Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer
My coworker friend and I are finally working on the same project at work, so we've been hanging out and pair programming! :hfive: (Well, mostly he just sits there and shows me art he's created with a NN, but I like to think he's lending critical moral support.)
We're supposed to implement some client-server thing using gRPC, which neither of us have used before. He mostly works in Python, so he sets up a test things with a proto file, which defines the interface between the client and server. It works.
So he hands me the Python program and the proto file, and I go to integrate it into our C++ software.
I take a look at his proto file and tell him that I think we should fix the namespace, so we do that, and I slap it into the C++ code and start building a client.
It finally compiles and I tell him to try pinging it. "Method not implemented." Huh. We try all kinds of things like changing the IP and the port, moving it around in the code, a bunch of stuff.
We waste two whole days or more on it. Same error.
I finally decide to look on StackOverflow even though it's such a vague error, and the first thing mentions namespaces. I suddenly have a flashback to the very beginning of this project, and realize that was the problem all along.
Two days of two people's work wasted.

But I'm sure this is child's play - What's the most of a company's manhours you've wasted on a single simple bug?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Y2K.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

To be fair, who could have predicted society would have lasted that long?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Shadow0 posted:

To be fair, who could have predicted society would have lasted that long?
Deciding to count seconds since 1970 happened because storing it as a 64bit integer wasn't easily doable on the PDP-7 - which if memory serves had 18 bits to a word, a physical address size of 15 bits, and a virtual address size of 13 bits.
Since then, there's been many a time when it's been possible to make the switch, had anyone bothered to have the slightest bit of foresight.

Unfortunately, that's not something human kind is particularly good at.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
In defense of humanity, the fixing of the Y2K bug is one of tech’s greatest and most under-appreciated triumphs.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Wasn't there some bug story recently where it was caused by the janitor plugging in the vacuum cleaner? or something? I freakin' love stories like that.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Deciding to count seconds since 1970 happened because storing it as a 64bit integer wasn't easily doable on the PDP-7 - which if memory serves had 18 bits to a word, a physical address size of 15 bits, and a virtual address size of 13 bits.
Since then, there's been many a time when it's been possible to make the switch, had anyone bothered to have the slightest bit of foresight.

Unfortunately, that's not something human kind is particularly good at.

That has nothing to do with Y2K though? You're talking about the Year 2038 problem with signed 32 bit integers on Unix. Y2K was Cobol storing years as two decimal digits e.g. '95', which is a completely different issue generally occurring on a completely different operating system.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

feedmegin posted:

That has nothing to do with Y2K though? You're talking about the Year 2038 problem with signed 32 bit integers on Unix. Y2K was Cobol storing years as two decimal digits e.g. '95', which is a completely different issue generally occurring on a completely different operating system.
You're right, I was conflating the two. orz

TheBlackVegetable
Oct 29, 2006

TheBlackVegetable fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Jan 6, 2024

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Pick any large government project ?

In the private sector I’ve seen Cisco struggle for 11 years on a router PIM multicast configuration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Once, when I was pretty much the youngest EE in the company, I was flown to Italy because in a customer's very specific system, around 2% of the time the full set of sensors would not turn on. The turn on process itself was a few minutes, and I had to work around other techs doing their own work.

Overall the trip went great. I didn't make any headway on the problem, but I got to see Rome for free.

For something approaching substance: The harder it is to reproduce a problem, the harder it is to fix.