Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013
Greetings. It's time for this quarter's feedback thread. Here you can tell us your thoughts on how D&D is going.

As always, you can give feedback by posting in the thread, PMing me, or you may post anonymously by PMing me the post and I'll make it for you.

D&D rules will be relaxed here somewhat, since we're talking about the forums rather than educational subjects, so citations will be less valuable than normal, and personal opinions will be more valuable. All I ask is that you continue to present your ideas with honesty as you would in normal D&D, and that you don't spam the thread, by which I mean posting the same thing repeatedly to increase its exposure at the expense of other posters. If you are having a real discussion of your feedback to clarify or rebut counterarguments to it you can do so for as many posts are needed. The rule of thumb is just to not post something in this thread you've already posted.

Unfortunately, you must refrain from posting here if you're forumbanned, and refrain from giving feedback about threads in which you're threadbanned. You can however PM me if you think it's been long enough and you'd like to appeal either one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

This one's for you Koos: Are you happy? When you look around at the work you've done in D&D are you proud of your efforts? Can you sit back and feel a sense of accomplishment, even if the work is never truly finished?

How is Koos doing?

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013

Nix Panicus posted:

This one's for you Koos: Are you happy? When you look around at the work you've done in D&D are you proud of your efforts? Can you sit back and feel a sense of accomplishment, even if the work is never truly finished?

How is Koos doing?

Yes, generally speaking based on the feedback, the day to day thread quality, and the behind the scenes metric of reports, D&D seems to be doing better than it was.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
1. It is very frustrating to see someone violate the rules, and instead of applying them, the mods proceed to ask the user questions and give them control of the thread for several pages. Every single time this happens, the only effect is to draw out the harm to discussion that the rule is supposed to prevent, and the original violator either a) gets probated anyway or b) they don't, and all people looking to poo poo up discussion get an object lesson in forms of discussion-making GBS threads that the mods will facilitate. When you do this, you are making moderation harder for yourselves in the future, and making the subforum less useable for everyone else.

2. It is not helpful to have an enumerated set of rules if mod actions then don't align with those rules. When non-joke probes or other actions don't make clear what rules they're violating it provides justification for the users complaining that moderation is inconsistent.
2a. Similarly, when it arises that mod action is needed that doesn't fall under the enumerated rules, the reason should say that this is the case, and the mods should explicitly confer (not necessarily publicly) about whether and how the rules can be revised to address that situation.
2b. Moderation policies and their rationale should be stated publicly in one place, and should not be announced ad hoc in the middle of arguments with users, in D&D or elsewhere. This also contributes to both the perception and the reality of inconsistent moderation.

Koos Group posted:

Yes, generally speaking based on the feedback, the day to day thread quality, and the behind the scenes metric of reports, D&D seems to be doing better than it was.

You should not use the number of reports as a metric of quality; Campbell's law applies. There are reasons for the report number to decline that don't have to do with things getting better. Users leaving, activity shrinking, and users being taught that reports will do nothing, will also cause the number of reports to drop. You need to start with what you believe the forum is supposed to be, and directly tie it to your evaluation of "quality," preferably with more explicit terms, and with prior identification of carveouts.

For example, if you believe that the subforum should be educational, then people asking more factual questions that get answered can be a sign of healthy discourse, and that standard can be explicitly exclusive of people asking rhetorical questions intended to derail discussion. I could give a big rant about functional form here, but unless you think that "quality of the subforum" is inherently a number, you should treat numeric measures with skepticism- you'll tend to overvalue them.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Oct 29, 2022

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Koos Group posted:

I'm just happy you're having fun.

What are the issues you think are most in need of addressing Koos? What projects and wishes do you have in store?

