salamandra

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

extremebuff posted:

fighting huge enemies feels like a total mess in this which i dont remember being a problem in 2

the camera is not up to the task a lot of the time especially when you're Viola and can't tell if you're able to parry or if your sword is off doing a cartwheel somewhere

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

In Training posted:

The only enemy I haven't liked fighting so far is the first phase of the monkey boss. Unless I just fundamentally misunderstood how that fight was supposed to work it just seemed like a lot of off screen flailing and very few opportunities to actually damage it

I think you blow the bubbles to get him to stick in place and then get a prompt to slap him. It was not super clear but I somehow got a platinum even though I was just mashing buttons and swaying my cursor everywhere.

On Chapter 11 and it's fully sick, the game is much more fun when you're not fighting the new homunculus enemies who are a bit boring imo. The alfheim at the start of chapter 10 (Witch Time only with Viola) was horrible, I managed to get a silver with Moon and that's all it's getting, I'm not doing it again. Is there any mechanical difference between Viola's parry and the Moon parry? If not I'm just going to keep using the latter and trying to train my muscle memory since I can use it with Bayonetta too

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

In Training posted:

I meant before the transformation scene, when you fight him in the square castle floor with lava as it jumps around the walls and like swings huge fists just across the screen.

Oh in that ine I think you're supposed to knock him down with the spider web but yeah I never really felt like I got the hang of it properly.

Also lmfao the chapter 12 end fight. This game rules

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

beat the game now and I have absolutely no idea who the villain was or why Luka is now a werewolf and also the king of the fairies. It's weird that Viola is just Nero again and I don't really know why she's in the game, but hopefully Bayo 4 will redeem her like DMC5 did Nero. Whatever.

I'm glad Platinum had a good game left in them before they were forced to make gacha games forever, I'm going to replay this 100 times other than Level 10 Phase 1 which is horrible.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Switching her controls to... I think D? definitely helped a bit, it changes her block to ZR.

The more I play the more unconvinced I am by her parry playstyle so I mostly just ignore it and go nuts with Chesire

E: using the weapon you unlock after clearing chapter 14 and it rules, so many good weapons in this game... might use this as my ranged option instead of abracadabra

Lunchmeat Larry fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Nov 14, 2022

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

elf help book posted:

i gave up for now on the train one driving it in a 3d space i dont get it

I eventually watched a video for that one and just sort of spammed making it jump. I don't know why you can make the train jump and can't think of a single other situation where that would be useful or necessary

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

The Viola witch time fixes were definitely needed and she plays much smoother now imo. It doesn't make it too easy or anything, it just makes witch time closer to what it is for the other characters and makes the risk:reward ratio much closer when it wasn't even really worth using before.

Haven't checked the Niflheim challenges because I don't care enough