Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
I've noticed a trickle of folks whose gimmick is vacuous or shallow questions - not even hostile JAQ-ing off, but just a stream of simple questions or confused naïveté - in order to either get a rise out of thread regulars, or to crowd out headline-driven thread interest when the news cycle is embarrassing to their favourite authoritarians

(the contrived ignorance can be readily detected by clicking Post History and observing the posts in the other forum)

So without naming names, I'd like to specifically praise the recent mod activity to call out and enforce threadbans for this, which I feel has improved the D&D China thread noticeably

ronya fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Oct 29, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
as a occasional lurker in the non-regional threads, my hot take is: just explicitly partition the problem threads by ideology already. It's already de facto the case

the Girondins and Montagnards didn't work out their differences three centuries ago; dying debate subforum sure as hell isn't going to find the solution today

most of the interesting posts are people who know the subject matter (be it through personal experience, technical expertise, or the simple patience to sit down and read about the subject for an hour) setting it out for people who don't, not liberals and leftists sniping at each other tediously. There is no fruitful exchange of thoughts without at least some shared assumptions on how the world works

the regional threads are less subject to this problem because the disengaged are also typically disinterested, but US politics threads could really benefit from this

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.

some plague rats posted:

What? I don't get this. You're mad that people are asking questions? Not JAQing off, which is illegal, but asking questions? Why is that something that riles up the thread regulars?

disparity of effort - e.g., asking questions that would require explaining a lot of basics, when clicking on your post history shows that you have some domain knowledge and formed opinions already

it's a way to get around the "make serious arguments" rule: ask unserious questions