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
I've noticed a trickle of folks whose gimmick is vacuous or shallow questions - not even hostile JAQ-ing off, but just a stream of simple questions or confused naïveté - in order to either get a rise out of thread regulars, or to crowd out headline-driven thread interest when the news cycle is embarrassing to their favourite authoritarians

(the contrived ignorance can be readily detected by clicking Post History and observing the posts in the other forum)

So without naming names, I'd like to specifically praise the recent mod activity to call out and enforce threadbans for this, which I feel has improved the D&D China thread noticeably

ronya fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Oct 29, 2022

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

ronya posted:

I've noticed a trickle of folks whose gimmick is vacuous or shallow questions - not even hostile JAQ-ing off, but just a stream of simple questions or confused naïveté - in order to either get a rise out of thread regulars, or to crowd out headline-driven thread interest when the news cycle is embarrassing to their favourite authoritarians

(the contrived ignorance can be readily detected by clicking Post History and observing the posts in the other forum)

So without naming names, I'd like to specifically praise the recent mod activity to call out and enforce threadbans for this, which I feel has improved the D&D China thread noticeably

Great example of this: The poster directly above you. I don't want to read fake sycophantic questions in a feedback thread (if this is indeed supposed to be serious - no idea these days.)

Contributions::

1. QCS is an FYAD-lite and a joke. Either this needs to be fixed or D&D mods (anyone, really) need to stop referring people to it when they don't want to address an issue themselves.

2. Rigid application of rules against "posting about posters" is too blunt (see the Ukraine thread). It needs to be possible to refer to what someone does as an example for a certain behavior/logic or other things. I'm not seeing how rule IIC1 is needed when there's already rule IC1.

(Also about the rules - if you have a subsection 1, you must have a subsection 2 (or more). If not, add it to the one above in the hierarchy.)

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
After a rocky few weeks with too much mod-intervention/trolling, it appears the mod team has backed off trying to enforce its vision of the forum on the regional threads where the thread consensus is that the thread is better when the mods stay away. So, good job staying out.

Mr. Smile Face Hat posted:

1. QCS is an FYAD-lite and a joke. Either this needs to be fixed or D&D mods (anyone, really) need to stop referring people to it when they don't want to address an issue themselves.
When did you last have a look? The forum has become more functional than ever in recent times. Admittedly it still suffers from the occasional trolling, usually by mods of all posters, but it generally manages to arrive at the right conclusion in the end. Obviously there are still issues that can't be solved in any venue, given that Jeffrey ultimately has to sign off on it and has made it perfectly clear he won't, but for everything else the system actually works.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

A Buttery Pastry posted:

When did you last have a look? The forum has become more functional than ever in recent times. Admittedly it still suffers from the occasional trolling, usually by mods of all posters, but it generally manages to arrive at the right conclusion in the end. Obviously there are still issues that can't be solved in any venue, given that Jeffrey ultimately has to sign off on it and has made it perfectly clear he won't, but for everything else the system actually works.

Thanks for confirming that it's useless. I've checked it out numerous times over the years. It's a branch of FYAD in which every legitimate concern gets ridiculed by a collection of mods, regulars and others and then inevitably the thread gets closed.

What I've seen earlier this year is that somebody who had a legitimate issue with seeing other posters deny genocides was dogpiled by people telling him to play Elden Ring instead of complaining. Another thing I saw is that the whole thing now has maybe 3 permanent threads that are completely anodyne.

Not seeing why anybody should waste time with this junk.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

You've done a fantastic job driving out many of the most passionate dissenting voices and creating an atmosphere where your superstar posters feel comfortable enough that they are exempt from punishment for digging up peoples' personal information and using it as a cudgel so silence them. May you reign for thousands of years!

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Same problem as ever, mods jumping into shitfests and applying one-sided moderation, presumably in favor of coward lurkers and morons who can't take even a taste of their own endless condescension.

But it's also gotten noticeably quieter lately

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
d&d is a better place since ive learned to love the madness

dont know if that's just me or not, but things looking up!

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Lib and let die posted:

You've done a fantastic job driving out many of the most passionate dissenting voices and creating an atmosphere where your superstar posters feel comfortable enough that they are exempt from punishment for digging up peoples' personal information and using it as a cudgel so silence them. May you reign for thousands of years!

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
I've basically stopped posting in D&D because it has become a weird echo chamber. I'm not a super leftist or anything, but the copium that goes on here is kinda pathetic at times.

Informed discussion is great, but blind ideological posting seems more like what it is now. People that think they are informed, but are ultimately just ignorant cheerleaders.

For reference I've been posting in D&D for almost 20 years. The current moderation decisions have really stifled discussion.

Let D&D be poo poo posty lite again

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Discendo Vox posted:

1. It is very frustrating to see someone violate the rules, and instead of applying them, the mods proceed to ask the user questions and give them control of the thread for several pages. Every single time this happens, the only effect is to draw out the harm to discussion that the rule is supposed to prevent, and the original violator either a) gets probated anyway or b) they don't, and all people looking to poo poo up discussion get an object lesson in forms of discussion-making GBS threads that the mods will facilitate. When you do this, you are making moderation harder for yourselves in the future, and making the subforum less useable for everyone else.

2. It is not helpful to have an enumerated set of rules if mod actions then don't align with those rules. When non-joke probes or other actions don't make clear what rules they're violating it provides justification for the users complaining that moderation is inconsistent.
2a. Similarly, when it arises that mod action is needed that doesn't fall under the enumerated rules, the reason should say that this is the case, and the mods should explicitly confer (not necessarily publicly) about whether and how the rules can be revised to address that situation.
2b. Moderation policies and their rationale should be stated publicly in one place, and should not be announced ad hoc in the middle of arguments with users, in D&D or elsewhere. This also contributes to both the perception and the reality of inconsistent moderation.

You should not use the number of reports as a metric of quality; Campbell's law applies. There are reasons for the report number to decline that don't have to do with things getting better. Users leaving, activity shrinking, and users being taught that reports will do nothing, will also cause the number of reports to drop. You need to start with what you believe the forum is supposed to be, and directly tie it to your evaluation of "quality," preferably with more explicit terms, and with prior identification of carveouts.

For example, if you believe that the subforum should be educational, then people asking more factual questions that get answered can be a sign of healthy discourse, and that standard can be explicitly exclusive of people asking rhetorical questions intended to derail discussion. I could give a big rant about functional form here, but unless you think that "quality of the subforum" is inherently a number, you should treat numeric measures with skepticism- you'll tend to overvalue them.

lmao

So basically you want to be a mod and the sole poster in this forum because you think you're always right and smarter than everyone else

You are actually one of the dumbest and most arrogant and condescending assholes on this or any other forum and this place would be a million times better for actual debate and discussion if you and evilweasel were forum banned

So that's my feedback. Forum bans for this delusional poindexter and his idiot doppelganger evilweasel. They're not nearly as smart as they want everyone else to think they are and all they do is whine about strictly enforced rules which just happen to align with the idea that their posts should never be challenged by anyone

It should also no longer be against the rules to be mean to people like them because they deserve it for trying to be the main characters of this forum and dictate how everyone else should follow their rules and posting style. They're also constantly wrong and anyone who points that out with a sarcastic joke gets probated and that's bullshit

We're adults here, not in high school debate club and we should be able to post like adults instead of walking on :decorum: eggshells so that we don't bruise this rules-obsessed dweeb's fragile little ego

I also still maintain that Koos being in charge is some kind of long con troll on this forum to try to make it as miserable for everyone as possible and I want to call that out again just in case anyone forgot. I don't believe anything he says and every post he makes just looks like any other fyad style fakepost dressed up in fake decorum

Things were great for a short while after he took over but in the last few months nobody but the echo chamber liberals want to post in CE and I'm sure DV and EW love it because there's a lot less people to tell them they're wrong. I don't know if it was one of those two guys but lib and let die got doxxed because he dared push back on and make fun of democrats and if democrat supporters get to run this show by constantly spamming reports and whining to mods when they don't get their way then this place will be nothing but a liberal support group that doxxes people for correctly making GBS threads all over their demonstrable failure of an ideology. And it wouldn't surprise me if that same psycho tries to doxx me for making this very post. Stop coddling and sheltering these centrist nutjobs

And now I'm sure Koos is laughing and saying "mission accomplished" after reading this. Helluva job. You got a "meltdown". Congrats

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
Also D&D needs a stylesheet.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

:hai:

Bishyaler
Dec 30, 2009
Megamarm
It's been an amazing experiment in practice. You've found the conditions to end all debate in DnD.

But the most obnoxious users got exactly what they wanted, a place where everyone has to treat them as the smartest person in the room.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Koos post the metrics

Bear Enthusiast
Mar 20, 2010

Maybe
You'll think of me
When you are all alone

Discendo Vox posted:

... people asking rhetorical questions intended to derail discussion.

Complaints like this make threads tedious and annoying to read. If these posters you think are actively sabotaging the thread continually aren't punished to your liking, maybe you're reading a lot of weird intent into their posts that isn't there. Maybe they disagree with you and/or think you're a huge condescending rear end in a top hat? Neither of those things are against the rules.

It's weird paranoid nonsense.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Discendo Vox posted:

My feedback is that nobody should ever listen to this twerp. Everything they post is this kind of pseudo-intellectual verborrheic nonsense. Every time they get in an argument with someone, they immediately attack the other person as "making GBS threads up the discussion" (I'm fairly certain that this is against the rules that DV wants to be strictly enforced). It's clear that they only want debate and discussion to occur within the narrow constraints that they deem acceptable. It's exhausting to try discussing anything with them, and it usually ends with a probation for the other person. If the mods really want D&D to be better and more open to discussion, then efforts should be made to get DV to stop domineering the conversation like this.

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...
Do an event where all posts are anonymous except to mods. Imagine trying to identify your posting enemies not by their handle, but by the content of their posts.

In all seriousness the recognized posting tendencies of some folks, and the lasting rivalries and resentments that follow are what allow simply disagreeing to turn into report spamming cheerleading and slap fights. Judging a post by who made it is helpful to shut down obvious trolls like h a u of course, but it sucks to see people reflexively go at each other's throats largely independently of context. Or just decide its not worth it to post in a thread about things that effect or at least interest them. Seems USPOL weed thread is more active than USCE these days.

Wait, no, actually we need to form a secret panel to assign people to teams based on their positions. Their affiliations will be reflected with color coded gang tags, and a running score will be kept factoring in number of reports/number of successful reports by or against them, solidarity amongst their team members,, and points will also be awarded for successful "owns" against opposing teams. The losing faction will be shamed and the winners get one million forum points.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Thanks for confirming that it's useless. I've checked it out numerous times over the years. It's a branch of FYAD in which every legitimate concern gets ridiculed by a collection of mods, regulars and others and then inevitably the thread gets closed.
The "FYAD" posters/regulars are definitely not aligned with the mods. Just because you don't get your way doesn't mean it's not working, and if you're posting poo poo that makes regulars actually agree with the mods then the problem is almost certainly on your end.

What I've seen earlier this year is that somebody who had a legitimate issue with seeing other posters deny genocides was dogpiled by people telling him to play Elden Ring instead of complaining.
Usually the OPs of those kinds of threads go in half-cocked, and completely fail to realize that QCS requires some degree of rhetoric* and an understanding that your audience isn't your usual posting crew. If you're a regular D&D poster, you should probably be grateful that it takes more to have a thread actually result in action, because there have been plenty of threads made by people who really hate D&D who might actually have had something of a point but likewise fumbled it.

*The most common flaws in people's opening arguments:
- Assuming everyone is intimately familiar with the topic, to the point that their post is sheer nonsense to outsiders
- Assuming QCS thread is basically just a super report, rather than an open forum where you're going to have to convince people from very different posting cultures
- Championing a stupid-rear end cause because you don't understand other posting cultures and completely misunderstood a post

To bring this back to the discussion of D&D, I realize now that there obviously is an issue here, given the cycles of weird grudge-threads between certain D&D and C-SPAM posters which has everyone else just pointing and laughing. Perhaps the mods should post a little guide for when they refer people to QCS, asking them if their post avoids the issues I outlined above? As is, it doesn't seem like there's a real functional outlet for escalating complaints, if a chunk of D&D posters have become so insular that they can't properly communicate with "outsiders" (Obviously the same applies to their C-SPAM counterparts).

Another thing I saw is that the whole thing now has maybe 3 permanent threads that are completely anodyne.
Threads get moved out of the forum when they're resolved, of course the threads that remain are the dull maintenance threads.

Fister Roboto posted:

My feedback is that nobody should ever listen to this twerp. Everything they post is this kind of pseudo-intellectual verborrheic nonsense. Every time they get in an argument with someone, they immediately attack the other person as "making GBS threads up the discussion" (I'm fairly certain that this is against the rules that DV wants to be strictly enforced). It's clear that they only want debate and discussion to occur within the narrow constraints that they deem acceptable. It's exhausting to try discussing anything with them, and it usually ends with a probation for the other person. If the mods really want D&D to be better and more open to discussion, then efforts should be made to get DV to stop domineering the conversation like this.
Definitely also this. I ventured out of the regional threads for a while, but decided it wasn't worth it the moment it became clear that certain posters are not actually subject to the rules of D&D. No one is going to want to put in effort discussing a topic when the other person is just going to be allowed to make poo poo up and not respond to your criticism of their position.

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013

2. Rigid application of rules against "posting about posters" is too blunt (see the Ukraine thread). It needs to be possible to refer to what someone does as an example for a certain behavior/logic or other things. I'm not seeing how rule IIC1 is needed when there's already rule IC1.

That does seem like it should be allowed, and I thought I implied such with the explanation of IIC. Could you link to the specific probation(s) in the Ukraine thread that concern you? Regardless, IIC and IC are technically different because you can be hostile toward someone without posting about them ("gently caress off") or post about someone without being hostile ("this contradicts what you said five years ago.")

(Also about the rules - if you have a subsection 1, you must have a subsection 2 (or more). If not, add it to the one above in the hierarchy.)

In cases where there's only one subsection, it's because there is one particular case of a guideline that people tend to violate more than others, but including it in the supersection might make it seem as if there are no others.

Lib and let die posted:

That is a very serious offense which I would recommend PMing me about in addition to reporting it to make sure it's dealt with as swiftly as possible. It goes above and beyond regular posting about posters and I don't tolerate it.

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Agreed.

Harold Fjord posted:

Koos post the metrics

Discussions: Scholarly.
Debate: Civil.
Liberals: Protected from criticism.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

To bring this back to the discussion of D&D, I realize now that there obviously is an issue here, given the cycles of weird grudge-threads between certain D&D and C-SPAM posters which has everyone else just pointing and laughing. Perhaps the mods should post a little guide for when they refer people to QCS, asking them if their post avoids the issues I outlined above? As is, it doesn't seem like there's a real functional outlet for escalating complaints, if a chunk of D&D posters have become so insular that they can't properly communicate with "outsiders" (Obviously the same applies to their C-SPAM counterparts).

We don't have a policy for this because it's not actually common to direct posters to QCS. Generally I tell my mods to direct them to PM me instead, since I have unlimited authority within D&D and serve as an appellate court for individual modding decisions. The only reason to go to QCS is if you believe I am unwilling to be reasonable about a decision, so wrong about the decision that the admins would disagree with me, and that the decision is important enough to invest your time thusly.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Definitely also this. I ventured out of the regional threads for a while, but decided it wasn't worth it the moment it became clear that certain posters are not actually subject to the rules of D&D. No one is going to want to put in effort discussing a topic when the other person is just going to be allowed to make poo poo up and not respond to your criticism of their position.

No posters are immune from D&D's rules. There is some amount of leniency afforded to posters who are providing high quality discussion or are experts in a relevant subject, but that is only a lessening of punishment or an additional chance. If they consistently break the rules, particularly in the same way repeatedly, they will be punished like everyone else.

Koos Group fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Oct 29, 2022

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

I like current D&D because it's really proven out my theory that as the regular posters got what they asked for and wanted they would become more miserable.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

A Buttery Pastry posted:

After a rocky few weeks with too much mod-intervention/trolling, it appears the mod team has backed off trying to enforce its vision of the forum on the regional threads where the thread consensus is that the thread is better when the mods stay away. So, good job staying out.

I think you misunderstand how this works. The point of trying to get an IK for Scandipol was to offer the thread to have a voice in a hypothetical moderation action. As the thread has broadly ignored the offer to self-moderate itself, no one is going to be consulted when in mods’ subjective opinion something has to be done in it.

The concern of D&D is not how posters post somewhere else, or how they have posted in the past, unless they’re posting in bad faith and allege to hold immediately contradictory opinions. If you want to gossip your posting enemies, instead of challenging their argument on merits, do that somewhere else.

IC1 and IIC1 differ in that being a passive aggressive rear end in a top hat goes under IC1 even if you don’t ever mention a poster, but a non-negative commentary about other posters is still not welcome in D&D.

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Let D&D be poo poo posty lite again

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Elephant Ambush posted:

It should also no longer be against the rules to be mean to people like them because they deserve it for trying to be the main characters of this forum and dictate how everyone else should follow their rules and posting style. They're also constantly wrong and anyone who points that out with a sarcastic joke gets probated and that's bullshit

We're adults here, not in high school debate club and we should be able to post like adults instead of walking on :decorum: eggshells so that we don't bruise this rules-obsessed dweeb's fragile little ego

Just post in C-SPAM if you want to post in C-SPAM. The whole point of having multiple subforums is to meet different expectations of different posters, and “recreational hipfiring about politics” is well served already by one.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Do you have any recent examples of this?

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Just post in C-SPAM if you want to post in C-SPAM. The whole point of having multiple subforums is to meet different expectations of different posters, and “recreational hipfiring about politics” is well served already by one.
nah, ill keep posting here, mainly in usce and politoon, like ive done for a decade plus

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

World Famous W posted:

nah, ill keep posting here, mainly in usce and politoon, like ive done for a decade plus

Just saying, there’s a fine political style sheet right next door.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
i like the company here, most the time

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Just saying, there’s a fine political style sheet right next door.

I still think we should have a style sheet based on this fresco: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/49/%22The_School_of_Athens%22_by_Raffaello_Sanzio_da_Urbino.jpg

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Only if with a Serif font :colbert:

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I think you misunderstand how this works. The point of trying to get an IK for Scandipol was to offer the thread to have a voice in a hypothetical moderation action. As the thread has broadly ignored the offer to self-moderate itself, no one is going to be consulted when in mods’ subjective opinion something has to be done in it.
"Something has to be done"? The people causing trouble before you went in to advocate for an IK were mods. We've got a perfectly stable system going on in Scandipol, no reason to mess with it.

Koos Group posted:

No posters are immune from D&D's rules. There is some amount of leniency afforded to posters who are providing high quality discussion or are experts in a relevant subject, but that is only a lessening of punishment or an additional chance. If they consistently break the rules, particularly in the same way repeatedly, they will be punished like everyone else.
Can you explain why this is the case? I would think someone posting "as an expert" should be subject to greater scrutiny, given that they're essentially being raised up above other posters as official experts. Like, is this not just an officially sanctioned appeal to authority?

Incidentally, what is the criteria for being judged as an "expert in a relevant subject"? Because I remember a thread where the resident expert clearly showed that their expertise was regurgitating a blinkered version of their supposed area of expertise. You're not really doing the forum a service by elevating certain voices over others, since it just becomes another way to launder mod bias.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Do you have any recent examples of this?
No, because I decided it wasn't worth my while. But given that people are still making the same criticism about the same posters, I trust that they do. It's not like this hasn't been an issue for years, probably the entire decade I've been posting here, so I wouldn't expect things to have changed essentially over night.

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Only if with a Serif font :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_38tKOlBTXU

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Can you explain why this is the case? I would think someone posting "as an expert" should be subject to greater scrutiny, given that they're essentially being raised up above other posters as official experts. Like, is this not just an officially sanctioned appeal to authority?

Incidentally, what is the criteria for being judged as an "expert in a relevant subject"? Because I remember a thread where the resident expert clearly showed that their expertise was regurgitating a blinkered version of their supposed area of expertise. You're not really doing the forum a service by elevating certain voices over others, since it just becomes another way to launder mod bias.

I would define an expert as someone who has direct experience in a certain field or with a certain phenomenon and is consequently more knowledgeable about it that a layman. We do of course scrutinize whether they are lying about that experience, and will punish them if they are, since that is an extreme form of bad faith. It also is appeal to authority, yes.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

A Buttery Pastry posted:

"Something has to be done"? The people causing trouble before you went in to advocate for an IK were mods. We've got a perfectly stable system going on in Scandipol, no reason to mess with it.

For as long as no mod is going to have a reason to consider moderation action in the thread, sure, everyone there seems to be having a perfectly fine time. If a mod will consider intervening, be that reason a report or someone just browsing the thread at leisure, they’ll however unlikely leave everyone in the thread happy, for the reasons I’ve enunciated in the thread - y’all, funnily enough, touch grass so much that it’s difficult to establish proper context by simply reading up on the thread, with no mods presently living in the region. If the thread would have an IK in that scenario, all intervention considerations would get deferred to the IK via regional threads’ prerogative to self-moderation, and potentially hamfisted mod intervention would only come if the IK royally misses the mark on expectations, e.g., the conclusion of Cardiac’s tenure.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Oct 29, 2022

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Lib and let die posted:

Elephant Ambush posted:

lmao

So basically you want to be a mod and the sole poster in this forum because you think you're always right and smarter than everyone else

You are actually one of the dumbest and most arrogant and condescending assholes on this or any other forum and this place would be a million times better for actual debate and discussion if you and evilweasel were forum banned

So that's my feedback. Forum bans for this delusional poindexter and his idiot doppelganger evilweasel. They're not nearly as smart as they want everyone else to think they are and all they do is whine about strictly enforced rules which just happen to align with the idea that their posts should never be challenged by anyone

I also still maintain that Koos being in charge is some kind of long con troll on this forum to try to make it as miserable for everyone as possible and I want to call that out again just in case anyone forgot. I don't believe anything he says and every post he makes just looks like any other fyad style fakepost dressed up in fake decorum

Things were great for a short while after he took over but in the last few months nobody but the echo chamber liberals want to post in CE and I'm sure DV and EW love it because there's a lot less people to tell them they're wrong. I don't know if it was one of those two guys but lib and let die got doxxed because he dared push back on and make fun of democrats and if democrat supporters get to run this show by constantly spamming reports and whining to mods when they don't get their way then this place will be nothing but a liberal support group that doxxes people for correctly making GBS threads all over their demonstrable failure of an ideology. And it wouldn't surprise me if that same psycho tries to doxx me for making this very post. Stop coddling and sheltering these centrist nutjobs

And now I'm sure Koos is laughing and saying "mission accomplished" after reading this. Helluva job. You got a "meltdown". Congrats

Fister Roboto posted:

I'll add a +1 to these.

It really is more of the same; One sided moderation designed to keep dedicated centrists safe from any dissenting opinions that may upset their delicate balances and self-described "experts" who continue to get a free pass while violating the same rules they keep screeching and demanding everyone else be held accountable to because they couch it in enough :words: that Koos has decided they must be super smart to have such long paragraphs.

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

i find it fascinating that any talk about the geneva convention is forbidden in a thread about an ongoing war.

keep up the good work!

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013

the_steve posted:

It really is more of the same; One sided moderation designed to keep dedicated centrists safe from any dissenting opinions that may upset their delicate balances and self-described "experts" who continue to get a free pass while violating the same rules they keep screeching and demanding everyone else be held accountable to because they couch it in enough :words: that Koos has decided they must be super smart to have such long paragraphs.

I should clarify that the "expert" rule does not come up often (the only one in my recent memory was someone who lived in Haiti while possible international intervention there was being discussed) and that it does not simply mean someone who is smart or claims to know a lot. To be an expert one needs to actually have qualifications, such as a direct connection to something, work in a field, or an accredited certification.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Koos Group posted:

I would define an expert as someone who has direct experience in a certain field or with a certain phenomenon and is consequently more knowledgeable about it that a layman. We do of course scrutinize whether they are lying about that experience, and will punish them if they are, since that is an extreme form of bad faith. It also is appeal to authority, yes.
But why even afford them any extra leeway? Either their posts reflect that apparent expertise or they don't, doesn't really matter if they have a diploma or whatever. And of course direct experience also means a risk of some deep biases. Like, an American police officer would qualify as an expert on criminal justice because they work in the field, but you'd have to be the most naïve person in the world to treat more than a handful as an expert on anything the system is ostensibly about.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

For as long as no mod is going to have a reason to consider moderation action in the thread, sure, everyone there seems to be having a perfectly fine time. If a mod will consider intervening, be that reason a report or someone just browsing the thread at leisure, they’ll however unlikely leave everyone in the thread happy, for the reasons I’ve enunciated in the thread - y’all, funnily enough, touch grass so much that it’s difficult to establish proper context by simply reading up on the thread, with no mods presently living in the region. If the thread would have an IK in that scenario, all intervention considerations would get deferred to the IK via regional threads’ prerogative to self-moderation, and potentially hamfisted mod intervention would only come if the IK royally misses the mark on expectations, e.g., the conclusion of Cardiac’s tenure.
I'm pretty sure everyone is aware that this is the price of having no IK - but that's preferred to upsetting the status quo by adding one. The value proposition is even worse for people invited to be IKs, especially if they want to post outside D&D.

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013

A Buttery Pastry posted:

But why even afford them any extra leeway? Either their posts reflect that apparent expertise or they don't, doesn't really matter if they have a diploma or whatever. And of course direct experience also means a risk of some deep biases. Like, an American police officer would qualify as an expert on criminal justice because they work in the field, but you'd have to be the most naïve person in the world to treat more than a handful as an expert on anything the system is ostensibly about.

I believe encouraging them to post serves D&D's educational purpose because they would be more likely to teach us something about whatever field than a layman. Again, being an expert does not mean the can violate D&D's rules with impunity, nor does it mean one can't argue against them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

tristeham posted:

i find it fascinating that any talk about the geneva convention is forbidden in a thread about an ongoing war.

keep up the good work!

You’ll be even more fascinated if you actually read the rule you are referencing. Simply copy-pasting half-page excerpts from the Geneva Convention or some other international legal framework because you’re larping a Nuremberg tribunal judge is what is discouraged in absence of meriting circumstances, such as a news agency citing it wrong, or you being a lawyer with relevant expertise in what is being discussed. What’s even funnier, with you being active in the C-SPAM’s Ukraine thread, is that the buttons on this rule have predominantly been pushed on people trying to “argue” how something with absolutely no details available must absolutely not be a Ukrainian war crime. That and the rule not concerning itself with something being characterised as a war crime - just with the tedium that comes with people pasting large globs of legal texts and then arguing how they, with a master’s degree in posting on D&D, interpret it.